Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a similar problem. Along with people on phones, I also have people who leave their phones on the table. When I fill up people's drinks, I'm always surrounded by two or three phones. They say it's my fault if I spill anything onto them, but seriously people, STICK THEM SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Comment

Quoth Totiono View Post
      If they were still on the phone when it came their turn in line she would very loudly say "SIR/MISS, THERE ON THE PHONE. What can I start for you?"
      I like the cut of her jib

Quoth Zellie Crescent View Post
      If you are on your phone you WILL be ignored! And we meant it too, no matter how much they complained.
      There are some places -- especially small restaurants -- in NOLA that do this; they enforce it, too. The ones that do it, will actually make people on phones step back so that the next person can be helped. It's so wonderful ^_^
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
        Sorta off topic but maybe not: am I the only person who flushes the nearest toilet when there's somebody on the phone in the bathroom with me?
        That is so evil but so funny. I'll be doing that from now on too.

(I have hung up on people who have been talking to me while they were in the loo. It is just plain rude and )
        A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth PoliteBoy View Post
          I have a similar problem. Along with people on phones, I also have people who leave their phones on the table. When I fill up people's drinks, I'm always surrounded by two or three phones. They say it's my fault if I spill anything onto them, but seriously people, STICK THEM SOMEWHERE ELSE.
          I have clumsy hands so I can empathize with that. I could never be a server mostly because I just don't have enough patience for people but also because I'd constantly spill or drop things. I get anxiety even just seeing those huge trays filled to the brim with plates and drinks.

Sometimes I just wish phones could be banned from restaurants altogether. The amount of tables I see where everybody in the party is fiddling around with their phones instead of actually talking to each other makes me sad. I also just do not understand the obsession people have with taking pictures of their food.

Comment

Quoth Totiono View Post
            I also just do not understand the obsession people have with taking pictures of their food.
            This! This exactly! Why would I care about your ham egg 'n' chips?

The only pictures of food I have ever taken were wedding/major event cakes and the odd occasion when one of our office bakers really outdid themselves (e.g. a chocolate cake with the top covered in Maltesers, then a whole stream carefully glued to each other and topped with an empty Malteser packet, making it look like the Maltesers had been poured out of the packet onto the cake).
            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
              a chocolate cake with the top covered in Maltesers, then a whole stream carefully glued to each other and topped with an empty Malteser packet, making it look like the Maltesers had been poured out of the packet onto the cake).
              Photo please? Because this sounds pretty cool.
              A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth Totiono View Post
                Sometimes I just wish phones could be banned from restaurants altogether. The amount of tables I see where everybody in the party is fiddling around with their phones instead of actually talking to each other makes me sad. I also just do not understand the obsession people have with taking pictures of their food.
                I've heard of some groups that when they go out to eat, everyone puts their phones in the middle of the table. First person to reach for their phone, pays the bill for the table.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I have to say, lately it's not talking on the phones which causes the problems. It's the distraction factor that blows my mind. Say you have a number and are waiting for your turn. You're bored. I know people (and sometimes myself, too!) seem to have no attention span, and must be entertained at all times. You start messing with your phone. After a time you look up and realize you missed your number. By a bunch. Do you...

a. Sadly get another number.
                  b. Apologize to employee and ask nicely if they could help you when they finish.
                  c. Start muttering about how you were missed, and when the next number is called you get in front of the other person, dump your stuff on the counter and say "you skipped me!"
                  OR!
                  d. Run up to employee who is helping someone else and start telling them how NO ONE called your number, and you were SKIPPED and say that it always happens and that it's ridiculous, there is no system, and demand to be helped right now! If this doesn't happen instantly, throw your stuff on the floor like a child and storm off.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

A or B works for me.

DH and I do tend to be using phones for Web surfing or reading while eating, but we've worked that out as being OK, and we do still converse.
                    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
                      Photo please? Because this sounds pretty cool.
                      Here you go. This was the brain-child of my manager, who did it on a whim to see if she could get it to work; her assistant manager also bakes, the assistant manager of our sister department bakes (when she's not out on audit), the new junior from her department bakes, the new receptionist bakes, a couple of guys in the tax department bake... We've got less than 30 people in the whole damn branch! Add in the I've-had-a-birthday-so-I-have-to-bring-in-cakes weeks and there's never an absence of sweet or savoury baked goods. I've gone up a dress-size in the last year

Click image for larger version

Name:	The cake.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	2030532
                      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

That's really cool!
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                          Nope. Once I did that in a McDonalds loo cuz this woman was on the phone while she was peeing. XD
                          I recall walking into the men's room at work only to hear someone singing in the stall. Then I humored myself throughout the day by makig a list of possible songs that are appropriate, such as "Please release me, let me go", anything by Fallout Bot, "Push It" by Salt n Pepa, etc.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                            Here you go.
                            That is awesome.

I love to bake but only do it once every couple of months because I would be going up in size too otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                            X