This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In which I find the right words at the right time

I had a talker earlier. You know the type, they love the sound of their own voice & ignore everything else until they get the one resolution they've predetermined as the End of Loop trigger.

This one was a particularly egregious example, wearing not one but two hoodies for extra insularity; I couldn't detect headphones but I can't rule them out, the only thing I'm reasonably sure of is a lack of genuine disability - they could hear, they just chose not to. Henceforth I shall refer to them as the LIC - Listening Impaired Customer:

LIC: I can't get in.
    Me: Okay, let me just check your Oyster*
    *prepayment card for London public transport; so-called "smart card" capable of holding cash or preset period tickets, and using them in combination as required.
    LIC: [Before I've finished checking] I've got a travel card but I went overdrawn?
    Me: Yes, I can see here that you put the ticket on before the journey that you were charged for. This was an error and you can get your money back, but I can't fix it so for now you'll have to pay that off; it will be refunded when you call the provider to report the issue.
    LIC: But I don't want it to charge me.
    Me: It shouldn't charge you again. I can't guarantee that but it's not supposed to have charged you before either, so the possibility exists. Still, unless you pay this off now then it will remain disabled so it's best to do it. If it does happen again then you can get them to fix both problems at the same time.
    LIC: But I can't get in.
    Me: Not until you pay, no.
    LIC: I bought a ticket and still got charged.
    Me: ...

And repeat. And repeat again. And yet again. A queue is forming. We're getting nowhere, for the sake of a couple of pounds that is guaranteed to be refunded.

I get fed up, and start varying my script: "I've told you this three times now, ..." (it was closer to 5, but start small.) No effect.

After a few more iterations there's now a queue out the door. As I'm telling him this is now the fifth cycle (more like tenth) a phrase pops fully formed into mind. This is the one. This is it. This could work!

Me: "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive. Now..."

LIC blue-screens. You can see them rebooting as I repeat their only options one last time, and this time it has indeed stuck! They pay, and piss off.

The next customer, who has seen most of this, is crying with laughter. He cheers me up, and the rest of the queue is handled in seconds per transaction.

Just... why?!?!?!
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
    Just... why?!?!?!
    Because the stupid is strong with some people!

And "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive." is an epic line.
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

I've encountered people like this before -- fortunately, they were few and far between. I'm just glad the following customer (and hopefully the others) were cool with it! I was picturing you standing up, leaning forward to the edge of your cashier cage/window, and shouting the line so that everyone could hear it...

That, and I was looking for a fresh quotation for my sig line Thanks!
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth BeeMused View Post
        And "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive." is an epic line.
        I was, and am, so proud... I got it out without hesitation, deviation, or repetition, nor the little stutter I sometimes develop when seriously stressed. It was just the right line, at just the right time, and if I never accomplish anything else then I shall always have this.

EricKei, I am honoured. /bow
        Last edited by RealUnimportant; 03-09-2015, 08:59 PM.
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I was, and am, so proud... I got it out without hesitation, deviation, or repetition
          But did you fill the minute?
          ludo ergo sum

Comment

Me: "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive. Now..."

LIC blue-screens. You can see them rebooting as I repeat their only options one last time, and this time it has indeed stuck! They pay, and piss off.
            W00T! You got through! Amazing. Some people just will not comprehend anything outside themselves.

I so hate going around and around with people like that, having to say things over and over and over because they cannot be bothered to listen. You have my sympathies. Have a you deserve it.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I really am going to have to remember that one. It could be so handy!
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I hate people like that; they seem to think that if they keep on asking, they will eventually get the answer they want. Even if that is impossible, cuz they are asking for the impossible, they will not stop!
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                X