Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always ask, just because about 40% of my customers don't want bags and it's easier to ask than to un-bag it after they pay. I work in a bookstore though.

Our store does have these nice little sturdy paper bags with handles of twisted paper. For some reason people are insane for these stupid bags. People will buy a votive candle and ask for a 'handle bag'. One magazine- 'handle bag' (one woman bought 8 magazines and asked for a separate bag for each one- I got to shut her down as at that point we'd been told to give people only one of those bags at a time, they're expensive!).

What do they use these magical bags for? Gift bags (because a brown paper bag with the store logo on it just screams CLASS), and lunch bags. Lunch bags. Because actually buying a real lunch box is apparently beyond them. I think some people come in every week and buy something just to get this amazing 'lunch bag' we give out.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I reuse plastic shopping bags as lunch bags. I don't take more than my groceries require and I don't have stuff double-bagged unnecessarily.

I would buy a reusable lunch bag but there aren't any large enough to hold the containers I bring food in.

When I'm done with the bag, I recycle it in the bin provided at work. When we've accumulated enough plastic (from the recycle bins as well as plastic used as packing material and recycled when removed from merchandise) we bale it and sell it to a recycling company.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I've been using reusably grocery bags for years now. Since I walk and carry a backpack, I usually keep 4-5 in the backpack (and load the backpack up with the heavy stuff). I find the reusable bags hold more and are sturdier than plastic bags anyway. Outside of groceries, if I get the bags out in time, or have them in hand, I'll use them, otherwise I just take whatever I'm given.

I do use plastic bags as garbage bags for my small containers; but I have enough 'saved' up now to last me till the next century.

For lunches, I picked up a Thermo reusable bag at the grocery store, and they're perfect. Bigger than regular lunch bags but still small enough to carry easily. (About a quarter the size of the reusable grocery bags and with a zipper close). I'm on my 3rd one since I started using them a few years ago.

Comment

I started carrying reusable bags because I'm a tree-hugger. Lets save the environment one plastic tree at a time. There finally came a day when I had no more plastic shopping bags in my home. I was SO proud! That's when I realized that I used 4 a day to clean the litter boxes. (Twice a day, double bagged so I didn't scatter litter through the house as I went out to the trash can.)

I begged my co-workers to give me their grocery bags and the next day I could barely fit all of them in my trunk.

When I go to work after the weekend, there is always a pile of used grocery store bags waiting for me.

Now, OTOH, I do like to ask for a paper bag when I remember to. The same beasts who fill the litter boxes also love playing with paper bags. I certainly wouldn't yell at anyone if there were no paper bags to be had, and I'd never take one without buying something that could go into it.

Comment

In October this year, bags are five pence each and there will be no more free bags.

I await the fall out...
            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
              I started carrying reusable bags because I'm a tree-hugger. Lets save the environment one plastic tree at a time. There finally came a day when I had no more plastic shopping bags in my home. I was SO proud! That's when I realized that I used 4 a day to clean the litter boxes. (Twice a day, double bagged so I didn't scatter litter through the house as I went out to the trash can.)

I begged my co-workers to give me their grocery bags and the next day I could barely fit all of them in my trunk.

When I go to work after the weekend, there is always a pile of used grocery store bags waiting for me.

Now, OTOH, I do like to ask for a paper bag when I remember to. The same beasts who fill the litter boxes also love playing with paper bags. I certainly wouldn't yell at anyone if there were no paper bags to be had, and I'd never take one without buying something that could go into it.
              I did that too! I used my cloth grocery bags until I was out of plastic, and realized that now I had nothing to line my little garbage cans with (the cans that I bought *because* they fit those bags so nicely?) So I asked on Freecycle, and got a whole pile of plastic to last me a long while. Proving once again, that one man's trash really is another man's treasure!

Comment

I always wonder why people want to use the plastic bags at the local supermarket. These ones are paper thin and rip so easily that they're useless. I walk to the supermarket and back and no way on hell am I going to make that journey with my shopping in crapola plastic bags! I bring reusable bags cuz they're sturdy, strong and I can walk home carrying my shopping with no risk of the bag disintegrating in the middle of the road.
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth ladyjaneinmd View Post
                  I did that too! I used my cloth grocery bags until I was out of plastic, and realized that now I had nothing to line my little garbage cans with (the cans that I bought *because* they fit those bags so nicely?) So I asked on Freecycle, and got a whole pile of plastic to last me a long while. Proving once again, that one man's trash really is another man's treasure!
                  That was so smart. I wouldn't have thought to do that. When you figured it out did you do a D'oh forehead slap like I did? Sure didn't think that one through, did I?

Lace you are so right about them being flimsy. I have to double bag the used cat food I take out twice a day because one, if not both of them will have a small hole.

I think I'm the only one at work who uses cloth grocery bags. So many reasons (excuses)..."Its too hard to remember them!" Well, when you empty them, toss them back in your car. "They get dirty." Just toss them in the washing machine when you do laundry, they don't take up a lot of room, and you are going to have to wash your clothes sometime. My personal favorite is "Why should I buy my own bags when the store gives them to me for free?" SO many things wrong with that, some times people just don't think.

I really do wish stores here would start charging for them, or at least give a discount if you bring your own. It would be much better for the environment.

Comment

My aunt sews reusable shopping bags and sells them at craft shows. I commissioned her to sew me some bags of out of my leftover quilt fabric. She also gifts me with sewing related bags (for trips to the fabric store of course!) or horse fabric bags, since I love horses.

It's funny because I get so many complements on how "cool" my bags are.
                    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                      My aunt sews reusable shopping bags and sells them at craft shows. I commissioned her to sew me some bags of out of my leftover quilt fabric. She also gifts me with sewing related bags (for trips to the fabric store of course!) or horse fabric bags, since I love horses.

It's funny because I get so many complements on how "cool" my bags are.
                      Those sound lovely. Can she make some cat related ones for me? I'll send her pictures of my cats. Of course, I won't be willing to pay more than 2 bucks each for them.

I'm kidding. I'M REALLY KIDDING.

see the smiley?

Please don't hurt me.

Comment

haha! Actually she only charges $6 each for them. And they last forever.
                        https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Oh good. I'm still alive and undamaged.

That's really not a bad price at all. I made my own bags out of fabric scraps because I didn't like the unfinished seams on the ones at various stores. They were 4-5 dollars each and I didn't think they would survive more than a couple of washings.

Comment

Sobeys has a bag for life program for their basic bags. The 2$ reusable bags are heavy duty plastic/vinyl/something, with cloth handles that last for months, if not years. And they will replace them for free when they wear out/if they break/tear. I've got about a dozen in total, and usually have 5-6 in my bookbag at all times so they're handy when I do do my grocery shopping. And they easily hold 4-6 grocery bags worth of stuff without strain too.

Comment

I'll never understand people and their bag obsession. My favorite is the "I'm on the third floor" comment from people who bag things like milk and bottles of bleach. I lived on the third floor once too, but I never bagged stuff that has a handle on it. I love my re-useable bags - which reminds me that I get a lot of comments now about people being afraid that we're going to ban plastic bags "Just like Seattle" - omg! those crazy liberals! I am on the east side of the mountains from Seattle now but I grew up over there, it's a funny dynamic
                              Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

I had 16 bags. Yes SIXTEEN bags to go through 3 shifts. I had a guy curse me out because I didnt double bag his beer. IM WALKING HOME. MY CAR IS BROKE DOWN. Sorry bud. No cares. None. Not a one.

Comment

Working...
                                X