Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got severance when I left Payless and it was only one store that was closing. The Swamp is/was a mess.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

After riding one company to it's end, I can say there is a chance they will never get what is owed to them. I am still owed 2 paychecks from the company I worked for and they have said there is no way I will ever get my money. They told me to my face that the company is shut down, the bank account is closed, the former owner is broke and everything he owned was taken already.

They told us we could try to sue him, but we would be so far down the list that he would be dead before he pays off everyone before us.

Comment

That's a depressingly common thing here in Silicon Valley. It's a known and accepted part of the whole "start-up" culture--if your idea or product or whatever doesn't pan out, your employer may run out of money. Usually they're also in debt to the point where selling all of the office furniture and equipment won't cover more than a small fraction of the debt. So you don't get paid for your last one or two (sometimes more!) pay periods, let alone get severance.

I think the presumption is that the pay before that is good enough, and the possibility of the company/product is good enough, that you're willing to take that sort of risk.

Not me. I've only ever worked for large companies and government agencies...
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I always wondered what store was being called the "Clearance Swamp" here! I almost never shopped at Shopko because their prices were too high. When you can get a nearly-identical (or better) item for half the price at Walmart, Ross or Target, why spend more?

The clearance sales just dragged on. By the time they got down to a decent discount, very little was left. I did luck out and got a pair of boots and a pair of sneakers at great prices (and my shoe size is really difficult to find!) Almost bought a display bookcase for $10, but there was no way it would fit in my car and no way to take it apart to make it fit.

Sorry to hear the former employees are getting stiffed on their pay. I hope Senator Baldwin can help them.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
            Almost bought a display bookcase for $10, but there was no way it would fit in my car and no way to take it apart to make it fit.
            Reminds me of Irv having to play Tetris with the customers' furniture. Glad you aren't the type to do that to them.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
              Reminds me of Irv having to play Tetris with the customers' furniture. Glad you aren't the type to do that to them.
              Oh no. When we first moved out here and had to buy all new furniture, we rented a U-Haul truck and went to the furniture stores with it. The employees were very happy not to have to try to wrestle a queen-size bed into a Chevy Metro!
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Hah hah hah! I used to have a mom-van. I could fit a queen mattress in it, but not the box springs. That thing was huge, though, and I could get a LOT of stuff in it. 6 bales of hay. 5 goats. 7 children, or 3 plus luggage. Now it's UHaul all the way...

Comment

I have discovered over the last 6 months of moving everything out of my house to my late mum's bungalow that a Toyota Yaris with the back seats down can hold a remarkable amount of stuff. Still going to need someone with a van for the bookcase, beds and settee, though...
                  "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I am a fan of small cars. I have, as a result, managed to carry an awful lot of stuff that most people didn't think would fit. Particularly into my old Honda CRX. (Think 80s-vintage Civic hatchback with the back seat area chopped out and the car shortened by that much.)

I moved a steamer trunk type container for a friend who was moving; the van he had borrowed couldn't fit it but my CRX could!
                    I moved a whole antique vanity desk/mirror assembly, plus weekend getaway luggage, plus my (now-) wife and myself. The guy at the antique shop said, "I'll wait until you pull your truck around." No, my truck is right there. That little tiny hatch-back? Yeah, that one. I had to take the luggage out and re-pack it around the desk, but by gum it fit!
                    On a couple of occasions, we moved four dozen helium balloons. OK, those weren't inside the car, they were actually out the sunroof. I told people we were trying to get to Oz...
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                      I am a fan of small cars. I have, as a result, managed to carry an awful lot of stuff that most people didn't think would fit.
                      In my case it was a 6 seater table plus 4 dining chairs. That raised a few eyebrows at the tip! Sadly they couldn't sell the chairs as they were covered and the previous owner removed the fire labels so they had to be scrapped, but the table was hardwood and was sold on.
                      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I have had several small cars. Fold down the back seat. Carefully arrange stuff. You can get a lot in one.

However, when I bought my house, I also bought an '71 F250. I am pretty sure that I would not have gotten all 36, 60LBS bags of concrete home, in one trip, in an '89 Ford Festiva.
                        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                        Save the Ales!
                        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                          I have had several small cars.
                          Back seat? What's that??

(Yes, the JDM cars had one, but mine was a US-market car.)

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                            I have had several small cars. Fold down the back seat. Carefully arrange stuff. You can get a lot in one.

However, when I bought my house, I also bought an '71 F250. I am pretty sure that I would not have gotten all 36, 60LBS bags of concrete home, in one trip, in an '89 Ford Festiva.
                            And here we have this classic story from years gone by: Overloaded Car.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Back in the day, I had an apartment by a major mall that had a Snears Clearance Center.

When I was feeling really bored, I'd walk over to the gas station beside it for a drink and just watch people try to load the cheap furniture into their cars by themselves.

The best were the ones who had a mattress and box spring, put it on the roof and securely tied it down going through the car.

All was good until they realized that they had managed to tie the car doors shut as they had just rolled down the windows.

Most would swear, undo everything, and then redo it with the doors open.

Others would just do a Dukes of Hazzard and climb in through the rolled down windows and drive away.

B
                              "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                              I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                                And here we have this classic story from years gone by: Overloaded Car.
                                That reminds me of the car I saw pulled over on a freeway onramp (wish I had my camera for it.) They had 3 full sized refrigerators on the roof and a washing machine sticking out of the trunk of a beat up civic. The driver was arguing with one officer while another officer was taking pictures of the car. I could hear the guy screaming that they had no right to stop him driving with his car loaded like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X