Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Check your meds and be careful with heat everyone!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check your meds and be careful with heat everyone!

So Hubby and I went to Denver PrideFest yesterday. We were having a great time touring the booths and such, when he started to feel unwell. Within 5 minutes he was sitting down (so he didn't pass out) with EMS on the way (side note: the Transgender Center of The Rockies may well have saved his life by calling EMS and giving him water).

Turns out one of Hubby's medications dramatically increases heat sensitivity. We didn't know that. His blood pressure when the paramedics got to us was 100 / 32. That's "you really shouldn't be conscious right now" numbers. A trip to the ER later and two full bags of IV saline and he was feeling better.

For those in the Northern Hemisphere where it is currently summer, please be careful when out and about during the day. Take a shade umbrella, wear sunscreen, make sure you're hydrated (if you aren't peeing clear urine every 2 hours you aren't drinking enough water) and get checked out if you start to feel sick.

Stay safe in the sun!
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

One of my blood pressure meds will do that. Got to be careful of jeat stroke.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

The older I get, the more I turn into a vampire: avoiding the sun as much as possible. Many days my only exposure is in the dash from my apartment to my car and vice-versa, from my car to my workplace or store and vice-versa. I haven't been a "sun bunny" in many, many decades.

Although I might be out and about a bit more if I bought one of those lovely parasols I see coming back into fashion ...
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
        The older I get, the more I turn into a vampire: avoiding the sun as much as possible.
        Sunglasses and hat for me (I'm visually sensitive to bright light). I also tend to wear long sleeves and long pants later in the spring/summer than most, but I am living in Virginia, so there are limits.

Comment

So glad your hubby is feeling better . . . heatstroke is NO joke!

Sun sensitivity is becoming a common side effect of prescription meds - that informational leaflet your pharmacist staples onto the bag - don't throw away but instead read through them thoroughly to see what to watch for, how to take the meds and other information.

Any time me or someone in my house is given a new medication, I have to read through that information before the first dose is even taken - otherwise one of us can get sick unexpectedly.

As far as being heat sensitive, I'm becoming that way now due to a combination of menopause effects and prescription meds. I try to keep my drapes closed when it's sunny outside so that the light doesn't bother my eyes so much (I also suffer from migraines and have for decades.)

When I'm out and about, I wear my glasses (and for those of you who wear them - try the Transitions lenses - they make it more comfortable to be out in sunny weather. ) and I'll generally wear something loose and light (t-shirts and jeans - I gave up wearing shorts some years ago) and, if near a beach, sunscreen. I try to avoid being out during midday (when the sun is strongest) but rather early in the morning or late in the afternoon/early evening hours.

Long sleeves, long pants and a hat are also a sound choice to keep from getting too much sun as well. Just use common sense and exercise caution.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes everyone! He is doing fine now.
            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
              The older I get, the more I turn into a vampire: avoiding the sun as much as possible. Many days my only exposure is in the dash from my apartment to my car and vice-versa, from my car to my workplace or store and vice-versa. I haven't been a "sun bunny" in many, many decades.

Although I might be out and about a bit more if I bought one of those lovely parasols I see coming back into fashion ...
              I'm with you there. I gave up sun when I was 13, and my skin got so dry that my cheeks would crack and bleed when I smiled. My whole life since then has been a constant search for the creams and lotions that would make me look less like the crypt keeper. I'm managing.
              I also had sun stroke too. In a city that is not known for being sunny. Temp of 101 for over a week, while I drank enough water to float a boat....and nowadays I drink so much water that my friends call me The Camel. I never want to do that again. The headache alone was horrible.
              Never again.

Comment

Working...
              X