Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My baby with cancer got yelled at at the movies!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My baby with cancer got yelled at at the movies!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nicole...usaolp00000592

This sounds like one of those PlanetFeedback or NotAlwaysRight stories we make fun of so much here.

Lady took her 20-month-old son to a Disney movie. He had spent the last 9 months in treatment for brain cancer, and had stopped communicating for a while. He was squealing and happy during the movie, and another moviegoer asked her to quiet her kid. She gets up and tells him

"To whoever said I should remove my son. This is Vito. I'm sorry he is a little different but he has brain cancer which changed his communication abilities."
    While I understand that her kid giggling happily is a wonderful thing to her, I would NEVER consider taking a child that young to a theater, ESPECIALLY if I knew he wouldn't be able to keep quiet. It doesn't matter that it's a Disney movie. In fact, that probably made it worse. How many kids in there couldn't enjoy the movie because of your baby? He still needs to be taught to be considerate of others, regardless of any sort of illness or disability, and she set a pretty bad example, IMO.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

I absolutely HATE it when people use disabilities as a reason they are above the rules. And this is coming from the mother of two disabled kids (and a third, non-disabled one). Now granted my kids have physical disabilities, and not emotional/intellectual ones, but still. I don't go places that aren't wheelchair accessible* and then get all butt-hurt that my kid can't enjoy whatever it is. Does is suck that the little one that uses the chair can't go to the tide pools his brothers love so much? Absolutely! Is there anything anybody can do about the fact that mother nature isn't wheelchair friendly? Not a damned thing. So we get over it and go find something that all the kids can enjoy.

*I do think that man made attractions/buildings should be made accessible to whatever extent is humanly possible. There are quite a number of lovely nature trails in my area that are perfectly accessible, and I think that's awesome. But there are limits with mother nature and engineering. Some rides are just not going to be possible if you can't use your legs to brace yourself. Some things in nature are just not possible to build and accessible path over. Shit happens. Oh well. As for the mother in the article, well, there are places where toddlers and their natural noise levels are perfectly appropriate, like Chuck E. Cheese and places of that nature. Take your kid there until he's a little older and can understand that some places require us to stay quiet.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Mom there also wasn't considering the fact that other people wouldn't automatically know that her kid had cancer. All they knew was they couldn't hear the movie.

Some theaters do special showings for just parents & kids. The kids are allowed to be as noisy as they want to be and everybody's happy.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

When I go to a kiddie movie, I expect a certain amount of noise. So this kid must have been REALLY loud for someone to confront them. She said he sounded 'different'- does he do that screeching thing where the kid is so high-pitched they could call dogs? Because that's unacceptable anywhere, let alone a movie theater.

And how did she know the man was even taking about her kid? Maybe it was a kid who was sitting behind him kicking his seat. It was dark, she didn't see who was speaking (I just skimmed the article, so maybe this is addressed, I don't have time to read it all now).
        Last edited by AnaKhouri; 05-28-2015, 01:07 PM.
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I love how she complains about the guy saying this in the dark. It was a movie theater...during a movie. I sure as hell HOPE it was in the dark.

What was she doing there with a child that young, anyway? >_<
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Sounds like the mom is your typical entitlement whore who looks for any excuse to justify her actions. Seriously, a 20 month old baby in any movie theatre is asking for comments, regardless of whatever else is going on with that child.

Parents like that almost turned me off of volunteering with special needs children many years ago. Too many of them expected the sun, moon, and stars to be handed to them just because their child was special needs. I get that it is hard to raise a child at the best of times, but when their demands are completely unreasonable it is so hard to not tell them off and put them in their place.

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
              ... put them in their place.
              ... but their *place* is already fulla ...

... their heads.

A classic case of S4B Syndrome.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Don't know if it is possible for you, but beach wheelchairs do exist. They have big inflated tires and are waterproof.
                "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                  Don't know if it is possible for you, but beach wheelchairs do exist. They have big inflated tires and are waterproof.
                  Several of my local beaches have them, but the tide pools require lots of climbing over rocks. We do go to the beach when we can, and take advantage of the wheelchair program. It's free. We just have to leave his regular chair with the lifeguard.
                  At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

"...And then I stood up and made an announcement about how my special precious snowflake is on his own unique journey and so therefore deserves a pass on behavior that we wouldn't allow from anyone else. And after I made this announcement, the complainers didn't even bother to come up and shake my hand at how wonderful he is, but instead slunk out like the slithering horrible cowards they are..."

Nice narrative this woman has in her head. Can't wait to see what this kid's like when he's twenty.

"And now every night I fail to sleep on a pillow drenched with tears, while somewhere evil sleeps in peace. Why oh why can no one see my suffering?"

Seriously, is she even capable of seeing this from someone else's point of view, or is she really that wrapped up in it?

It's not just the baby making a fuss during a movie that's bothering me, it's the fact that she made a proclamation wherein she clearly expected the audience to queue up and pat her on the back and tell her how awesome she was, and it didn't happen, and that more than anything else is making her miserable, so now she's making her appeal to a broader audience.

Comment

Working...
                    X