This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Rainy Day!

Have you ever heard the phrase saving for a rainy day?

Well my rainy day came last night. In the form of a burst pipe in my bathroom.

It poured through my kutchen ceiling, along the walls in the kitchen and down the back wall of my living room.

Fuckity fuck, fuck fucking fuck.

I went outside in the cold in my dressing gown and turned off the water. Fortunately the weather has turned a little warmer in the last day or too, so I can live without my heating overnight.

I call a plumber for the following day.

I go to bed. I still have to get up for work in the morning. But I wake up at about 3am. I have a shitty cold that I can't shift and I can't stop coughing. So I go down stairs, shift things away from the wet area, mop with towels, pull up the carpet, etc.

The plumber naturally doesn't arrive when he said he would. But does come eventually.

I have to leave work in the afternoon to be home with him. I have been in my job less than three weeks and am concerned what they will think about me taking time off.

Anyway, the plumber has to take toilet out to get at the bath. There is a split hose. He replaces that and then has to replace a plastic part in the toilet. It all takes two hours.

In the last couple of weeks my expenditure looks like this:

New glasses: £300
    New clothes for job: £150
    MOT test and service for car, plus brake pads: £225
    Emergency plumber: £280

Still to come: redecorating.

My savings for a rainy day are well and truly dried up.

Just to reiterate: fuckity, fucking fuck.

Oh, and I can't shift this damn cold.
    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Crap (no pun intended), I'm sorry you are having such an awful time lately! I've been worried about my finances but they're nothing like this. I hope this is the end of your streak of bad luck and things start to look up very soon. (Also hope your workplace didn't take it amiss that you had to leave to be home when the plumber got there!)

Comment

Just phoned my insurance company. They transfered me to another company to make a claim. That other company was the wrong one. Eventually I got the number for the right one, but they only open on Mon -Fri 9-5. Have I travelled back in time to the 70s?
      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Ugh, my friend had a similar problem recently. They have to replace their living room carpet because of a leak in an upstairs bathroom. (Their 9yo son helped pick out carpet, based on such criteria as, "it won't hurt when I roll off the couch" ).
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
          Just phoned my insurance company. They transfered me to another company to make a claim. That other company was the wrong one. Eventually I got the number for the right one, but they only open on Mon -Fri 9-5. Have I travelled back in time to the 70s?
          Probably not. By being open only M-F 9-5, they make themselves harder to get in touch with. If they're too hard to get in touch with, some people will give up before filing a claim. From the insurance company's perspective, a claim that's not filed because someone gave up is better than a claim denied, because with a claim denied the person is likely to appeal, which costs the insurance company MONEY. By making it as convenient as possible to pay premiums, but as inconvenient as possible to make claims, they boost their profit margin.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
          X