This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipe help please

I'm making a baked rice pudding. The recipe is a family one and is handwritten and a little ambiguous (to me anyway ) The issue I'm having is it seems to have a lot of milk.

here's the recipe as it is written:
    4c milk,1 c uncooked rice --boil together (add 1/2 cube butter, optional)

6 beaten eggs
    2-3 T vanilla
    4 c milk
    1/2 t salt
    1c sugar
    1 t cinnamon or nutmeg

mix and add to rice, bake in 9x13 pan 350F 40-50 minutes.

So the way it appears to me, does the 4 cups milk below mean the 4 cups you boil the rice in? Does 8 cups of milk seem ok because of how many eggs? I tried comparing it to recipes online but none of them have quite the same rice/milk/eggs ratio--usually 4 cups milk, 1/2 cup to 1 cup rice and 3-4 eggs.

Any pudding experts here?
    Last edited by flybye023; 02-21-2013, 08:32 PM.
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

That looks right actually, I know that rice will absorb twice its uncooked volume in liquid when it's cooked and (although I'm not actually going to check atm) that looks close to the recipe that I use for rice pudding. Mine doesn't use eggs though and has a few bits of butter put on top of the milk along with cinnamon and ginger to make a tasty skin on top of it.

Comment

Well, I just finished the prep work using 8 cups and it fills the pan without over filling, so I think that's right.

I'm wondering now if it would work in a crock pot or rice cooker.
      My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

I think baking it will get rid of a lot of the moisture. Do let us know how it turns out.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I have never had any luck using a crockpot on rice putting - I think it is because the heat is not even around the pot insert - it has loops of metal at 1 inch up and one again at 3 inches up. Doing it in an oven the heat is around the cooking vessel evenly. You really don't want hot spots around a pudding. I had scorch rings and it was hell cleaning the insert
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Ok, it's done according to the recipe and it turned out fine. What moisture didn't get absorbed baked up into a nice custard. I think though, that I might add another 1/4 cup rice next time. Also, I put 1/2 t cinnamon and 1/2 t nutmeg. It's really good

@AccountingDrone: Thanks for the input. I didn't realize that about crockpots. I think too, that a rice cooker might scorch the milk so that might not work either.

Comment

I have a crockpot rice pudding recipe, but after trying unsuccessfully several times to get it to work (always came out dry and burnt around spots on the edges), I've given up on it. The recipe you posted looks nummy though!
              Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

I have a crockpot rice pudding recipe that calls for arborio rice, since it is starchy. It's really good, and the only rice pudding I've ever made. It doesn't call for eggs, just sugar, milk (at least 2% fat), rice, and salt.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                X