This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• owwww

I was trying to make dinner and had poured hot chicken stock from my pot into a bowl so I could use the pot. I opened my cupboard to get some rice and a 5 lb bag of grits fell out into the bowl. A wave of hot chicken stock washed over me. I'm not a screaming type, but I screamed. I stripped insanely fast and was in cold shower in my socks within seconds. I think that's why my burns are all first degree. Still, I'm in a lot of pain and wrapped in gauze, mostly my lower stomach. I have some prescription silver cream from when I was burned at work in the past and it's not expired yet, so I've put a good sized dent in that. It's good for healing and preventing infections. The whole thing scared me so bad, though, I couldn't stop shaking for an hour. I just know it could have been a whole lot worse.
    The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

*offers hugs and cookies* Ouchies. Glad you're ok and that it wasn't as bad as it could've been.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Sounds like you found some burn cream, so that's good.

A couple of months ago when I stupidly grabbed a hot oven rack with my un-mitted hand and burned the out of it, I had no burn gel, so I simply used some aloe ointment/gel/whatever stuff I had for sun burns, rubbed that into my hand for about half an hour, and while it still hurt that night, the next day it was simply just a little tender with only one blister on the end of my left pinky.

If you have anything with aloe, use it! The stuff works!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

I'm glad you're ok! When I was 2 I pulled a fresh pot of coffee down on myself and got 2nd degree burns. (Mom took me to the ER, didn't put water on me.) Whatever burn cream they had worked, and I have ZERO scars. So you will probably come out unscathed.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Yeah, aloe is pretty brilliant for burns. Another thing that helps, and this works for all injuries, is to let yourself feel it. I swear this works. For as long as you can bear to do it, think about your injuries. Cry, yell, swear, whatever. It's not a substitute for medical attention, but it dramatically speeds up healing time. A couple weeks ago I splashed very hot oil all over my hand, and with a combination of cold water, aloe, and a great deal of yelling I didn't even get a blister, my hand was completely healed by the next morning.
          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Burns are significantly better this morning. Still sore and still a lot of them, though. First order of business was finding something I could actually wear that wouldn't hurt so I could get ginger ale for my sick husband. If it's not one thing, it's another sometimes.
            The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Years ago I worked at a grocery store. i got off of work and could have picked something up, but I knew there was a pot pie in the freezer and planned on eating that. I was hungry to begin with and knew that it would take a good 40 minutes or so for it to cook (I hate microwaving non-leftovers), but I toughed it out.

I heard the buzzer go off so I ran downstairs to get it. I grabbed a bowl first and set it nearby so I can put the whole thing, foil and all, in the bowl. I opened up the oven, took the cookie tray out and rest it on the burners. I don't know if the oven mitt I was using was broken in some places or what, because when I grabbed the pot pie from the top using my oven mitt, it burned through. I yelp out in pain as the pot pie goes flying.. almost slow-motion in the air... ..only to fall face down on the kitchen floor! I was so mad, AND HUNGRY!

I ran off to McD's to grab some food real quick and was admittingly a sucky customer because I was so friggin' hungry.

Comment

Working...
              X