Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Christmas Card Exchange! Tallies are closed! Thanks for playing!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Christmas Card Exchange! Tallies are closed! Thanks for playing!

Hello from your new Christmas Card Elf! JuniorMintz has unfortunately decided to step down after many seasons of running the Christmas card exchange, and I have (graciously? stupidly? Let’s find out!) volunteered to run it this year. For some reason, the mods voted for me of all the many, many volunteers I’m sure they had. So, on with it, then. But first, a big thank you! to JuniorMintz for all her hard work in the past.

Every year, a number of us exchange Christmas Cards with fellow CS members across the globe. We collect sign ups from people each year, compile a list (conveniently ready-to-print on address labels), send it out towards the end of October (well, we'll be a little later this year, sorry), and then we flood the hell out of each other's mailboxes with Christmas cheer.

Due to the late start the signup period will be shorter than normal. You have until NOVEMBER 1st to sign up. That’s THREE WEEKS!!! If you’re undecided, go ahead and sign up; after signups close on NOVEMBER 1st, the list of participants will be posted in this thread, and you’ll then have until NOVEMBER 8th to opt out if for whatever reason you decide you can no longer participate. Once the opt-out period ends on NOVEMBER 8th, the list will be emailed to all participants and you can commence with the glitter-bombing sending of lovely holiday cheer.

(PLEASE NOTE: You will NOT be able to submit your sign up unless your address and email information is complete. Please be thorough!)

Now, for a quick FAQ List...

Can I make my own cards, or do they have to be store bought?

Either way. Whatever jingles your bells.

Religious Themes: Yay or Nay?

Again, it doesn't matter. This event is about friendship and holiday cheer.

If I sign up, do I have to send a card to EVERYONE?

YES, and in a timely manner too. I cannot stress this enough. It is selfish, rude, and seriously unfair to sign up and get cards from everyone else and not send any of your own. If you wish to only send cards to a select few members of the CS community, please make such plans on your own.

Are E-Cards allowed?

No. Once the final list goes out, this becomes a snail mail event. (Postcards are allowed, however.)

What happens if I sign up and don't send out my cards/don't send out my cards until after the Easter Bunny has visited?

People who sign up and don't follow through make Baby Jesus cry and thus, are automatically placed on Santa's Naughty List for the next year. Oh, and on my naughty list as well. No shows are banned from participating in future events.

But what if an emergency comes up and I can't?

I'm not an unreasonable person, and we’ve found that most members of CS that participate are very accommodating. If an emergency comes up, all I ask is that you PLEASE let me know. I will handle things accordingly and you will not be penalized in any way.

How Many People Will Sign Up?

It varies. We've had everywhere from 20-60 members sign up in previous years. Unfortunately, my crystal ball hasn't been working lately like it should, so I can't tell for certain how many of you will sign up this year.

The best part about our (not-so) new sign up method (and a big thanks to Pedersen for that! ) is that it features an "Opt Out" period. Sign Ups close on NOVEMBER 1st, but the Opt Out period is available until NOVEMBER 8th, so if the list swells to an amazingly large number of people and it is no longer feasible for you to participate, you have the option of dropping out before I finalize the list.

How Much Is Postage?

It depends on where you live, how many people have signed up, and how many of the cards you send will be international.

As a courtesy, we have provided links to the US, UK, Canadian, NZ, Australian, and South African post offices on the official sign up page. In the past, the majority of participants have been in the US. If you live in a country that’s not on the list, please feel free to give me a heads up (preferably via PM) so I can add a link to your post office (also please provide the link for me!).

It's asking me to login with a username and password. Are those the same as my CS user name and password?

Yes.

I tried to sign up, but didn't get the "activation" email/The final list never showed up in my mailbox!

Check your spam box. If you still have trouble, let us know.

How do I share my joy in having received a card from someone?

When you get a card, log in and go to the Tally up! page and check off that person’s name to let us all know you’ve received their card. This also lets me see if anyone has not sent their cards, so please make sure you tally all your cards and give your fellow CSers the credit they are due! The tallies won’t be open forever, but since we’re starting a bit later than normal, I’ll give y’all a little extra time to tally up.

Did I mention that you have until NOVEMBER 1st to sign up?

So sign up! It’s fun!!

CLICK TO SIGN UP!
    (Look for the Login button on the top right side, and sign in with your CS username and password.)

Please make sure all your information is correct! The list will be sent as a pdf that can be printed on standard address labels, so please make sure your address is formatted correctly (proper postal abbreviations, etc.).
    Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 10-11-2012, 03:58 AM. Reason: opening the list!
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

eeeee I can't wait!!! year 3 for me doing this....my poor mail man
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

It's also my third year for exchanging cards.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

*squee*

I have cards just a-waitin' to be signed and addressed.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

We can use crayons?

https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

I'm really hoping to get to do it this year, I couldn't afford to last year.
            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              *squee*

I have cards just a-waitin' to be signed and addressed.

^-.-^
              Same here. As a matter of fact, they're within arm's reach of me right now.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Can't wait, it'll be the third year for me and I've already started making my cards!

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                  Same here. As a matter of fact, they're within arm's reach of me right now.
                  Same here. They're on the desk right behind me. I could touch 'em with my elbow if I wanted.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

YAY!!! Maybe I should come up with a design. Sadly no 3D this year.
                    Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

It was my first year last year and I had a blast. Sadly, unless I can get a job before the end of next month I won't be able to join in - I simply can't afford to buy that many international stamps
                      "I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere and I'm here for the hell of it now"

Comment

I wonder if those strapped for funds in other countries could maybe hook up with someone else from the same general area and double-send cards.

It wouldn't be as much fun as two cards arriving separately, but it would be a lot more fun than just one card, right?

^-.-^

Comment

I skipped last year. Ill see what the future holds. Its so nice getting the cards from all over.

Comment

That's good news. This will be my forth year.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

So excited! I look forward to this every year!
                              "Oh, very good....Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'" Severus Snape

Comment

Working...
                              X