This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any WWE Fans?

I hope this is in the right place (was going to pop it into the links section so feel free to move it if need be).

I am currently doing a PhD project on professional wrestling (WWE in particular) and I think there are a couple of fans on this forum, so I wondered if they'd be so kind as to fill out a little survey for me that will form a decent chunk of my final work and maybe even pass the link along to others who might be interested. Link is below.

http://freeonlinesurveys.com/s.asp?s...2vdtf1cl178537

Thanks so much to anyone who can fill it in or pass it to someone who can. It is much appreciated!

Quoth PizzaDrone View Post
    I hope this is in the right place (was going to pop it into the links section so feel free to move it if need be).

I am currently doing a PhD project on professional wrestling (WWE in particular) and I think there are a couple of fans on this forum, so I wondered if they'd be so kind as to fill out a little survey for me that will form a decent chunk of my final work and maybe even pass the link along to others who might be interested. Link is below.

http://freeonlinesurveys.com/s.asp?s...2vdtf1cl178537

Thanks so much to anyone who can fill it in or pass it to someone who can. It is much appreciated!
    Done.

By the way, I don't know if it would be beneficial to your project or not, but have you ever seen the documentary "Beyond the Mat"?
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I like the soap opera that is professional wrestling. As long a person is aware that it is a show, and not real, it is very entertaining. Better then most other shows that call themselves soap operas. Their acting is a bit over the top, but they do put on one heck of a show.

Cena, The Rock, Hulk Hogan..some are really good actors. Some..not so much *laughs*. If you smellllllll what the Rock is Cooking.
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

WWE fan here, though it'd be more accurate to say "wrestling fan" in my case.

I'm also very interested in independent wrestling, and attend more indie wrestling shows than I do WWE shows nowadays, and subsequently buy more indie wrestling merchandise as a result.

I was big into Ring of Honor until a few years ago, when they stopped running shows in Manassas, VA (about 30 minutes from where I live) and when my friends didn't want to spend 6-7 hours in the car going up to Philadelphia to their shows, especially when they were paying $50 for seats. Since then, I fell out of watching it, and have no real intention of going back since the quality of their shows has suffered since then as well, as many of their big-name stars have stopped appearing for them, or have signed onto the 'big leagues' such as WWE or Impact Wrestling.

(For the record, I do not watch Impact Wrestling.)

My main wrestling interest these days is Chikara Pro, also based in Pennsylvania. Going to their shows can be a bit of a trek-- their closest regular stop is a 4 hour drive now-- but the tickets are much more affordable, the wrestlers are encouraged to mingle and interact with the fans before the show and during intermission, the characters are great, and the quality of the matches can be excellent. I've never gone to a Chikara show and NOT been entertained. I tend to purchase most Chikara shows when they're available (formerly this meant I would by the DVDs, but now they offer MP4 digital downloads and streaming service), and I buy a shirt or two when I go to their shows. I'd estimate this means I'm spending about $250 on Chikara/indie wrestler merchandise per year.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Heh I remember before WWF (AWA)...I watch WWE and sometimes TNA, though WCW was my Favorite before it went to wherever wrestling goes when it dies. Wolfpack 4 Ever. Goldberg was my favorite (recently Ryback has tried to be a Goldberg on WWE...and failed).

Sorry for the off topic.
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I got my husband to do it (he's a huge WWE fan) and sent the link to his son. Best of luck.
            The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
              Goldberg was my favorite (recently Ryback has tried to be a Goldberg on WWE...and failed).
              I don't know that they were trying to make The Ryback into a new Goldberg (though fans clearly think otherwise). I personally see him as a new Ultimate Warrior (Or "WOYAH" as I like to call him), given some of the almost poetic things he's known to say, like "Revenge is a confession of pain. I am not hurt; I am hungry. And when I feast again, it will be on CM Punk."
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Two Words: The Undertaker!

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                  I like the soap opera that is professional wrestling. As long a person is aware that it is a show, and not real, it is very entertaining. Better then most other shows that call themselves soap operas. Their acting is a bit over the top, but they do put on one heck of a show.

Cena, The Rock, Hulk Hogan..some are really good actors. Some..not so much *laughs*. If you smellllllll what the Rock is Cooking.
                  Exactly! Professional wrestling is no more "fixed" than Star Wars IV: A New Hope is - every time I watch it, Luke misses his first shot, but nails the Death Star with his second in the nick of time.

To be "fixed", there has to be an element of competition. Professional wrestling is live theater, taking place on a stage that resembles an athletic arena. It's scripted, not "fixed".
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Thank you so much to everyone who has filled in the survey or passed it along. It is a huge help. I'm chuffed to bits to be getting to do such a big piece of work on the subject.

By the way, I don't know if it would be beneficial to your project or not, but have you ever seen the documentary "Beyond the Mat"?
                    Yep, that's in there. Love the documentary - one of the best for me. I'm putting some father/daughter scenes from The Wrestler up against it as its pretty clear that was the inspiration for a lot of it.

Jay 2K Winger - From what I've seen of CHIKARA (admittedly not that much) I already love it. In fact, I might squeeze in a few mentions of it, just because it does some very interesting things to the form with all the inside jokes/slow motion wrestling that goes on. Huge fun, which is mostly what wrestling is about, for me.

Yeah, I'm doing a lot of comparing wrestling to film in terms of star image/rewatchability/the old Hollywood system because I think they fit quite well in some ways. Wrestling relies a lot on strong imagery and so do some great films and the fandom for some is quite similar (thinking of Rocky Horror and such things).

Am so glad to have found people who are fans and know their stuff too!

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                      Two Words: The Undertaker!

Who might not appear at Wrestlemanis this year. It sounds like it's either about his health or money. This is his last week to decide, though, as the Punk-Cena match on Monday will determine Taker's match. It sounds like he would get the loser.

Interestingly, Jack Swagger got busted for DUI and marijuana possession on Tuesday. It will be interesting to see how the WWE reacts to this - will he just be gone? They dumped Kurt Angle for his painkiller problem, and Swagger has a history with Mary Jane.
                      Last edited by Zapper; 02-22-2013, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Little tidbit I thought I'd share - my 90 year old FIL and 78 year old MIL both love WWE. FIL is a Rey Mysterio fan, and MIL loves Hornswoggle.
                        The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Today 05:47 AM
                          DeltaSierra Little tidbit I thought I'd share - my 90 year old FIL and 78 year old MIL both love WWE. FIL is a Rey Mysterio fan, and MIL loves Hornswoggle.
                          That's amazing! Part of my research is focused on the idea that there's such a generational appeal to it and how more and more WWE is encouraging families to watch together. Obviously, it promotes a bit of brand loyalty but it is something that works on a personal level too.

I think with Taker, they have to be so careful as a bad match if he's not 100% would be much worse than no match from a legacy point of view. Him vs Punk would struggle to be a bad match though I'd imagine. I'd like to see it.

Comment

Quoth Zapper View Post
                            Who might not appear at Wrestlemanis this year. It sounds like it's either about his health or money. This is his last week to decide, though, as the Punk-Cena match on Monday will determine Taker's match. It sounds like he would get the loser.

Interestingly, Jack Swagger got busted for DUI and marijuana possession on Tuesday. It will be interesting to see how the WWE reacts to this - will he just be gone? They dumped Kurt Angle for his painkiller problem, and Swagger has a history with Mary Jane.
                            Did they just do Cena/Rock again? I've heard rumors that they're planning a Cena/Rock match at WM.

Which means if Taker does decide to wrestle, it may be against Punk.

Comment

I used to watch wrestling religiously during the attitude era (1996-2001). The business back then was just so awesome. WWF vs. WCW vs. ECW. Really fun times.

As I've gotten older I remain a fan but often don't find time to watch the current product. I have attended two Wrestlemanias (X8 and 23) and will likely go to Wrestlemania 30 next year in New Orleans.

Currently my wrestling watching is down to the occasional RAW/Impact show, older stuff online (seriously youtube and dailymotion are wonderful for finding just about anything, they even have full PPVs on there now) as well as Japanese stuff.
                              "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Working...
                              X