Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought my Wii in August 2007. Hid it until Christmas. Ecstatic children and husband!

BTW, it developed a problem a few months ago where it kept saying it couldn't read the disk. I contacted Nintendo. They paid for shipping to the repair shop, repaired it under warranty, paid for shipping back to us, and then extended the warranty for a year from the date of repair. All I had to do was package it safely and drop it with my mail room for the shipper to pick up. I had it back in a week.

Last spring I saw some Wiis sit in a Target store for almost a week. Longest I've ever seen them anywhere.

How I scored my Wii was to pick up a Sunday paper on Saturday. It had the Sunday ads, and the stores that had a new shipment in would advertise it, of course. Had to go to the Circuit City and wait in line 40 minutes before the store opened, but it was the best gift ever.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

One of my co-workers decided she wanted a Wii yesterday after hearing another CW talk about his. So today she went to the store during her lunch break and bought one.

I wish I had £200 to spend on a Wii on a whim.
      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

I have a Best Buy Reward Zone membership and back in May, they had a Reward Zone member's night only, and the showcase product was the Wii. The store was only open to Reward Zone members from 7pm to 10pm on Sunday night. When everyone was waiting in line to get in at the store, a few employees came around asking who was there for the Wii. If you raised your hand, you got a number. That number guaranteed you a game system. You brought your number to the stock room door where a few employees were waiting and you gave them your number, and they gave you a Wii. So I got one that night, not fully intending to. I thought they'd sell out too fast for me to get one. I was originally interested in the deals on movies and other electronics.
        "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Quoth QASlave View Post
          And yes, I'm on the hunt for a Wii fit. No luck yet, but at least it's nearly 5 months until Christmans and it's my fat ass that needs the fit part. :-) (My wife is 5'10" and about 110 lbs. AND she eats like a horse. I hate her.)
          I had a go on a chum's on Sunday - interesting device. He had to go to amazon.de - Germany had some when he started to look around. The UK's quote of Wiifit has been demolished several times over.

Rapscallion

Comment

My parents just bought a Wii from Target. It was their anniversary present to each other.

I'm pretty sure it'll end up in my sister's house when she moves out though since my mother is notorious for buying stuff using it for a bit and then getting rid of it.

Like her PS2. She played with ours so she went out and bought one, and it's in my sister's bedroom now.

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
              Nintendo shagged it up good and proper by making something that everyone wants. Short of building new plants, they can't keep up. Even if they did make new plants to make the Wii...it'd take at least a year to start pumping out more.
              M
              And actually Nintendo has said this is something they absolutely won't do, for what should be obvious reasons. Sooner or later demand will slow and eventually all but stop, what do you do with all those factories and employees then? Per se Nintendo doesn't get anything really out of keeping production down, they wholesale them at a fixed price, so higher prices people are getting for them doesn't go into Nintendo's pocket, rather Nintendo is thinking ahead, a rare and wise thing these days.
              Seph
              Taur10
              "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

I just love those who think this is so obvious. And then post questions of this caliber:

Quoth Javarod View Post
                what do you do with all those factories and employees then?
                The factory gets sold or the lease gets terminated ... factory probably gets re-tooled for the next gadget it will produce ... employees are temporarily fired or laid off (depending on whichever is more advantageous to the factory owner in the country in question) while the factory is re-tooled.

What do you think Nintendo does when they come out with a new style of GameBoy? Geez, it's like some of you think the manufacturing world is static and never changes.

Also, there are definite advantages for continual shortages. It keeps the Wii in the public air. Articles are written, people talk, people post to the net, etc. Free marketing. You can't buy the amount of press that's been written about the Wii ... and is STILL written.

There would be no posts like these ... "I got mine when ...". People would be casual about it. No excitement. No anticipation.

Nintendo isn't saying all of this because they have you nicely duped into thinking that they're being fiscally conservative. No, they're not. They're bleeding the marketing hype for all its worth.

So, before some of you call waaambulances for Nintendo, try looking at the larger issues. Starting up production lines is something Nintendo knows how to do ... well. It's not a huge deal for them.
                "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Instead of contributing to a developing pissing match, I'll just say my company has AGAIN guaranteed 12 Wiis per store for an upcoming ad starting on a Sunday in a week or two.

We always manage to get in enough to cover the guarantee. The trick is making sure they go straight from the truck to the cash office, instead of the salesfloor where they can accidentally be sold.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                  X