X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a shop. We sell things

please stop annoying me!!!!

Hawkers drive me nuts. Even though I have a sign advising them not to come in they still insist on dragging a suitcase full of crap into my shop and trying to sell me stuff I would never even consider spending money on.

I do not need a childrens duck umbrella, a miniture set of fake perfumes from thailand, a pen set, colouring in books. About the only thing they have of use is a knife set I could stab them with, but even then it looks so budget a folded up peice of tinfold would have better cutting action.

Why do they insist on unpacking this tat on the counter when I have already asked them to leave?
    Yes. I know my typing sucks but I have a large orange cat sitting on my keyboard and a small disturbed dog trying to sniff his butt

I had that a few times at my old hotel in New Mexico. I actually grabbed one guy by the belt and dragged him out of my lobby, pointed at a sign and informed him that if he or any of his buddies showed up again then I would be forced to call the police.

It just so happened, the hotel I worked at had a diner right next door were all the cops would gather on their break. So there was always someone nearby.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

It's so aggravating. Even worse when you have customers and they start trying to sell stuff to them as well. You have to be super polite but they just won't leave.
      Yes. I know my typing sucks but I have a large orange cat sitting on my keyboard and a small disturbed dog trying to sniff his butt

Comment

Not even then, I'd inform the gents that they are bothering my guests and make them leave (I have done this). The worst ones are the pushy ones; you really do have to physically boot them out because that makes your customers uncomfortable and some will never come back.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Ah, I had these guys where I used to work, and worse my old boss encouraged them, he's by some of this crap off of them and then sell it himself at twice the price.

Comment

Quoth portia911 View Post
            It's so aggravating. Even worse when you have customers and they start trying to sell stuff to them as well. You have to be super polite but they just won't leave.
            That's what they count on - you being too polite to make them leave. The same
            is true of those 'door-to-door ministry' types that refuse to leave you alone.

Best way to deal with them is to deep-six the social graces. Tell them, in no
            uncertain terms, that they are to leave and not return. Don't bother with being
            polite - it's wasted on them anyway. And if they still fail to take the hint, nothing
            will make them vanish faster than a call to the police.

Comment

Quoth xaenon View Post
              That's what they count on - you being too polite to make them leave. The same
              is true of those 'door-to-door ministry' types that refuse to leave you alone.
              A guy I use to work with use to goto his door naked and ask them in. They would refuse and leave.

Another guy I work with now that is like 500 pounds easily also does this. If he looks out and sees its them he strips and answers the door.

Quoth xaenon View Post
              Best way to deal with them is to deep-six the social graces. Tell them, in no
              uncertain terms, that they are to leave and not return. Don't bother with being
              polite - it's wasted on them anyway. And if they still fail to take the hint, nothing
              will make them vanish faster than a call to the police.
              At work I tell them they have 30 seconds to get going or I will call the police. Most will not leave until they hear me talking to 911 on the phone.

Comment

Quoth VenomX View Post
                A guy I use to work with use to goto his door naked and ask them in. They would refuse and leave.

Another guy I work with now that is like 500 pounds easily also does this. If he looks out and sees its them he strips and answers the door.

At work I tell them they have 30 seconds to get going or I will call the police. Most will not leave until they hear me talking to 911 on the phone.
                Many, many moons ago I had to deal with one of those huckster types in my shop.
                The fool ignored the 'no soliciting' sign and SEVERAL warnings to GTFO. The idea
                that he wasn't welcome finally sunk in when I picked up the box of merchandise
                he was selling and threw it out the front door of the shop into the street. I figure
                I busted about half his shit in the process. Yeah, I got a definite streak of 'redneck'
                in me.

Comment

the stupid bully at the gallery would buy there crap
                  our "mission" was to provide gifts that related to the current exhibitions or supported locally based artists

instead she brought crap like glitter pens and slinkys and tacky keyrings..... and wondered why they never sold!
                  I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Had a couple of airhead, giggly girls come in and literally spray me with their perfume/cologne.

Had a few incidents where some shady character would come into the pizza place trying to sell a TV or Bike or some obviously hot (?) item for "real cheap." I let them know about pawn shops. One guy took offense at this and retorted.

"I don't deal with pawn shops, I deal with PEOPLE."

I told him to go deal with the PEOPLE at the PAWN shop.

See this is how this works, you come in, look at the menu, make your decision whether or not to buy and we go from there. We sell to YOU not the other way around. So unless you're one of suppliers or advertisers, you can take your merchandise down to your friendly neighborhood fence. That's what they're there for.
                    I don't like your attitude!
                    Yeah? Well you're not EATING my attitude!

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                      I had that a few times at my old hotel in New Mexico. I actually grabbed one guy by the belt and dragged him out of my lobby, pointed at a sign and informed him that if he or any of his buddies showed up again then I would be forced to call the police.
                      I would have paid to see that.... I don't begrudge people trying to earn money... but there is a point where you cross the line from working hard to make money and just being a royal pain in the ass, and I love seeing the people who cross that line being put back in their place.
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

yay for the "no solicitation" policies

and anyone else get those kids doing a "contest" for whomever gets the most donations (usually magazine sales) gets a prize. i'm in the states now and i soooo don't miss those things. especially when they bug me at the bus stop.

Comment

Working...
                        X