Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh, sorry, you don't deserve to earn money for working.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, sorry, you don't deserve to earn money for working.

So I get a table, and when I ask "How's it going?", their reply is "Coffee." Bad start there. Thank you for acknowledging my humanity.

Pretty standard table after that, but the end is what bugs the crap out of me. After they've been there two hours, getting endless refills, getting more and more food/dressings/etc., (while we're fairly busy) the time comes where they come up to the counter.

They're paying for their food, and overall, it wasn't the worst table I've ever had. Not very talkative, but at least they were fairly polite. She tells him to leave me 5 bucks and heads out the door.

He then, out of nowhere, goes into a talk about how he shouldn't have to tip, blah blah blah, and that while he knows I get 2.33 an hour, he's sure other tables will make up for it. He then says "Just remember, if you could get a better job, you'd make more money." Meanwhile, I'm pretty much blindsided by this, because I took damn good care of them.

He then leaves. Which is good, because otherwise I was most likely going to say something I'd probably regret. (I was already a little annoyed, because two tables in a row before him had stiffed me.)

Not the worst table I've ever had, but it's fairly recent. And I'm going to be honest, this is just a part-time job for me. It's not the end of the world if I get stiffed. But the people who DO live on this... Argh.

...So how'd I do?
    "Everyone in the world should have to wait tables for one year of their life so they can understand that your ranch dressing is NOT fucking important!" Daniel Tosh

Quoth Nile View Post
    He then, out of nowhere, goes into a talk about how he shouldn't have to tip, blah blah blah, and that while he knows I get 2.33 an hour, he's sure other tables will make up for it. He then says "Just remember, if you could get a better job, you'd make more money."
    So he shouldn't have to tip but other people should to make up for him being a cheapskate?

OK, as long as I understand things.

Comment

Quoth Nile View Post
      He then, out of nowhere, goes into a talk about how he shouldn't have to tip, blah blah blah, and that while he knows I get 2.33 an hour, he's sure other tables will make up for it. He then says "Just remember, if you could get a better job, you'd make more money." Meanwhile, I'm pretty much blindsided by this, because I took damn good care of them.

...So how'd I do?
      I think these jackasses are worse than the truly ignorant. The ignorant may be annoying and blind, but at least they don't know or don't think about it. This jerk not only knows that these jobs pay crap, but MENTIONS it so that you know that he knows, then he doesn't do anything about it!! I sentence him to 39 lashes of the salmon!

You did well. If it'd been me, he would've ended up wearing a pie or something.
      "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

I'm very bad at tipping. I tend to tip way way too much! If I have my SO with me, I'll have him convert the tip for me. He's very good at math. I suck at it. If he's not with me or waiting for me elsewhere (say, outside, for example) then I'll go bonkers trying to figure out tip.

Lets take Monday night, for example. We went to Denny's. Tanya, my favourite waitress, was there. Of course. Well, the meal came to some 22 dollars and some change and SO was already out of my reach and waiting at the car. I know it was way too much, but I wound up tipping $10.

See, I'm VERY bad at math....

Hopefully you'll have a few customers that are bad at math too. In a good way, that is!
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post

EQ, you could always use the tools on your cell phone... most of them have tip calculators...

oh and on $22 (doing it in my head) 15% would be $3.30.

your welcome
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I'm very bad at tipping. I tend to tip way way too much!
            I tend to overtip, but it's also because I usually eat alone, and it kinda sucks for the server to do almost the same amount of work as for two people and get just a buck or two for tip.
            "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Ladies and Gents, the word "tips" is actually an acronym. Its meaning?
              To
              Insure
              Prompt
              Service

Generally, if you have good service, you should give between 10-20%. I usually try and give 15%, depending on the serivce/type of service (taxi vs restaurant etc.) Don't leave a tip if the serivce was really poor. And I mean snarly, nasty waiter, not like superbusy-working-her-ass-off waitress/waiter.

Anyways. you get $2.33 an HOUR Nile? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!?! And I thought earning $9.50 an hour gross pay was bad...

I guess it depends on the housing market and where you live.
              "Otherwise you are free to keep putting your hope in leprechauns, horseshoes and unicorn farts."-Gravekeeper

Comment

Welcome to the world of waitstaffing, Rage. But you can make some really good money at it. When I worked at the Huddle House (24 hour diner in NC) I was getting approximately $80 a day in tips. I worked my ass off, but I still walked away with no less then $80. I think the best I ever did was when I walked out with over $300 (Friday Night Football for the local highschool).
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth RageAgainstTheManagement View Post
                  Ladies and Gents, the word "tips" is actually an acronym. Its meaning?
                  To
                  Insure
                  Prompt
                  Service
                  That one's been debunked by Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/tip.asp

Comment

You gave good service, but the SC's sorry ass excuse to stiff you was because he feels he doesn't have to tip you?!! Time for the fish followed by the clue by four!
                    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                      That one's been debunked by Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/tip.asp
                      Beat me to it.

But yeah, a tip is a way to assure, not insure, good service by basing a significant portion of someone's pay on their ability to please the customers.
                      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

But that's crap- This American LIfe did a story- not sure if it was 24 hrs at teh Golden Apple, or a different show (I think it was a different show), but they did a non-scientific study on that- and the conclusion was no matter how you bust your ass, IN GENERAL people are going to tip what they normally tip.

Comment

Quoth RageAgainstTheManagement View Post
                          And I thought earning $9.50 an hour gross pay was bad...

I guess it depends on the housing market and where you live.
                          Heh.

I'm still in NJ. Minimum wage (last I heard) was at $8.15/hr. (I, however, make over that.)

Anyone wanna guess how much housing is? In a lot of counties, you have to make at least $15/hr. to afford a one bedroom apartment.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I overtip delivery folk.

Why do I do this?

So I don't have to wait anymore than 20 minutes for pizza when I'm really hungry and to ensure that I get a super hot, zesty pizza.

They do talk. They talk about the bad tippers, but they also talk about the good ones. If you're a good enough tipper, you will NEVER wait long for a pizza ever again.

That does sound a little bit masochistic...but at the same time, I'm a very friendly person and the people who always wonder why their pizza delivery driver always takes their sweet time or their pizza is cold........I wonder why!
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Well, the meal came to some 22 dollars and some change and SO was already out of my reach and waiting at the car. I know it was way too much, but I wound up tipping $10.

I usually stick around 10%, because it's really easy to figure. All you have to do is move the decimal point over one number to the left.

10 % of 22.00 would be $2.20. Then round up as necessary.
                              SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                              SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Working...
                              X