Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh, sorry, you don't deserve to earn money for working.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth blas87 View Post
    I overtip delivery folk.

Why do I do this?

So I don't have to wait anymore than 20 minutes for pizza when I'm really hungry and to ensure that I get a super hot, zesty pizza.
    Exactly. Until our local place closed, we were always first on the delivery runs. We'd get our pizza in 20 minutes, even when we were quoted 45 minutes.

BTW, today's waiterrant.net entry is linked to a blog entry he did for the UK Guardian. I have discovered that Brits are exceptionally upfront about their opinions, especially in comments, which is why they're often so much more interesting than the original article.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

That is awful and he should be ashamed of himself!!!

I always try to tip 20% or even more, especially if its a favorite waiter/waitress.
      The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth Nile View Post
        He then says "Just remember, if you could get a better job, you'd make more money."
        My sister has a double major, makes on average $50 and hour waitressing and has plenty of daytime to homeschool her kids and run her own theatre company. If there is a better job than that then I'm sure she'd like to hear about it.

eta: for those bad at math in my state you can double the tax (assuming you haven't bought a lot of drinks) and that comes up to just over 15%

Comment

Quoth Nile View Post
          He knows I get 2.33 an hourr

Yeah. Sounds like a real winner.

I almost hope they come back so you can warn the dumb chick who probably still thinks he tipped you well.

And yeah, I've put down $10 for a cup of coffee before.

Comment

I generally overtip because I prefer to just round it the nearest dollar and I dislike giving servers change, especially pennies and nickels.
            As for the guy in the story, I can't say that I wouldn't be tempted to call him on his bullshit. Seriously, it's only five bucks. If you really are that strapped for cash, then just do what I do: eat at home.
            Last edited by Mordecai; 07-26-2008, 11:09 PM. Reason: Spelling error and wanted to add more text.

Comment

You DO deserve to earn money for working

And a lot of it, depending how much effort you're willing to put in. I'm a waitress in Canada, so at least we make the legal minimum wage. We also pay a percentage of our sales back to the kitchen, the bartender and the hostesses. If I get a table that stiffs me, I have just paid for the privilege of serving them. If this happens more than a few times a night, I leave there with bus fare or less. Granted, this has only happened on rare occasions. I usually do well, which is why I put up with the crap the job entails.

My favourites, though, are the ones who tell you at the debit machine or when they're handing you their cash, "Sorry, I didn't bring much money today, but I'll tip you double next time.". We usually don't see them again, but I give them bonus points if they are regulars and say that every time they come in. One of these days I'm going to say to one, "Randy, you owe us all eight thousand dollars according to your promises. Just lend us your credit card for a few days and we'll call it even."

I also have to add this: I understand the sensitivity of the nature of tipping. I feel that if I have done exactly as you asked for, promptly and with a smile, you should tip me well. If I have forgotten something, messed up your order, or kept you waiting in any way, I don't feel I've earned a tip. I'm human and I make mistakes, but I certainly don't expect to be rewarded for them. However, if you have made me run my butt off, and I traded jokes with you as well as being accurate and quick, not to mention anticipating things you didn't even have to ask for, I feel I have earned a reward.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                I overtip delivery folk.

Why do I do this?

So I don't have to wait anymore than 20 minutes for pizza when I'm really hungry and to ensure that I get a super hot, zesty pizza.

They do talk. They talk about the bad tippers, but they also talk about the good ones. If you're a good enough tipper, you will NEVER wait long for a pizza ever again.

That does sound a little bit masochistic...but at the same time, I'm a very friendly person and the people who always wonder why their pizza delivery driver always takes their sweet time or their pizza is cold........I wonder why!
                Same here. Hubby and I almost ALWAYS have our pizza in our hands within 20 minutes of ordering. We swear by overtipping our delivery drivers. Hot, fresh pizza is worth it.
                Not only that, but lots of "extras" make it our way... (ie, the local place makes sinfully delicious garlic knots, which come in orders of 12. We always end up with about 14-16 knots in the boxes they give us.) Extra drinks, breadsticks they "accidentally" grab and tell us to just keep.... it's a wonderful thing.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                  I overtip delivery folk.
                  I wonder what the guys at the pizza place my parents order from say about our house. I don't know what my dad tips but it's probably pretty standard. I tend to over tip, also, and occasionally I will order a pizza when I'm over there by myself (I order 1/2 what my parents like and leave them the leftovers). So it really depends on who is home.

Last time my pizza was $14.xx and I gave him a 20. That's approximately 33%. Also, in general, the smaller the bill, the higher I tip, percentage-wise. If I'm out with friends and all I order is a dessert or something, they're likely to get 50% or more for my part of the bill since I almost never leave less than $2, whatever the bill is. (This only applies at a sit-down place, though. If it's a get-it-at-the-counter type place with a tip jar, I usually just toss in my change, or maybe a dollar.)
                  Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 07-27-2008, 03:14 AM.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I'm sorry, I know I've been here a long time, but - 2.33 an hour? In Dollars? That's barely a pound over the pond; dear lord no wonder you rely on tips!! *patpathug*

...Wow, that made me feel ignorant. But seriously, that's atrocious, that's not a wage.
                    "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                      That one's been debunked by Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/tip.asp
                      Oh thanks, I didn`t know that it had been debunked.

I actually don`t waitress, I`m a cashier at the local MegaCorp grocery store. So I really don`t get as much money as I feel I should. Union sez I can`t GET more...
                      Because everyone on this board works their asses off I imagine, and we all feel that we should get more money. This ain`t gonna happen for two reasons.
                      1). This ain`t a perfect world. If wishes were fishes, there`d be no room in the river for water.
                      2) because of 1), there will always be sucky customers, etc.

Oh well. At least there is the board, Raps, SC.com, and you guys!
                      "Otherwise you are free to keep putting your hope in leprechauns, horseshoes and unicorn farts."-Gravekeeper

Comment

Hmm... this honestly sounds like a case where the restaurant should employ a bury, 7ft tall dude to sit at the entrance, follow jerks like that out into the parking lot, shake them upside down like some third grader clinging to his lunch money, and then shove them halfway up their car's own exhaust pipe, head first.

Then collect the change that fell out during the shaking to deposit in the tip jar for later.

Oh, and split any credit cards that drop out too.

Comment

Quoth Phantasm View Post
                          Hmm... this honestly sounds like a case where the restaurant should employ a bury, 7ft tall dude to sit at the entrance, follow jerks like that out into the parking lot, shake them upside down like some third grader clinging to his lunch money, and then shove them halfway up their car's own exhaust pipe, head first.

Then collect the change that fell out during the shaking to deposit in the tip jar for later.

Oh, and split any credit cards that drop out too.

I'd so take that job. I'm 6 inches too short, but I can provide my own selection of blunt instruments.
                          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Hm, the SC wasn't Steve Buscemi was it?

(punch and pie to anyone who gets the reference)
                            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I'll admit that my hubby doesn't like to tip - he just doesn't agree with the tipping system philosophically. He does tip (not as generously as I, the former waitress, wishes he would). I try to make up for it by either paying myself (so I can leave an appropriate tip) or by leaving extra tip money on the table behind his back.
                              Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Both Mine and my Wife's family has got this thing that at dinner everyone wants to be the person to pay the bill and tip..etc..which can lead to some comic episodes trying of intercepting the bill from the wait staff to 2 people, pulling it apart, fighting to pay.

As you can imagination that has also lead to some interesting tipping scenes, the ones I can remember.

Denny's in Indy, Brickyard 400 weekend, 5 or so years ago, everyone threw a 5 or 10 on the table and a couple tossed in a $20, just for the tip. The total of the tip, we figured was around $60 - 70$ for 8 people in the party. The Bill was maybe around $100 bucks or so.

Some place in Effingham, Il (Not the Effing Family Restaurant ) ... One of My wife's Aunts tossed a $100.00 bill on the table without saying a word, got upand walked away... None of us realized it, until after she had already left.

Normally myself and my wife tip between 15% - 20%... At the local places, they all remember that and give both of us great service.
                                Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Working...
                                X