This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But my Kid wants Pancakes!!

I just got off this call from a lady out in BC who was whining, literally whining, about the restaurant refusing to make her pancakes.

Me: your friendly neighbourhood call centre worker
    SC: entitlement whore

Me: Thank you for calling *****, how can I help you.

SC: Yes I am just so fucking annoyed at you guys. (great way to start a call) You guys wouldn't make pancakes for my son just because we came after 4pm when you guys stop serving them.

Me: Okay.

SC: And now my son is crying, do you understand? Crying! Because he can't get the pancakes that you guys have on your kids menu. I mean what did you think was gonna happen when you put it on a menu for kids to see *insert very loud gasp of disbelief*

Me: Did you speak with a manager about this

SC: Yes I did and he said that we had arrived after 4pm and it was company policy not to serve them past that time. Well this was a kid, can't he get that through his thick head? He was intentionally letting a kid cry!

Me: Well even a manager can't go against company policy, but I'll make sure to let the GM know about this issue. Unfortunately we have to go with the judgement of our managers there on the scene.

SC: Well I'm not going to let this lie. I'm going to go to my kid's school, go into their classroom and tell everyone there about the kind of rotten service that **** gives. I'm going to tell everybody I know and be a thorn in the side of your company for the next 15 years, I swear it.

Me: Okay

SC: And you don't even care, the manager didn't, you don't so why should I go back. And to top it off I'm having a really bad fucking day and you guys are just making this that much worse. You don't fucking care. Bye

Me: Bye

Ok, well I saved all my little thoughts till the end because I didn't want to interrupt the story to tell you I think she's a raving lunatic when anyone can clearly see that she's one.

First, don't tell me about how you're going to tell all the kids at your son's school about the service at our restaurant. WTF are they going to think, are you going to be a guest lecturer for a group of 3rd graders extolling on them the evils of our company about how coming here will stunt their growth? I mean, I know she was messing up and referring to the kid's parents, but how many of them are going to want to see their kid bringing home a note from some other kid's lunatic mom over something like this. I bet if it happened the school would be hearing back from some pretty upset parents that a loon like her was allowed to even do that to their kid.

Second, every store has its vengeful customers. But you're in an area of about a half million people and we have one of the best known restaurants in the city for family dining. You mean nothing in the grand scheme of things so don't threaten us unless you can actually pull it off.

Third, if the manager says it's company policy, then end of discussion. Because when I checked into it, you lied to me. You weren't arriving just past 4pm, you arrived over half an hour past four, when the grill was already being used to cook other items. So no, we're not going to change out our items just to satisfy your inane comfort. I'm glad now I never was friendly to you when I said goodbye. If someone else saw him getting pancakes, they could rightfully ask for some too. And we'd have to allow it, something which I'd agree he should get. Thankfully the manager there had a spine and didn't cave in. What's the point of having a policy just to break it. We're not a 24 hour breakfast place - if you want that, go somewhere else.

And lastly, because this is where some of you are going to find exception to company policy, just because your kid wants something we're not going to allow does not mean we must follow your demands. We are in business to make money, that's true. And part of that is making the customer happy. BUT we set up policy to allow our business to run smoothly. And you trying to mess with that policy that has worked so well for us in the past and is still working well for us now, is no way to try and get us to come over to your side of the argument.

Your kid is crying and I do feel sorry for him. I don't want a kid to cry. But I don't feel sorry for you parent. You're passing up a great opportunity to try and teach your kid something about life, that it's going to sometimes have its downs amongst all its ups, and that not everything can be gotten from a river of tears. Holding the kid in front of you like a shield isn't going to change things. He's a kid, and if you handle this down moment like a responsible person, he'll rebound from it.

But instead of teaching him this valuable lesson, you think it's better to throw a temper tantrum in the store like a 3rd grader and try demanding and threatening others into getting your way. With this kind of parenting, the kid is going to grow up with a very skewed view on life, that not getting your own way ALL the time is something akin to blasphemy and must be fought at all costs. It's obvious to me that this mother grew up being taught this way, too bad she's around to pass it onto future generations.
    Last edited by dithers66; 07-31-2008, 09:38 PM.

Tough. Life is full of disappointment and at least the kid is learning it now
    Yes. I know my typing sucks but I have a large orange cat sitting on my keyboard and a small disturbed dog trying to sniff his butt

Comment

Quoth portia911 View Post
      Tough. Life is full of disappointment and at least the kid is learning it now
      No he is not. He is learning when life gets tough do everything to cause a scene and stir trouble so you get your way, and while the manager in THIS story didn't cave, we all know just how common it is that they do. He is learning a lesson that will make him a grade A SC just like his mother.
      "It's times like these that make me wanna go straight."
      James from Pokémon.

Comment

true, true
        Yes. I know my typing sucks but I have a large orange cat sitting on my keyboard and a small disturbed dog trying to sniff his butt

Comment

At least for once it's about food and not toys or video games.

And I must agree, this kid is going to learn that every time something doesn't go his way, his mommy will pitch a fit and he'll eventually get what he wants.

Can you imagine him at 40 years old with his senior citizen mother causing a huge scene at the grocery store?
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Couldn't she have gotten a box of pancake mix from the cupboard & made her own fucking pancakes?

Comment

Two of my roommates are the product of this sort of parenting, I think.

They're in their late 20's, but they act like spoiled 15 year olds. They expect us to cook and clean for them. they spend all their money at the end of the month as soon as they're paid, then expect us to be 'understanding' when they're late with rent (I'm sorry, coming home with a $600 PS3 three days before rent is do, and then shrugging and saying you're going to be a bit late with your rent when we come asking for it isn't going to raise a lot of sympathy with me) and generally whine and throw fits and sound EXACTLY like 5 year olds, to the point of having tearful tantrums when the dishes aren't clean in time for them to make their dinner...

Well, I wish I was seeing LESS of it. But I see more every year. We're raising whole generations of selfish brats who can't deal with reality, and then end up being miserable their whole lives because their sense of what is fair is so drastically skewed.
              Check out my webcomic!

Comment

How old was this kid? If he's old enough to read the menu he's old enough to become a Stones fan and learn that you can't always get what you want.

Quoth Polenicus
                They expect us to cook and clean for them.
                If that were my roommates they'd starve to death in filth.

I don't mind sharing food and cleaning up after my roommate once in a while but she does the same, and we both pay our rent.
                Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 07-30-2008, 02:09 AM.
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

SC: Well I'm not going to let this lie. I'm going to go to my kid's school, go into their classroom and tell everyone there about the kind of rotten service that **** gives. I'm going to tell everybody I know and be a thorn in the side of your company for the next 15 years, I swear it.

With the kind of security they have in schools nowadays, it isn't too likely she'll even make it past the front office.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                    Couldn't she have gotten a box of pancake mix from the cupboard & made her own fucking pancakes?
                    That's what I was thinking...or at least the frozen ones you can heat in the microwave. It's not that hard.
                    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I want some pancakes now.

(I have no pancake mix, and everytime I've attempted pancakes it ends in tears and a messy kitchen. I just stick with frozen waffles - I can do those in the toaster!)

But fluffy buttermilk pancakes with butter and real maple syurp?? Heaven on a plate with a side of bacon and two eggs.

That woman..wow, just WOW.
                      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

anybody else thinking of the "I can't get waffles at chilli's" letter at pfb?

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                          How old was this kid? If he's old enough to read the menu he's old enough to become a Stones fan and learn that you can't always get what you want.

If that were my roommates they'd starve to death in filth.

I don't mind sharing food and cleaning up after my roommate once in a while but she does the same, and we both pay our rent.
                          you sound like you got lucky with your roommates like I did with mine... I have a roommate who LOVES to cook so she is always cooking enough for everyone... she even will let it slide that I almost never return the favor because she knows that I have no problem doing the chores she hates... namely taking out the trash (I think I got the better end of that deal, but to each their own).
                          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

The only question I have is whether this Kids Menu specifies that pancakes are only served before 4 PM, or they are just a Kids Menu item along with the spaghetti and grilled cheese. If the menu doesn't specify this then the customer might have had a point, but of course she went about it completely the wrong way.

Comment

I wonder if this person is related to the guy on PFB who complained that McD's stopped serving breakfast when they normally do.

Comment

Working...
                              X