Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sucky Returns (Multiple stories, longish, mild cussing)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky Returns (Multiple stories, longish, mild cussing)

Just a few shorter ones, which will probably lead to a longish post.

I don't live near a Wal-Mart! Take this Shrimp back!

So today this older gentleman comes up and makes a V-line towards me. I think he saw I was a younger female and sensed hesitation. I could tell he was going to be trouble right away.

SC- *Sets down shirmp* Take this back.
    ME- Certainly sir, is there something wrong with it?
    SC- It smells *opens back and forces it into my face. In his defense, I nearly puked*
    ME- That does smell awful, do you have a receipt?
    SC- No, just give me my cash back.
    ME- Okay sir, I will be able to give you store credit since you don't have your rece-
    SC- NO! You WILL give me my cash back, I don't live near a wal-mart~
    ME- I do apologize sir, but store policy is-
    SC- GIVE ME MY FUCKING CASH.
    ME- Alright sir, store policy is store credit but this time *is about to override, since it was only 5.17 or something*
    SC- GET ME THE STORE MANANGER!
    ME- O_O' Sir, I'll go ahead and-
    SC- STORE MANAGER NOW!
    CW- Just get CSM A

Now at my job we type an 'action code' into the register which sends a beep to an electric palm pilot they carry around. I typed in the generic code to get a CSM asap, and informed him I had sent them an electronic message and they would be here any second. We have to wait until they finish up there last job of course, running change or whatnot, so it takes a few seconds.

SC- *waits a minute* What are we waiting for?
    ME- Just the manager to make her way up here sir.
    SC- *snorts* I didn't see you page her.
    ME- *blank stare* As I said a minute ago sir, we send it through our registers.
    CSM A- What's going on here sweetie *directed at me, CSM A is the cool old lady type that is super sweet, but hardened and bitchy towards assholes and idiots*?
    ME- This gentleman bought the shirmp yeste-
    SC- NO *reaches ACROSS the counter, pushes me back so he can see CSM A better and starts with how he bought it yesterday, he lives 50 miles from a walmart and is just dropping his daughter off at medical school in town and ends with "and this little bitch wouldn't give me my money back"*
    CSM A- First of all sir, you will stop the cussing or you won't be getting anything. Second of all, I need to ask, if you don't shop at wal-mart, why are you in here?
    SC- I'M WRTING TO CORPORATE, I'M A VENDOR FOR WAL-MART!Oh what, you think I stole it?
    CSM A- I didn't say that at all.
    SC- I'm going to tell them that *A* gave me attitude*
    CSM A- You do that sir, I was just asking to clarify, Now I will give you the cash this time, but you will not be allowed to return anything again, I state this because or your attitude towards me and my associate. *lets me finish*

I can't make this crap up. Do I need to sum it up? I mean first of all, if he would have waited two seconds, I would have overridden it. Normally I love telling people who are assholes that they were just dicks for me when I was going to help them, that usualy shuts them up quick, but he didn't give me the chance. Second of all, there isn't a medical school around here, closest is in Denver, and I can't imagine where he would be coming from to come through our town. And even so, what did he do? Just pick up some shirmp to eat from the bag? And no wal-mart for 50 mile? Yes it's possible, I know it is. But come on, within 50 miles of our store alone there are 5 other wal-marts!

I don't care if it's your policy, I refuse.

The other day I had this lady come up to the service desk while I was helping another customer. Soon after she arrived our door greeter came running up to tell me that the lady did not have a sticker but did come through the front door. I nodded and thanked her, confused as why she came later because policy is either you have a sticker or you get walked up, not chased after. The lady just mumbled something under her breath that I didn't catch, but it was obviously about the door greeter.

ME- HOw are you today?
    SC- Could be better, whatever.
    ME- I'm sorry to hear that, let's see we have some returns here? Did you get a stick- oh that's right, J told me you were okay
    SC- yeah, I saw her and she yelled at me to stop, but I kept going
    ME- May I ask why? ( I was honestly concerned, as in did she have a bad experience with J?)
    SC- I didn't want to.
    ME- ... I do apologize m'am, and I will definitly do this for you, but just so you know, policy is that you must have a sticker from the door.
    SC- That's bullshit.
    ME- I'm sorry you feel that way m'am but it's policy.
    SC- Why? I'm not a theif and I don't appreciate being called one.
    ME- We're not calling you a theif m'am, unfortunatly as a business we decided we have to instate this policy. A few ruined it for the many.
    SC- I am not a fucking theif.
    ME- I do apologize m'am, but keep in mind that I don't know you. Of course I would never think that, but it isn't you, it's policy, EVERYONE has to.
    SC- Well I won't do it.
    ME- I'm just telling you what will happen next time, you are advised of our policy and the reprecussions of not following them. *finishes returns* You have a good night and I hope you feel better.
    SC- Aw thank you.

I told my CSMs that if she comes back, I am refusing service to both of them, and they back me 100%.

I'm Returning everything I ever bought from you.

So last Friday on my lunch break, a lady came in wanting to return Guitar Hero for the DS, apparently her 10 year old child's hands were too small for the game. She was told we could only do an exact exchange for the same thing, she was not happy because the guy in electronics recommended this game and it was for teens. She was also upset because the AM we called to handle it didn't budge, she said she would come back and return everything. Today she came in with a bike and a pool set and I got the pleasure of dealing with her.

No really, that's not sarcasm, she was great!

She first said she knew it wasn't my fault and wasn't even the faults of the people she delt with Friday, and I told her I understood why she had been upset. She wanted to return the stuff because when she was mad she had gone out and bought new presents for her daughter. She said she was writing to corporate about the policy because she thought it was stupid and she said that the manager she dealt with was less than civil. I explained to her how people will buy a dvd, copy it and then return it. No discussion on copyright law, it's tiring and pointless. Anywho, as I explained this too her, I realized no one had explained *why* we didn't accept back games on Friday, and she then said she felt really stupid for getting so mad and for buying new things. I told her of course she was mad, we all get mad especially because it is a frusterating situation, and she said she felt stupid, but still wanted to write to coporate, and asked if she could mention me, but in a positive light, saying I was very kind and extremly helpful in the returnjing of her items, and explaining the situation.

I just feel good knowing that I did settle it for her, and she said she'll definitly come back and shop with us, which is good I guess.
    Last edited by Enigma; 08-01-2008, 05:54 PM.
    "I just figured you would be terrified, and I would be sarcastic about it."

Quoth Enigma View Post
    I explained to her it was less policy and more that under the federal copyright law, we aren't allowed. No, I don't know the exact law. And yes, I am aware that the exact law isn't *you can't return open games*, however to my knowledge, at least in this state (if not federal like I have been told) our policy is based of copyright laws, so people don't buy the game, copy it and then return it. Please, please PLEASE don't debate this.
    I'm sorry, but I can't not correct this. This is one of those things that gets under my skin in a very big way.

If corporate policy is set such that opened games cannot be returned, I have no issue with this. Too many people do make copies and then try to return them. Sad, but true.

However, in the USA, federal law does not prohibit the return of opened games. Furthermore, there is no state that has additional laws prohibiting this behavior (though I will admit I could be wrong. If so, please respond with the name of the state and the section of the law, that I may read it for myself).

As such, I wind up taking great exception to people stating "It's the law. We can't take back opened games." It's similar to how many people on this board will roll their eyes when a customer tosses out "You have to! It's the law!" while the person hearing it knows just how wrong the speaker is.

Again, I have no objection to it being company policy. I just object to stating that the law is such and so when it most definitely is not. It makes your position weaker when faced with a customer who does know that such a law does not exist, and gives them more ammunition in the argument/fuel on the fire in the argument.

Stick to "Sorry, it's company policy, and I'm not able to override that policy. Is there anything else I can help with?" And I promise you'll never hear another peep from me about it

Comment

I bought a Max & Ruby DVD for my daughter from Target. Got it home, opened it, and it wouldn't play. Returned it the next day. The lady at the Customer Service counter said that due to "Federal Copyright Laws" they couldn't give me back my money, but I could exchange it for a new one. That's what I wanted to do anyway, so I got a new copy (and it worked like a charm, btw).

So Pedersen, was the Customer Service Lady wrong?

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
        However, in the USA, federal law does not prohibit the return of opened games. Furthermore, there is no state that has additional laws prohibiting this behavior (though I will admit I could be wrong. If so, please respond with the name of the state and the section of the law, that I may read it for myself).
        I was very much under the impression that the return of opened games, CDs and DVD WAS in violation of federal copyright law.

In fact, I was told this specifically when I worked returns at Wal Mart, and not just that it was store policy, that the law prohibited us from taking these items back.

However, I do live in Canada and not the US, so the rules about these things may be very different.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
          I'm sorry, but I can't not cor..
          I really don't want to debate this, this is one that gets people on edge and is never won. I don't care, I have edited my post to the more precise point that got her to realize why we don't take them back.
          "I just figured you would be terrified, and I would be sarcastic about it."

Comment

I should have posted this link in my original reply, but people have already replied. Here's a link to complete copies of the US Copyright Code.

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/

This is my final word on the topic, unless someone can point to the section which shows that accepting returns of opened games is forbidden by federal copyright law. And in that case, I'll happily apologize and admit I was wrong (and will even do so in a new thread, for maximum exposure).

Comment

I'm with Pederson on this. It's not outright against the law to allow a return on opened software, but companies can refuse the return so they are not seen as promoting copyright violations. If they constantly allow it, a number of their manufacturers will stop renewing contracts declaring the retailer is promoting copyright infringement and theft. Kind of hurts the stock value at that point.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

That is all.
                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

off topic: the horse is now saved to my computer. it beats (pun intended) having to draw one out at boring meetings... (and yes i've done that!)

most place i know will refund an opened game / cd / dvd if the original is faulty - well within a time period at least.

but good point about the copiers... i did buy a cd once and copy it, only to find out it wasn't the version i wanted... but when i returned it, i went by the honor-system and deleted my copy too.

Comment

Working...
                  X