This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's an unusual rule

I had a guest come in wanting a rule. The first question she asked me about was if we had a rule where we don't rent to people who live within a 30 mile radius. I told her that I had never heard of that rule before. It turns out that one of the hotels she asked rates about had that rule.

Have my fellow hotel workers ever heard of this rule?
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Never heard of that one. We had people rent at my hotel that lived down the street! But hey, they paid, we got a credit card, and it was all good. I think the majority of the time they were either college students or someone renting a room so they could hook-up with someone who was NOT their significant other!
    Last edited by LillFilly; 02-19-2010, 03:22 AM. Reason: text
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

We have a rule in several hotels in our city that if you live here you cannot rent a room, I've been told it's to prevent hotel parties and the rooms being trashed but it sure is a pain in the rear end. I ran into it when our appartment building was being fumigated. The rental company was paying for the rooms but finding a place that would rent to us with a local address was very difficult. I finally used my old passport with an out of province address to get a room.

Comment

If the hotels here in town had that rule, it would have made my Valentine's Day weekend very tough. I moved back in with my parents a few months ago and so when my boyfriend came to town, we stayed in a hotel downtown.

I know renting a hotel room for anniversaries, Valentine's Day, situations like that, is common for couples. Parents especially. Like a mini vacation. Seems silly to prevent yourself from getting that business.

Comment

Quoth mareng14 View Post
          We have a rule in several hotels in our city that if you live here you cannot rent a room, I've been told it's to prevent hotel parties and the rooms being trashed but it sure is a pain in the rear end. I ran into it when our appartment building was being fumigated. The rental company was paying for the rooms but finding a place that would rent to us with a local address was very difficult. I finally used my old passport with an out of province address to get a room.
          There are better ways to prevent wild parties like requiring a CC or deposit. The guest I had earlier tonight was having some work done on her apartment. I don't remember the specifics.
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Never heard of it. Once had it rent a room for a night when we had the hardwood floors refinished. It was about 85 F for a low with 90 % humidity and the smell of floor chemicals ans stuck in two rooms with no A/C. Went to a hotel the next ton over nad had no issues. Handed over CC, etc and got room keys.

Comment

I've never heard of that rule either, and enforcing it to try and prevent parties is silly, I think. I would think more people who live locally rent a hotel room for legitimate reasons than to have a party, like if they're having work done on their house/apartment and they want (or sometimes even need) to get out for a couple of days.

Comment

I seem to remember a member here who worked in the hotel industry worked in a place considering not renting to locals. I believe they were trashing the rooms even with a deposit, and the aftermath was getting to be more of a hassel than it was worth.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                  I seem to remember a member here who worked in the hotel industry worked in a place considering not renting to locals. I believe they were trashing the rooms even with a deposit, and the aftermath was getting to be more of a hassel than it was worth.
                  That might have been me. That rule is standard practice here where I live. If you're trying to rent a hotel room within 20 miles of where you live around here, you're out of luck unless there's a major storm or you sit down with the manager and talk about exactly why it is that you can't stay at home. We would also rent to locals if asked by the police, say in the case of a battered spouse.

But if you just felt the need to get away? No. The reason why is because if you live locally you don't have a good reason to stay at a hotel. At one of the big resort hotels? Possibly, and I'm not sure what their policies were, but none of the chain motels would rent to you. It was too much of a hassle. Locals were taking rooms to have parties, set up meth labs (one of which exploded, which forced the hotel to strip that room down to the bare cement blocks and rebuild it), do drugs, and have sex with people who were not their spouses or significant others. That last one wouldn't have been a problem -- God knows we don't care who, what, or how many you're boinking -- except that all too often the person the guest should have been having sex with at home would show up at the hotel screaming, crying, threatening, and occasionally armed.

So, after a few years of that, we washed our hands of the locals. Not coincidentally, about that same time expired Florida and Georgia drivers' licenses suddenly became more valuable than platinum, and you'd see the local drug dealers week after week using their old Florida license to rent a room.
                  Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 02-19-2010, 01:47 PM.
                  Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

I think that must be a real slippery slope for hotels; it's almost discriminating. What if one person was a few miles too close, then the next person is right on the line and gets a room, etc. Too many possible issues. Get a credit card and charge them for any damage, or catch them before a party/damage gets out of hand. That's what hotel security is for!

Seems like you'd lose a lot of business this way; there are LOTS of reasons you'd want to stay away from home, like everyone said.
                    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I've heard of hotels having a rule like that, though i don't think its very common. I think its more common in tourist driven areas because they want the opportunity to milk the tourists for every dollar.
                      Seph
                      Taur10
                      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

I worked at a youth hostel once and they had a "no locals" rule, due to previous accidents where some homeless folks used the place as a shelter and basically thrashed the place beyond recognition + harassed the other guests.

This was some 15-16 years ago when it wasn't usual to have a credit/debit card, and anyhoo we weren't allowed to keep credit card info. The guests paid a small deposit at check-in which would be refunded at check-out if the room was undamaged, and that was it.
                        Last edited by NorthernZel; 02-19-2010, 05:29 PM.
                        A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

i've never heard of that rule either
                          i can imagine it's to prevent trashy parties but there's plenty of good reasons to get a hotel room where you live

when my boyfriend came to visit we had a room, so we could just relax for a couple of days, go to a spa, go out drinking and not have to worry about how to get home.

i also once got a hotel room after my apt (the one in virginia) was broken into. i just couldn't bear staying in that apartment that night.

Comment

God forbid that the power at your home goes out and you have no A/C or heat. Waddya do? Happened to me a few years ago. I had to spend the night at a local hotel because the power went out. It was still like 90 degrees at night fall. I tried sleeping with the windows open but i was just too hot!

Comment

Quoth wildman View Post
                              God forbid that the power at your home goes out and you have no A/C or heat. Waddya do? Happened to me a few years ago. I had to spend the night at a local hotel because the power went out. It was still like 90 degrees at night fall. I tried sleeping with the windows open but i was just too hot!
                              Honestly, if your power went out during the summer, you'd never get a room at a hotel around here anyway. Too many tourists.
                              Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Working...
                              X