This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fires=Scared me

In case you haven't heard, there has been over 60 fires around the state of Texas, and that number is growing, some in neighboring cities to me. I have an evacuation bag packed, ready to go, but I'm still scared. Please send prayers/good thoughts/whatever you're comfortable with Texas' way as this is a very frightening experience.

My sister's boyfriend's family has had to evacuate twice. I have a set of friends who are all at evacuation sites now.

Thank you for letting me get it off my chest. Talking to others around her about it does no good since we're all in the same boat.

Can I just say thank goodness for modern technology? Cell phones and internet have been extremely helpful. Using it, my friend was able to get several people to meet up with him with donations to the victims and the firefighters. Also, communication of where the fires are, which neighborhoods are to evacuate, and where to go are all easy to access.

My thoughts are with you,sounds like you're prepared,that's good.

Ditto on modern tech & I'm an old guy,best thing ever for disasters & emergencies.

Stay safe,they tell you to git,then GIT!!!
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Ensure your evacuation kit includes preparations for the animals - and be aware that the evacuation shelters probably won't accept them.

If you haven't already, go through your yard and pack away everything that might be fire fuel. Clean your gutters. Remove leaf litter and anything else that's extraneous. Go over the exterior of your house and any outbuildings, and ensure that everything is sound and in good condition.

If you have a separate source of water (such as a pool), consider setting up a wet-down system, where you have sprinklers on your roof and a pump takes the pool water and wets down your house. This can protect against an ember attack. However, this is probably too late to effectively do that - such a system is best installed well before fire season.

The Country Fire Authority of Victoria (Australia) has our warnings and suggestions at the page I just linked.

We used to have a 'stay or go' system - where people with well designed houses, independent water supplies, and otherwise highly protected homes were considered reasonably safe, and we didn't do mandatory evacuation.

Then Black Saturday happened.

Even the best prepared homes, with the best prepared people defending them, would have gone up or did go up in flames. People who expected Ash Wednesday (our previous worst fires) level conditions chose to stay, only to encounter fires that were unfightable.

So ... yeah. Watch the fires. Know a minimum of two escape routes to evacuation areas. If the fires look like cutting you off from either of your evacuation routes, or look like approaching you, GIT!
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Thanks for that advice.

Fortunately, I do not have pets. I also live on the top floor of an apartment building. My only real plan is to GIT, as y'all said.

Also fortunately, my street runs perpendicular to two major highways and I filled up my car yesterday.

Comment

Cool.

Evacuation kit, and whatever lightweight mementos you'd hate to lose. Also, latest copies of financial paperwork, and your insurance papers, and your ID stuff.

Good luck, and keep watch on the fire zones.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Remember the first page of the Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

stay safe.
            "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
            "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Well I'm kind of in the middle of everything that's burning currently; have a few friends that have had the fires dangerously close to them, and then the fires shifted... thankfully.

Please pray for rain in Texas - we need it like nobody's business.
              I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Working...
              X