This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20+years lost...

Mom has been dreading to tell me something for a long time but I couldn't get her to tell me what. Well until 10 minuets ago...when I told her I got the shelf up I wanted to put my swimming memorabilia on...

See this lady came out to assist Mom in her home after a hospital stay...which she was there she "cleaned" Mom's kitchen. By tossing big boxes that were being stored under the cabinet ledge till I had a place for them here. Well two of the three boxes... In one box all of Mom's canning items that were passed down from her Mom. All gone... 60+ years lost there for Mom. (Mom is 69.)

The other two boxes? ALL of my swimming things that were saved over the years. All my trophies, medals, ribbons, pictures, and newspaper articles. The article that even had my accident was in those boxes. And the boxes were marked on three sides with "*Name*'s Medals" and "*Name's* Trophies". I still cant stop crying. I used to be so pretty...I was thin...I was lean...I could swim 100 meters in 47 seconds. Till the accident...now I can swim a 100 meters in about 2 minuets with my shoulder and hip killing me afterwards.

When Mom had begged the lady to tell her why she threw them away...the lady responded that they were just junk, why would anyone want to display junk?

I think it's time to go back and curl up and cry/mourn some more...I have nothing to show to my children if/when I have them.

Oh, hon, I am so sorry! What a bitch that woman was! Sounds like my aunt's cleaning lady....every time she breaks something she says it "was just junk." Nasty old bat.

I know it's not much consolation, but remember, no one can take away your memories. You might be able to at least get copies of the newspaper articles, if your local library stores the newspaper's stories on microfiche or microfilm. It might be worth checking into.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

That lady who did that needs a serious talking to. What she did was thoughtless.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
        That lady who did that needs a serious talking to.
        Fuck that, I'd ream her a new one and then some and fire her for that. I would be seriously pissed if somebody else threw out mementos of mine and my family because they thought it was "junk". She should've asked because those belongings were not for her to decide if it was junk or not.
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Agreed, if this lady was a paid employee she should be fired.

If she worked for an agency, a complaint should be filed. Agency maids are usually bonded, meaning the agency will compensate you for the loss.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea
            Agreed, if this lady was a paid employee she should be fired.

If she worked for an agency, a complaint should be filed. Agency maids are usually bonded, meaning the agency will compensate you for the loss.
            I agree about the complaint side of things. However, shit like that has no monetary value. How are they going to pay to get memories back?

Comment

Oh no.
              and a for your poor mother! I feel your pain... the only-- only fucking time my family has ever had anyone in to do anything (moving, cleaning, yard, anything) was a move, when I was in fifth grade.
              They packed a thing of garbage (a paper garbage bag)-- but somehow fucking lost my souvenirs from Hawai'i from the previous summer and what Daddy had brought back from Korea for me. And they stole my Ritalin, which Mom, for some reason, had gotten the 'big bottle' of-- over 300 tabs.
              "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
              "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I have nothing to say that won't get me banned.
                She was a jerk, and I want to punch her on your behalf.

People never get - don't want to get! - that your stuff doesn't need to be subject to their rules. I have had so much trouble over people and their insistence that you conform to their values of your stuff.

I had some guy break my friend's finger because he couldn't value the PIANO he was moving. I think so many agree to move you...but don't REALLY want to move anything.

This is why no one is EVER allowed to help me pack anything. If I can't pack my own things, I will throw away every important item. That way, no one else can ever touch my stuff.

to her.
                1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                -----
                http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth RootedPhoenix View Post
                  I have nothing to say that won't get me banned.
                  She was a jerk, and I want to punch her on your behalf.
                  This. So, so this.

Hugs for you and a pox on her.

Bitch.
                  "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

That woman had some NERVE! How dare she! Who does she think she is that she can just stroll into someone's home and decide what they can keep or not keep? I hope your family make a complaint against her!

That bitch sounds like she enjoyed having the power to dominate, upset and scare your mother in your mother's own home. That should never be tolerated and should be reported ASAP!
                    Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Everyone who said "report her" is totally right.
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

If she is a volunteer, go to the organization and raise a shitstorm. If she an employee, go to whoever provided her and raise a shitstorm.
                        that woman had no right to randomly throw out those belongings without consulting the family first, and leaves herself open to legal action as well as a tobasco enema.

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                          those belongings were not for her to decide if it was junk or not.
                          Quoth Misanthropical View Post
                          That bitch sounds like she enjoyed having the power to dominate, upset and scare your mother in your mother's own home. That should never be tolerated and should be reported ASAP!
                          Both QFT. She was sticking her nose where it had no business being. She should be reported.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Report her for sure. I would be devastated if my items were thrown out.
                            "Oh, very good....Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'" Severus Snape

Comment

Thanks to all the hugs folks. I've needed them.

To answer a couple things... Mom has been hiding this piece of information from me for quite awhile. Hoping I wouldn't ask and think she was just waiting to redisplay...

This...person... In question is a retired nursing assistant who proclaimed when I met her for a quick hi-bye type meeting that she was doing this as a favor to her friend. The same friend who I know get WHY she couldn't meet my glaze the past few times I've got to say hi.

But I don't know about even being able to replace hardly anything because I wouldn't even begin to know how to look for the info. The newspapers back then, and still don't, really didn't like printing the results of girls swimming.

A couple pictures might be able to get copied if they weren't lost when my brothers (from my... Your now family declaration of age 2) married and moved about.

So yea... Still bummed and mourning but I'm trying to be better, for Mom's sake.

Comment

Working...
                              X