This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding Hairstyle?

My mom just called me to say that the hairstylist she had lined up for me is leaving the business she currently works at, therefore is no longer available. So mom's going to do my hair. Which, to me, is no biggie.

Except...as noted in my other post...this is something I have really no interest in. I have really fine, thick, curly hair, and I hate it in my face. As long as it's out of my face, I don't care what it's doing. I braid it to sleep in, and it's usually in a pony tail. If it's down, I have a headband on. That's about it.

Now I have to find a hairstyle for mom to try to copy since the original plan was to let the stylist figure out something.

Help?
    My NaNo page

My author blog

IANAS (I am not a stylist) but if you don't care what, as long as it is out of your face..why not put it in a ponytail (or similar?)
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

or you could pull up the just the sides in a fancy clip? or braid it and put flowers in the braid?
      Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Because mommy wants to do my hair?

And I've already come to the conclusion that I really don't want to be fighting over wedding planning any more, so just go with what mom says?
        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

*nods* Then go with the braid. Gives the mother a chance to do something with the hair, and gets it out of the face. Maybe a french braid.
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Elspeth View Post
            or you could pull up the just the sides in a fancy clip? or braid it and put flowers in the braid?
            I'll second this suggestion. Pulling the sides and part of the top back with a fancy clip or similar can look really nice. It leaves most of the hair flowing for a "classy" look, but keeps the troublesome parts out of your face and still gives your mom something to play with (for adding pretty clips, flowers, etc.).
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Get some simple combs, clips, barettes and hairpins, and explore ways to get your hair off your face with them. Let your mother play with those and with hair tongs or whatever she wants to play with, until you have a basic style you can both agree on.

Essentially, you get the hair off your face with the combs/clips/barettes, she can play with the cascade at the back.

Then let her take the clips or whatever you're using, and go buy fancy wedding-y ones with the same basic function. If you have something you particularly do or don't want, tell her. (eg, no butterfly themes, or 'silver tone, not gold tone').
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

A loose french braid would be nice and simple, yet elegant, and they look lovely with veils and/or flowers.

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
                  Because mommy wants to do my hair?

And I've already come to the conclusion that I really don't want to be fighting over wedding planning any more, so just go with what mom says?
                  Then let her pick out the style? What if you pick something you like and she fires back with "oh that's not elaborate enough for a wedding" or "oh that's too elaborate for me to do myself" or just plain old "no I don't like that"? I dunno how picky your mother is but I've read a few of your posts where you've been frustrated with her and the whole wedding ordeal, and if she really wants to do your hair, tell her she can go the whole way and pick out a style, too. It might make her feel more involved, which she'd probably like, and she can pick something she knows she'll be able to do.

Comment

Set aside some time and let her just play and see what she comes up with?
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

My wedding hairstyle was similar to this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=greek...6lKmyDQ&zoom=1

If your hair is already curly (she had to curl mine) then it might work out pretty well. You could just pin it all up and not have the tendrils in your face.
                      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Try having the top and sides gently pulled back, and then let it cascade in ringlets from the crown of your head. It looks really good with a veil over the top and isn't hard to do. A few little clips and a few bobbypins, a spritz of hairspray and you're done. Makes it feel nice and light too, it's how I had my rather thick hair done for my wedding. It also helps the veil stay put if you're going to wear one. I can post a partial pic if you like, but the only one I have from the back is one where I'm wearing my veil.
                        Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

I say go with sides swept up with some pretty combs.
                          My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I'm probably going to do something with clips (combs never stay in my hair. Mom can get them in her hair, but not mine) or maybe a braided updo of some form.

I would let her sit and just play with it, but she's in SC and I'm in WV. So planning has been...interesting.
                            My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Working...
                            X