This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I called 911 yesterday

My mom fell down the stairs yesterday and was in extreme pain and very dizzy. Against my protests she climbed back up the stairs and laid down on the couch. I called the paramedics and they took her to the hospital and I followed her in a cab. The rest of the day was waiting for hours on end for someone to give my mom pain meds or a test, then we had to wait for more hours for the results. By the end of the day she was on morphine and feeling better, and the tests weren't showing anything so they said she could go home today. Today she was tested some more and they found a tiny bone in her back is broken. It's very minor, she can even walk with it, but she's staying one extra night so they can do more X-rays. But they say she'll be coming home tomorrow. I hope so. The bizarre thing is, the day my mom fell down the stairs, October 4th, is the exact same day my father passed away a year ago in the same hospital even. Anyway, I can't stop going over the events of the day in my mind so I thought I'd get it off my chest. I'm incredibly grateful that my mom wasn't hurt worse, especially since she insisted on moving herself. (She said the only thing on her mind was she didn't want the emts to find her on the basement floor with her head next to the cats litter box)
    It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
    -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

That's very scary, but it sounds like she's okay. I hope she'll be fine.

She sounds a bit like my mom. She once broke her elbow but wouldn't go to the ER because she "had to cook dinner for my kids." We were in our 20's at the time.

Sending good wishes for your mom!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

From the various stories on this site, we all know that the ER is full of people whose problems are neither urgent nor 'emergent'.

ER staff WANT to see people like both of your mothers!

<kicks both mothers in the rear end> "Go to the ER when these things happen!"

BTW: best wishes to your mom, Mariamouse. May it be nothing worse than that tiny fracture, and may it heal cleanly.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Agree with the above!

Happy your mom will be getting out soon. It's eerie to have things happen the same day, but I'm grateful things weren't worse. Stay strong!

Comment

Thank you guys! I haven't heard anything different so she's still hopefully coming home today.
          -Helen Keller

Comment

My mom is home now! They did another x-ray this morning with her standing and she actually broke 3 small bones in her back. But she can still walk and just needs rest and pain medication. Also she isn't allowed to lift anything or go down any stairs, which I think she's okay with. She's fine, just bruised and sore.
            -Helen Keller

Comment

Oh, sorry this happened! My friend had the same. He had to stop running for a while. He did it while shoveling snow.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                From the various stories on this site, we all know that the ER is full of people whose problems are neither urgent nor 'emergent'.

ER staff WANT to see people like both of your mothers!

<kicks both mothers in the rear end> "Go to the ER when these things happen!"

BTW: best wishes to your mom, Mariamouse. May it be nothing worse than that tiny fracture, and may it heal cleanly.
                From what I've read, both here and in other forums, emergency rooms don't get "normal" patients. One page of medical slang I followed a link to from here (might have been many steps of link) gave a couple of conversion factors for reported pain to actual pain, one being for GOMERs (how much to reduce the number on a 1 to 10 scale), the other being for people who had to be told to go to the ER for an "it's nothing" injury that was actually serious (how much to increase the number). From what I remember, both of your mothers would be a 3 or 4 after conversion if they had reported a pain level of 1.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  From what I've read, both here and in other forums, emergency rooms don't get "normal" patients. One page of medical slang I followed a link to from here (might have been many steps of link) gave a couple of conversion factors for reported pain to actual pain, one being for GOMERs (how much to reduce the number on a 1 to 10 scale), the other being for people who had to be told to go to the ER for an "it's nothing" injury that was actually serious (how much to increase the number). From what I remember, both of your mothers would be a 3 or 4 after conversion if they had reported a pain level of 1.
                  My mom was in quite a bit of pain at the ER, she was saying between 7 and 10 before they gave her some morphine. But part of that was the hard plastic thing they had her laying on. My mom is on Tylenol 3 now and mostly is in pain when she gets up or down. I think she's a bit better but she said it was bad today.
                  -Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
                  X