This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phone Opinions Wanted!

I have been doing some recon and checking some stuff out, and I think I am going to get my first smart phone. I think it is going to be the Samsung SIII G.

But before I drop $200 on a phone, I would like to get people's opinions on this particular phone.

And by opinions, I don't mean "Don't get a droid, iPhones are the only way to go, man!" I mean actual opinions on this phone, pros and cons, durability, what it's good at, what it's bad at, and if people who have owned it think it's worth dropping 2 bills on it (and that's after my full upgrade credit!).

So, fire away people!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Well, I'm an iPhone guy, myself. But as far as Droid phones go, I hear good things about it: battery life is better (about 6 hours to 8 hours active), fast response, and the buddy beam is nice.
    It's an Android, so you have the usual Stability vs. Customizability arguments for iPhone vs. Droid.
    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Bear in mind this opinion is coming from a proud owner of a Samsung... Gravity Smart. A lot of my coworkers swear by the Galaxy series, though, and aside from an onboard memory issue with my own phone, the GS I use is kinda awesome. It even survived a fall that would shatter the face of an iPhone with just a small chip in the casing.
      My other car is a Mackinaw.

Comment

What's a buddy beam?

And while durability is a very important factor to me, I'm a klutz, I know I'm a klutz, and I take measures to protect against my klutziness--I plan on buying an Otter Box for my new phone, whatever it is. If I'm spending that kind of money on a new phone, damn it, I'm gonna protect it from me!

Still A Customer."

Comment

I can also put my hand up for the Samsung. My boyfriend has its older cousin, the Galaxy SII and has not found a problem with it. In fact, I'm not sure if it's an app or not, but he's programmed his phone to wake up his computer when the alarm goes off. (and somehow, I think that he's also done my laptop with it)

In terms of battery life, he hasn't found too much of an issue with it. He LOVES having Bluetooth on it though. Prior to both of us getting our P2's (meaning that we can drive without displaying P-Plates and also use handsfree devices), his GPS also had Bluetooth on it, so if the phone rang, we could answer it from the GPS without causing an accident or having cops pull us over.
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

What are P-2's and P-Plates? I am so lost.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              And while durability is a very important factor to me, I'm a klutz, I know I'm a klutz, and I take measures to protect against my klutziness--I plan on buying an Otter Box for my new phone, whatever it is. If I'm spending that kind of money on a new phone, damn it, I'm gonna protect it from me!
              I paired a slip-on rubber shield with a screen protector for a hair under $15 total at a t-Mobile store. It'll help you sleep at night, trust me.
              My other car is a Mackinaw.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                Learner's permits and plates for drovers in Oz.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                  Learner's permits and plates for drovers in Oz.
                  My first thought when reading this was, "Since when does the wizard regulate the carters of the Emerald City?"

Then I realized you meant Australia.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    Whoops! My apologies. Basically my boyfriend and I are sort of in the transition stage from learners to full-fledged drivers. We don't need someone else in the car, but we're restricted to certain conditions for 2 years. He gets to upgrade soon, I upgrade in December.

On your LEarners and P-Plates, you aren't allowed to use hands free devices in the car. GPS's are fine (since I've been pulled over by the cops twice with my GPS going and nobody's had a problem with it), but stuff for phones-not so much.
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

to be honest... i'd say get what you want.

but i would recommend checking out the insurance policy of whatever company you go with. it's a big investment to have sitting in your pocket.

and a protective case! get one of those too.

oh and don't forget to check out Google Sky. It's on droid but not ipod/phone

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                        i'd say get what you want.
                        I agree with you, in general. Problem is, I don't KNOW what I want. Which is why I'm seeking opinions on the matter.

but i would recommend checking out the insurance policy of whatever company you go with.
                        I always have insurance on my phone. I'm with Sprint, and have no plans of leaving them at the moment, as I can't see any reason TO leave them.

and a protective case! get one of those too.
                        As I think I stated in the thread, I plan on getting an Otter Box for whatever phone I get. Something that pricey, I am protecting it, and by all accounts, OBs are the best there are in that category.

oh and don't forget to check out Google Sky.
                        What is it?

Still A Customer."

Comment

I may have gotten the name wrong but buddy beam is when you can share photos with other Samsung users.
                          Google Sky is basically an augmented reality app that shows where things are and what they're named in the night sky.
                          I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            I always have insurance on my phone. I'm with Sprint, and have no plans of leaving them at the moment, as I can't see any reason TO leave them.
                            If you haven't, you might want to check out this thread over in Sightings regarding Sprint and their insurance carrier... >_>

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Andara, I've had to use my insurance in the past, or get a replacement phone if my phone was having issues.

Never had a problem yet.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X