X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to a con alone...

Well, I'm hoping to go, anyway.

Don't laugh: I'm going to a My Little Pony convention. It's localish, and my favorite show writer will be there.

I'm cosplaying Steampunk Luna! Because apparently, I really am that weird.

But I'm also terrified. Introvert, at a con alone, in a new fandom! Maybe I'll just hide under the table...
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Is this your first con?

You may be a little bored since you don't know anyone. Be very very careful. Dressing up is all cool, but if you're alone, I really suggest you try to avoid anything that might be sexually provocative in nature (for your safety). And don't go anywhere where there are no other people.

Other than that, cons are a heck of alot of fun. My husband and I try to go to Dragon Con every year. We don't dress up (I would if we had the money to spend. Costumes are expensive). We do game every year, and go to panels.

I've met Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, Brent Spiner, Stan Lee, Anthony Daniels, Billy Dee Williams, and Gates McFadden. I've seen Jake Lloyd, Peter Mayhew, Luke Perry, Ashley Eckstein (Ahsoka Tano), Carrie Fisher, William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Kate Mulgrew, Ray Park, Ian McDiarmid, Daniel Logan, and more (I can't remember everyone).

We LOVE cons. Wish we could have gone to this years.

Comment

Oh, definitely not my first con! Been to SDCC twice and WonderCon once. So I know the basics of con attendance. And given that I avoid associating even the *word* sexy with myself in any way, my outfit is very very conservative.

I'm hoping to meet my favorite MLP writer; we're friends on Twitter, and he's hilarious, AND he wrote the best episode for the character I'm cosplaying. My goal is to get a pic with him: Meta win!
      "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

Comment

I'm jealous. Sounds like you are going to have fun. Try to relax. I'm willing to bet there will be many people there that are going to their first MLP con.

Comment

I'm so jealous; I'd love to go to a MLP con! Have fun! ^^
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

I had no idea they had MLP cons.

Have fun!
            "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
              I had no idea they had MLP cons.

Have fun!
              I could probably name about a dozen off the top of my head...

I just went to my first con alone (not my first con, just the first one alone). Worked the entire weekend at Canterlot Gardens. I had a blast, even if I am exhausted still. Didn't get to meet as many of the guests as I wanted, but I expected that since I was working. Still I did get to meet several of the VAs and I had a wonderful time.

As long as you can find some down time where you can be alone and recharge, you should be fine. Cons tend to be tiring for me for a different reason than being an introvert. When I'm on staff, I try to be as pleasant and friendly as possible. Thing is, my normal personality is a lot more abrasive. It takes a bit of work for me to put that aside, but I do it, because I really enjoy helping to make a con successful and seeing everyone happy.

And we're going to want to see pictures of the outfit, Joi!
              "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post

And we're going to want to see pictures of the outfit, Joi!
                Seconded! You must! You must! YOU MUST!
                The customer is always right, but this is a public house, and you are a guest.

Comment

This last year was my second con, my first in costume. People will ask you to pose for pictures.
                  Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                  Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
                    Maybe I'll just hide under the table...
                    Somebody decorate the table...

"And here we have the rare, the unique, the one and only My Little Pony Card Table Saddle!"
                    (4x Prototype, to be scaled down for production)

Reminds me of a poem in a Childcraft (World Book Encyclopedia companion we had) with an illustration of a child under a skirted table.

"I'm hiding
                    I'm hiding
                    And no one knows where
                    All they can see
                    Is my toes
                    And my hair."
                    Last edited by dalesys; 10-03-2012, 03:29 PM.
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

when they produce these then I will be a fan...

http://youtu.be/FIY41LrvMFQ

And does anyone have rules for this yet?

http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp05282008.shtml

Comment

Quoth artcurmudgeon View Post
                        when they produce these then I will be a fan...

http://youtu.be/FIY41LrvMFQ
                        Not in production, but you can find customs online (if you're willing to pay.)

Close enough?
                        Fighting Is Magic
                        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

There is a game book out there that is designed to take your old dolls/toys/whatever and assign them stats for tabletop play. IIRC, SP referenced it a while back (or he just had the same idea). I want to say that it used the BESM rules, but I'm not 100%

Also:
                          Good luck Joi!

Comment

My own advice for going to a con alone:

1) Bring a phone of course. I would recommend setting up contact times with a friend or relative - someone who'll send out the search party if you don't make your contact time.

2) Check out the area before hand. The last time I went to a con alone (EverQuest) I couldn't afford the official hotel so I rented something close...ish. My hotel turned out to be in a shithole part of town. (not to mention that I didn't realize just what "community bathroom" would entail. )

3) Do you know anyone else who's going? Even if they're not going *with* you, it may help to meet up with friends

4) And the usual stuff... have fun, but keep aware of your surroundings. If something doesn't feel right GTFO right fucking now, and go to a safe area. If you join any parties, keep an eye on your drink, know your limit, keep track of your belongings (just because it's MLP doesn't mean someone won't steal, even if it does violate F&M rules). Oh and have a plan of attack on what you want to do.

On the positive side, at least it's a "single theme" so to speak. Those are a bit easier to survive, unlike the mega-conventions like comicon and dragoncon.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                              1) Bring a phone of course. I would recommend setting up contact times with a friend or relative - someone who'll send out the search party if you don't make your contact time.
                              I always have my phone! I live-tweet pretty much any con I go to, so I stay in nearly-constant contact with people.

3) Do you know anyone else who's going? Even if they're not going *with* you, it may help to meet up with friends
                              I know one person from Twitter who's going, but he creeps me out a little, so I'm going to mostly avoid him. (He's not dangerous or anything, just incredibly awkward). There may be a few other people I know there but I'm not sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X