This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do not judge the money in my pocket by my clothes

My sweetie and I tend to dress comfortably, and we are in the process of moving. While we don't consider ourselves to be rich, we do have the money to buy nice furniture.

We have also worked with a furniture salesperson in a store with stuff that I like. My sweetie doesn't care how it looks, as long as its comfy, so I usually shop alone and then drag him in for the final decision.

This morning, after looking at the yard again, I thought I should go to town and get some gardening supplies and maybe buy the bedroom furniture. It is very possible that I got a little dirty while helping the garden guys move trees and plants into the truck.

Next, I went to the furniture store and asked if my guy was available.

The very sharp looking receptionist actually sniffed at me, told me that my guy was with some "real" customers and that maybe I would find what I needed at the "Particleboard warehouse" down the road.

I was more than a little annoyed. So, I walked outside and called the store and asked for my guy. Oddly enough, I was transferred straight to him. When I told him that I had been told to go to the Particleboard warehouse down the road, he lost his s**t and asked me to just stay there for a few minutes.

Less than 5 minutes later, the very nicely dressed receptionist walked out holding a box and screaming.

My guy came running out right behind her to find me and bring me in to look at the bedroom sets he had had brought into the store just because he knew I wanted white washed furniture for all 3 bedrooms.

I am sorry that she lost her job. That is never good. Sending me away because she didn't think I had enough money to buy their stuff was even worse. Even if I didn't have it today, I could have dreamed about it and saved up for it.

Mods, this probably shouldn't be here. I wasn't sucky. I never raised my voice, and I was not rude. I'm totally tired and not thinking well, so I'll just report this and let the PTB figure it out.

OK, where the heck is the report post thingy?

Comment

It's the icon in the bar across the screen at the top of the post that looks like this:
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Maybe I'm totally being stupid now, but I can't see it. Edited to say never mind, I was just being blind. Its now reported
        Last edited by Slave to the Phone; 11-11-2017, 02:19 AM.

Comment

A furniture store lives off making every sale they can, because their stuff is expensive and people don't buy furniture often. For a receptionist to actually try to chase off customers, and insult them to boot, is a natural "fired for cause" right there.

To do that with someone who's already bought stuff, and indeed is enough of a "regular" to ask for a particular sales person? She's lucky she got to leave through the doorway!

Comment

I agree

She got what she deserves.

I remember going to the Amiga Developer Group meeting and seeing a member who looked like a bum. But he was a multimillionaire, he was rich enough that he did not have to impress anyone.

I also remember watching the show "Blind Date" where the girl was complaining that the guy could more be a millionaire because it did not drive a sports-car, did not have a gold watch or fancy shoes or suit. Turns out he was inspecting the working areas of his ten stores and did not wear expensive stuff in the dirty parts of his work areas.

Last but not least, pull up a picture of Bill Gates before he was married yet was the richest man in the North America. He did not wear fancy clothes but he had more money that he could spend.

Looks say nothing about how much money you have.

Comment

Taken care of ^_^ [Self-]reporting is the fastest way to get in touch with us. Thanks!
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I get the feeling that she had done this to other people too. She got what she deserved. Who knows how much she cost the store. Just because someone may not have the money now, doesn't mean they wont in the future.

Comment

WOW yea she fucked up bad. Asking a specific sales person would clue me into looks and potential are not equal. Plus regardless- think it, never say it.

There are the new car dealer stories like this, guy shows up in a beat up dirty truck, looks as beat up and dirty. Salesman blows him off, goes to other dealer to pay cash, or buy trucks for his company that does rough dirty work.
                  AkaiKitsune
                  Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Arcus -- Agreed. This sounds like it was simply the final straw in a long history of inappropriate behavior, and that they might have even been looking for her to do something this bad, this publicly, in order to finally can her.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

And I'm positive this woman doesn't believe she did anything wrong, the store fired her for no reason, she's smarter than everyone and will just walk into another better paying job in one day. If nobody wants to hire her, then it's because they're stupid.

Good for that store to not let a horrid employee like that stick around!
                      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

She clearly failed reception duties 101. If someone asks for a staff member by name, you need to get their name and inform the staff member that they are there. It is up to the staff member, usually on the other end of the phone, to either say send the visitor away or come out and speak to them. The only time reception should be making that decision is if the visitor is a long time problem and has been banned from the site.

The fact that you asked for the sales person by name means she should have checked with them. Instead she was either a bitch or tripping on the power of being a gatekeeper.

But you forgot to include the most important part: did you end up getting nice bedroom sets for the house? We all need to know.
                        A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Thank you for the help with moving this. I honestly couldn't find the report thread button. I shouldn't try to post when I'm so tired that I can't find something as simple as that.

I still feel badly about that woman losing her job. I didn't want to make that happen. I did think that she was way out of line, though. And, thinking about it, they have never had a receptionist before. Maybe she was new and didn't understand what she was really supposed to be doing.

As I mentioned before, we aren't rich. We have planned this whole buying new home and furniture thing for years and saved up for it. If I didn't already have a relationship with my guy, I probably would have left empty handed.

Which I did do anyhow, because when I told my guy about the adjustable mattresses I wanted, he told me that their bed frames and such wouldn't work with that sort of mattress. Then he told me how to be sure that I could attach a headboard to that sort of mattress and sent me on my way because he knew that I had a bunch more stuff to plan.

We have had that sort of relationship since the beginning of the year. I wandered in to buy a dining room set and he was the first guy who approached me. I told him what I was looking for, he took me to the tables and gave me options. I thanked him and left. After thinking about it, I called him back and asked about light wood options on the set I wanted. He sent me pics. A week later, I texted him and asked if there was any way to get piece in the same color in the showroom. I didn't need a dining room set, just a piece in the color I wanted. He sent me a picture.

That weekend, I dragged my protesting husband into the store so he could look at the table and the end table in the color I wanted and tell me that he didn't care, whatever I wanted. Then I made him deal with paying and arranging shipping while I went outside to smoke.

Recliners and loveseat took about the same amount of face time and talking.

I might end up paying a little more for him not bother me while I am thinking, but he's totally worth it.

Comment

No prob! We're here to help

As for the recptionist -- From the way she was so abruptly frogmarched out of the building, I can guarantee you that her time there was already quite short. This particular straw just happened to come on a day you were there, and it was 100% due to HER improper action – not yours.

Comment

A friend of mine walked into a vintage clothing store and was immediately approached by an employee who felt compelled to tell her, "We don't have anything in your size." Apparently, the employee hadn't considered that some women who are over size 14 buy gifts for their friends and relatives.

Comment

Working...
                              X