This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flies keep buggin me D: kinda gross

Well, it's a sighting for not for humans (for once) it's animals. Flies to be exact.
    I hate flies. Especially in my home. I don't know exactly how they got there. At first, I haven't had a problem for a year since I moved in...except after I got my pet they started swarming around.
    I keep my pet's cage clean--she poops a lot though. I think they've started laying eggs in her poop, I've seen them crawling around there. I've scrubbed from top to bottom, disinfecting everything, covered the garbage disposal so they can't get in there, etc. They still come.
    I'm thinkikng of getting some flypaper or one of those flytrap machines that kill them-I hope they;re not too expensive eh heh.
    But for now I'm chasing around them with poison, not the powerful stuff that quickly kills (since I don't want to accidentally ingest some myself and get sick) but the weak kind that slowly kills them, in agony I hope. Don't get me wrong, I'm not usually cruel to animals or anything, but if you ask me which is worse, an SC or a fly, I'd say it's the same. Always buzzing around, bugging me...urgh.
    At first I thought they were ordinary houseflies, but looking at them more close, I see they have shiny shells and the internet says they're blowflies. Blowflies are from carcasses, and the only animals around is my pet (chinchilla) and she very much alive. So why? I hope I don't have a dead mouse beneath my floorboards. I'd be able to smell it right? Don't smell anything, except my pet...
    Ok......vent over I feel better. TYVM
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Check around outside too for any place they might be breeding (boggy areas, dead animals near your structure, trash bins). As well as under sinks, in and around and under trash cans. Look for any place where there is persistent moisture, could be a potential breeding ground. If you're cleaning your pet's cage that often, that's probably not their actual breeding ground.

Fly paper is probably cheap, the only hazard is that it's very, very sticky and yucky to deal with. Keep it well out of reach of your chinchilla, or traffic through a room. Don't want to run into it when you're stumbling about not really awake yet.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

some info on blowflies in the home
      Bottle or blow flies lay eggs in decomposing organic matter, like garbage, animal manure, decaying vegetables, grass clippings and poorly managed compost piles
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
        Well, it's a sighting for not for humans (for once) it's animals. Flies to be exact.
        I hate flies. Especially in my home. I don't know exactly how they got there. At first, I haven't had a problem for a year since I moved in...except after I got my pet they started swarming around.
        I had a similar problem 10-15 years ago. I am also in the DC area. One day I had 100s, maybe 1000s, of flies in my garage, which is part of the house. I use it as a hobby room, not parking the car. None of them got into the living area of the house, and I didn't see any outside of the doors. I have no idea where they came from. I managed to get them all out, and maybe killed a few. After that I sealed every opening I could find in the garage, include gaps in some of the wall corners. I have not had that problem since, and still wonder where they came from.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
        X