This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's a pricing error here, but it's not with the store

I mentioned in my MiM thread that the store has a "price accuracy guarantee' policy (which is to only be upheld by a manager). Luckily, PHB was nowhere to be found on the day this happened.

A customer comes through my line with a bag of potatoes, a bag of onions (5-lb russets and 3-lb onions are BOGO right now) and a bag of jumbo cooked shrimp. The onions don't ring up as free, because...it's the wrong size (2-lb). I explain this, and one of the produce guys offers to fetch the correct size. This, she's eventually okay with.

Then we get to the shrimp...I should have guessed there would be an issue after the two-minute debate about the onions.

Frozen shrimp is on sale right now, the raw one-pound bags are $7 and the cooked are $13. Cooked shrimp is always more expensive; it's not that hard to cook, so we always buy the raw (they're more versatile anyway).

Woman goes ballistic, says the shrimp should be $7. No...these are cooked. I show her the flier. Still not happy. She starts ranting about "This is bait and switch! We'll just have to get the attorney general involved now, won't we?"

Next customer in line:

Seafood manager comes up just then.

SC: "These shrimp should be $7, this girl is overcharging me!"
    SFM: "That's the correct price. The RAW shrimp are $7. Would you like a bag of those?"
    SC: "No! Why are you selling raw shrimp? [I don't know if she meant 'I don't want raw shrimp' or 'why is the store selling raw shrimp?'] The shelf tag said $6.99!" (so you admit you've done this before, you know exactly what to say...)
    SFM: "Well, someone must have put them back on the wrong shelf. These have always been $12.99."
    SC: "That's not possible!"
    Me and SFM: "Do you want them or not? They're $12.99."
    SC: "Forget it! I'm calling [AG]!"
    Me: "When you do, tell her I say hi " (I don't know the AG personally, but mom does)
    SC: *pays and scurries off with the rest of her groceries*

Next customer: "What was she on about? It's not that hard to cook shrimp yourself. She knew what she was doing. I'd like to be a fly on the wall if she ever does call."

Later I go to return the shrimp to the case; SFM had recently restocked and the only open spot is that of the bag SC had. So impossible that it could have been on the wrong shelf, there was no room! Oh well.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

*sigh* This world is getting too sad that the lawyer card has to be tossed around.
    You've got a real problem all right, and a banjo is the only answer! - Pinkie Pie

Comment

Like any lawyer is going to take that case. There is no case. She has no idea what bait and switch means, and since when is that term on the law books? Also, she argued about getting 1 more pound of onions for free, rather than pay for 1 pound less? Duh.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Yup, the onion hissyfit was over one pound. So sorry if you don't want the additional pound, that's what the sale says...you're getting the whole 3 pounds for free anyway

I wonder if any of these SCs who throw around the attorney-general card actually try to call her office, and if they do how far they get...and if they even know what the state law about pricing is. Somehow I doubt it.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Oh, they do try and get the attorney general involved.

The only experience I've had involving that was not that long ago when someone with an old POS vehicle formally complained to the AG that I sold them a defective battery and wouldn't warranty it. POS vehicle had a parasitic drain issue and would simply suck the battery dead overnight. I think the letter I sent back to the AG's office where I mentioned that I put the "defective" battery in my vehicle and drove it for a week, including several flawless -20degF startups, probably had something to do with my lack of hearing anything more about it.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
            SC: "No! Why are you selling raw shrimp?
            "For the same reason we sell raw beef, raw fish, and raw carrots: so you can cook it. Dumbass."
            Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
            Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
            Fiancee: What?!
            Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Working...
            X