X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I used to tip...

...then I took an arrow to the knee.

Which is not as silly a reason that he actually gave me.

I have delivered to this house before, at least 2-3 times and he has never tipped. The very first time I was there I remember that he gave me some reason for not tipping.

That first time out I didnt bother remembering the reason or it was a busy night so I just didnt worry about it..

But this last trip out was the icing on the cake.

"I used to tip five dollars every time. But that last time I ordered I accidentally gave the driver two 20 that had stuck together and he didnt say anything so he gave himself a 30.00 tip.'

Did he call in? No of course not. (Probably because it didnt happen)

At this point I am thinking 'if they were stuck together then the driver probably didnt even realize it till checkout if he even realized it at all. Assuming he did realize it at checkout, what was he supposed to do.. call all of his runs to ask them if they gave him an extra 20.00 bill?'

If youre not gonna tip.. then dont, But really there isnt any reason why you need to offer some bullshit excuse as to why you dont.

'cause they know it's wrong and think they're fooling you into believing they're actually a considerate person is the only thing I've ever come up with, barainga. I'm with you, I'd prefer nothing said; it just adds an "I think you're an idiot" insult to the financial injury.

Comment

Oh hell no! I could save my self 20-25% on my order if I'd get up off my lazy butt and drive the 1.5 miles to the pizza place, but I think I get the best pizza delivery around because I make sure to tip well.

Though I am still boggled by what the delivery surcharge is about. If the drivers don't get it, what's it for?
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

I just figure in our case the delivery fee pays my hourly pay and my gas. I get a little over the standard minimum wage so almost 8 dollars an hour.

Comment

Isn't the sale of the product itself supposed to cover your pay?

Comment

There is only one valid reason for not tipping, and that is for bad service. And I am the FIRST to say, if you get bad service, tip less or don't tip at all. I have actually stiffed servers myself, because their service was so bad that zero was the tip they earned. Although it's been a long while since I've done that. (You've got to be PRETTY BAD to get ME to stiff you.)

And Evil, you should know better than to try to use logic and rational thought to explain either customers or corporate practices.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

the delivery fee is a disguised price hike on the pizza. They can advertise a low price on the pizza to encourage sales, while still making money. With the bonus that people tend to stiff the drivers if they don't like it, so the company doesn't suffer for it.

Comment

I always tip delivery drivers handsomely when I order in. Because it saves me the aggravation of having to deal with evening rush hour traffic, which drives me insane. Ditto for when I go to a restaurant, I tip pretty well unless service is lousy, in which case I tip less.

People who just have to come up with some b.s. rationale for not tipping (they think the prices are too high, they overtipped some previous time, Aunt Flo is visiting, they woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, it's a day that ends in -y) should just shut their piehole and be forced to carry a sign that says "I'm a Dirtbag Cheapskate", right next to the sign that says "I'm Stupid."
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                  Though I am still boggled by what the delivery surcharge is about. If the drivers don't get it, what's it for?
                  Quoth sstabeler View Post
                  the delivery fee is a disguised price hike on the pizza.
                  sstabeler beat me to it. A company can, in effect, delay an across-the-board price hike (of, say, $1 per pie) by implementing a delivery charge. At the overwhelming majority of stores, this charge goes to the company itself.

As for drivers getting a cut of the sales they deliver? Usually, yes...but it's meant to cover gas (instead of the driver claiming Mileage on his tax return), repairs, maintenance such as FAR more frequent oil changes than most people, etc. Of course, whether that money actually covers all of that stuff is none of the Company's concern ~_~

I can tell you from experience, if you use a car for delivery, you have effectively sold its soul to the place where you work -- that job DESTROYS cars -- after a few months, the "pizza" smell becomes a permanent fixture, as well). Also, keep in mind that a free or heavily-discounted order means little to no "gas money/commission" for the driver, as they generally get paid based on the final total.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    And Evil, you should know better than to try to use logic and rational thought to explain either customers or corporate practices.
                    Forgive, you got me there.

And thanks for the explanation on the delivery fee. I thought that was what they were probably doing. Airlines get away with it. Hotels do it. Why not pizza? Meh.

Comment

Quoth barainga View Post
                      "I used to tip five dollars every time. But that last time I ordered I accidentally gave the driver two 20 that had stuck together and he didnt say anything so he gave himself a 30.00 tip.'
                      "Oh, I'm sorry. I used to give back change but the last time I did so, I accidentally gave the resident two 20s that stuck together and he didn't say anything, so stole $30 from me."

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        I can tell you from experience, if you use a car for delivery, you have effectively sold its soul to the place where you work -- that job DESTROYS cars -- after a few months, the "pizza" smell becomes a permanent fixture, as well).
                        QFT. Hubby delivered pizzas for a while. He hasn't done so in about two years, and his car still smells like pizza!
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Worse. It smells like old pizza. Not hot, delicious, makes-you-hungry pizza smell, but the sad, tired, end-of-shift at a pizza place smell.
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I used to tip

Then I took an arrow to the knee
                            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Do you get a tip for your delivery driver very often? What am I saying? Of course you don't!
                              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Working...
                              X