This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth wolfie View Post
    About a week ago, I saw a tabloid headline that Kate Middleton had been hospitalized for being severely underweight, and had been put on a 3700 calorie a day diet. Just waiting for a standup comedian to run with that one "or about as much as an average American eats in snacks when they go to a movie".
    Reminds me of when an American woman was in the audience on Top Gear. Clarkson was astonished. "You're American?! ...you can't be! You're nowhere near fat enough!"
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth hyperneo View Post
      FDP: A small diet coke. I'm trying to cut down.
      I have gone one too many rants IRL about this one!!!
      You've got a real problem all right, and a banjo is the only answer! - Pinkie Pie

Comment

Quoth BearLeeBadenaugh View Post
        As far as the healthiness of the popcorn, well, a large tub (16 cups) ...
        Oh Lordy ^_^ My stepfather used to eat a big bag of Ruffles on his own...along with a sixpack of DIET 7up.

My Mom, on the other hand, has been a Tab/Diet Coke addict for so many years (at least the 60's if not earlier) that it's given her health issues specific to the consumption of diet drinks o_O
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth shopgirl15 View Post
          Not really - I know a little Japanese and I catch mistranslated words quite a bit.
          Same here. I know enough Japanese to be able to tell when something's not translated exactly. In my experience, fan subs are usually closer to the original than "official" subs put out by translation companies like Funimation. The other thing that bugs me is when they have subtitles for the English dub and not the Japanese audio track (I'm looking at you Castle in the Sky, Advent Children).

What I don't get is why people seem to think watching a subbed movie isn't translated too. Any time words are translated content and meaning are lost - that applies equally to subtitles and dubs. It's not as if either one can be a perfect translation conveying all the subtext and meaning of the original. You need to speak fluent Japanese for that, no way around it.
          Agreed. Especially with a language as nuanced as Japanese. One of my favorite animes, Ouran High School Host Club is absolutely hilarious in Japanese. It's still funny in English, but it loses a lot in translation.

As Robert Dillman says, "a show isn't always better because it's in Japanese, and a dub doesn't always suck because it's in English."
          It's a matter of personal preference. I have only seen a few English dubs that I actually liked. I can't stand Jason Marsden (although he's growing on me as Impulse), and he shows up a lot. I like Vic Mignogna (usually), Crispin Freeman and a few others, so if I see them cast in a dub, I'll give it a chance.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Although some of the more Japanese shows like Urusei Yatsura TV would make zero sense in English Dub so I'm glad they left that alone..

Comment

re: Certain things just don't carry over -- Pioneer is known for intentionally using/abusing Japanese puns in the names of their shows. In particular, they seem to enjoy using non-standard kanji in the titles. Tenchi Muyo is one of the examples of their punniness I often hear -- aside from Tenchi being the main character's name, it's my understanding that the kanji and/or kanji readings can be intepreted as "This side up/heavenward" or "No need for Tenchi", among others, depending on how far you want to stretch it.

Can someone with more knowledge about the language elaborate, please?

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
              Same here. I know enough Japanese to be able to tell when something's not translated exactly.
              I know...somewhat less Japanese than that , but I am familiar with enough of the grammar, vocabulary, and idioms to tell when a "translated" line is coming straight out of left field
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

I always chose subtitles over dubbed because the American voice acting was almost always awful. With the voices in Japanese, I could at least pretend it wasn't awful.

Comment

I was about to comment that we shouldn't be mean and call people fat, but hell, 10 times??!

Comment

Kung Fu Hustle is a movie I'd rather watch with subtitles vs the dubbed version. The film is entirely in Chinese outside of one phrase from the "Untouchables" (weirdly enough) and the subtitles make sense with the storyline.The dubbed version is downright bad and so far away from the subtitles its unreal but it's the one Spike insists on airing...

Comment

This reminds me of the last time I did laser tag. I wanted my code name to be GLaDOS, but the guy put me in as Gladys.

Edit: 10 refills on popcorn? Did this SC get to watch ANY of the movie? Sounds like they spent too much time in the lobby waiting in line for refills.
                      Last edited by Mr Hero; 01-25-2013, 02:47 AM.
                      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                        This reminds me of the last time I did laser tag. I wanted my code name to be GLaDOS, but the guy put me in as Gladys.

LOL Did you get a Portal Gun with that???
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth hyperneo View Post
                          FDP: Yes I would like a large buttered popcorn with extra butter filled to the top.
                          You want fries with that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZwKxCbXzzY
                          Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Quoth bbbr View Post
                            The dubbed version is downright bad and so far away from the subtitles its unreal but it's the one Spike insists on airing...
                            That's pretty normal -- most networks shy away from subtitled *anything* simply because more people will stay tuned for a dubbed movie. Not all of us like to read our movies as we watch them (I happen to prefer sub, myself, but I will watch a good dub rather than not see the film at all). Back in the old days, even Sci-Fi, a channel that made an effort to cater to this demographic to a certain extent, used only dubs on their anime showings. Even the recently-resurrected Toonami block on Cartoon Network shows dubs only.

Comment

I normally have subtitles on during every film. It's always hilarious if it'd dub with subs. They often say completely different things.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post

Edit: 10 refills on popcorn? Did this SC get to watch ANY of the movie? Sounds like they spent too much time in the lobby waiting in line for refills.
                                Hell, how was she eating it? Shoving her face in the tub like a dog? Double-fisting whole handfuls?

This is entirely the wrong kind of breathtaking.
                                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                                X