This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's just no pleasing some people

Part of my job is to check on our customers who are ordering food. I tend to jump from person to person and ask leading questions like, "How are you doing?" or "Are you okay?" This invites people who are confused to ask me for help, and also allows people who are doing fine to say so.

I was on my way to the break room to eat when I noticed an older customer at one of our ordering kiosks. I walked up to him, smiling and cheerful (even though I was on break and didn't have to), and asked, "Are you doing okay?"

He turns to me, glares, and asks in a condescending voice, "Yes. Why, does it look like I'm not?"

I was taken aback by the rude reaction, and simply said, "Nope, I just wanted to see if you needed any help." I threw my coworker a look and walked back to the break room to enjoy my dinner.

I have never had someone get offended and act like a douchebag after I tried to offer them great customer service. I wasn't even obligated to offer help to this asshole - I did it out of kindness. I'll never ask if he needs help ever again, that's for sure. Asshole is on his own.

I'm always very happy when waitstaff do this, but why do they always wait until I have a mouthful of food before asking? That way all I can do is mutter incomprehensibly in reply.
    "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

This is one of those stupid damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't problems.

Some customers dislike any form of "hassling" even if it's in the form of a quick, "Can I help you with anything?" question. They want to do their shopping in peace, and I get that, but they take it to the next level and consider any offer of help as some kind of "pushy salesmanship."

On the other side, you've got the customer who wants to be handheld through every single aspect of their shopping, and will be offended if they were "ignored" even if they didn't show any signs that they wanted attention. They expect employees to ask every single customer they happen to pass if they need help.

When I was working retail, I was generally good at judging if someone needed help just by looking at their body language. If they looked confused, I'll ask if they had any questions. Otherwise, if it looked like they had everything under control, the best I'd do is greet them as I passed and move on. Only very rarely did I get it wrong and get yelled at for either "hassling" them or "ignoring" them.
      Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
      Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
      Fiancee: What?!
      Me: Nevermind.

Comment

I'm always happy to have waitstaff check on me. If the food is good, and my mouth is full, a quick thumbs up is a good substitute
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

... and if I do have an issue, there's always a 'wait a moment' signal, and covering one's mouth briefly with a hand to sort of say 'let me finish this mouthful'.

Usually my issue at such times is a missing side dish, or I want to order drinks. If there's a problem with my main meal, I usually don't have my mouth full!
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
            I'm always very happy when waitstaff do this, but why do they always wait until I have a mouthful of food before asking? That way all I can do is mutter incomprehensibly in reply.
            They teach us to do that in waitress school.
            What do you want for nothin'? R-r-r-r-r-r-rubber biscuit?": Blues Bros.

Comment

Quoth lvsssycat View Post
              They teach us to do that in waitress school.
              Yeah, because the customer can't complain about the food if their mouth is full.
              my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
              it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

Quoth Miss Maple Leaf View Post
                Yeah, because the customer can't complain about the food if their mouth is full.
                *turns brain off*.

I wouldn't hold to that completely - I've known family to manage it.
                I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

And then there are the combo customers: The ones who don't want to be "bothered" but then gripe that nobody helped them.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Oh that's okay. I asked this one guy once if he needed any help and he looked at me and said "Does it look like I need help?!"

Uh, yes?

Comment

Quoth TechieGirl87 View Post
                      Oh that's okay. I asked this one guy once if he needed any help and he looked at me and said "Does it look like I need help?!"
                      Brain-to-mouth filter failure: "Whatever made you think that I was a psychiatrist?"
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I once asked a customer if she needed a carrier bag for her shopping, only for her to snap back at me, "I'm fine, and plastic bags damage the planet in case you didn't know."

I was meanly glad when, on exiting the store, she dropped her milk.
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

There are times I love being asked if I need help, because sometimes an item is staring me in the face..and it might as well be invisible for all I can see it. I call this 'selective seeing' or 'Selective Stealth Capability'. Other times, I don't. Normally there is a good way to tell the difference. If my gaze is directly forward, and I am 'marching' (harder to tell when I am marching any more..as I need a cane)..that is the sign to leave me alone..I know what I am after and know where to get it. However, even if asked if I need help or need assistance during these times..never rude about it. Just say "No thank you, know exactly where what I need is." or "Nope, am fine thanks."
                          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
                            I have never had someone get offended and act like a douchebag ...
                            I've always gone by this rule of thumb:

If someone is acting like a douchebag/asshole/jerk/<insert unprintable noun here>, they're not acting
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              I've always gone by this rule of thumb:

If someone is acting like a douchebag/asshole/jerk/<insert unprintable noun here>, they're not acting
                              So very true. I think that many people think they are so special that everyone should recognize their specialness especially the already overwhelmed store employees whom they curse with their malevolent and spiteful appearance. I was the receiving end of a customer complaint today when I didn't properly bow down to an older woman who spends over $2000 a year. That's not that much - we have customers who spend over $10k per year and who aren't complete jerks to the employees. I think the most irritating part was the store manager panicking that he'd get a smaller bonus if there's one more complaint. It's rich especially when I will get less than a one percent raise this year and he wouldn't have spoken like that to one of the older women. It is also annoying when I'm told that I am averaging too many hours when that is the direct result of covering for a coworker out on medical leave. I'm actively looking for a new job and hope to get one soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X