Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My latest SC tale from the technology world...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My latest SC tale from the technology world...

Ok, I work in the technology industry, and I was looking to make a little money doing a website for a guy on the side.

A friend of mine had told me that he knew someone (let's call the guy Bob) who wanted a concert-based website done for our area.

So anyway, I meet with Bob to discuss things. He shows me what he wants to start with. Website with a DB backend. No problem. Done those kinds of things before.

Well, he starts hemming and hawing about the money (because he wants to run this as part of an online magazine/business that basically has zero start-up money). This should have been red flag #1. Though, in fairness I never told him up front how much I wanted.

So Bob starts talking about giving me "a percentage" of the money that the website/online magazine makes. He hems and haws again about what "a percentage" actually means.

Then, he tries to tell me right before Thanksgiving that he is going to send me a " basic contract" (which there is no such thing) right after Thanksgiving. Up to that point, I really hadn't done much for him. So I decided to stop work and wait until I actually had said contract in hand.

A week goes by. Two weeks. Three weeks. Still no contract.

So I basically fire off an email to him saying, "I don't work for free", telling him that my time is valuable, and so on. I told him in no uncertain terms that all the work I had done up to that point was my property, and if he wanted the files that I had completed, that I would gladly sell them to him for a price that we would both negotiate. I gave him 30 days for this offer.

He responds to the email, telling me that he didn't understand why I felt the way I did, he just got busy and "forgot" to send it, etc.

So I responded that there must have been some kind of communication disconnect, and told him that it did not make sense to me to work on a project that wouldn't produce immediate income. Especially since I was heading back to school, working a full-time job, and being a husband and father.

That was the last I heard from him.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Have you checked online to see if his vision exists at some point now?

Comment

Sounds like the sort of customer you're better off not pursuing ^_^ If he's this sketchy about payment now, he'll only get worse if an when he gets bigger.

And to ! You're not alone in dealing with "customers" like this. Believe me.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I run a web design company and I expect 50% of the cost up front before any work is started.

If they wont pay a deposit they won't pay the final bill, experience has taught me this.
        Robert
        Peterborough Cambridgeshire

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
          Have you checked online to see if his vision exists at some point now?
          I actually just checked when I read your post.

It does exist now. I guess he found someone else to do the work for him.
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
          X