This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth XCashier View Post
    Hee! One of my friends performs a folk music / comedy act. One of the things he does is singing one song to the tune of another.
    A legendary Key West act, Pete and Wayne, do this in one of their songs, which they call "Sweet Home California," wherein they sing Hotel California and Sweet Home Alabama to the other song's tune. And you realize, both songs have the exact same chords and meter, which is kinda freaky.

While I could not find a link to this song, you can get an idea of Pete & Wayne's ridiculousness with their song, "Buying a Seven Eleven." You may just recognize the tune....

(The irony of their act is that, while it is very silly and goofy, they are both actually very talented musicians; Wayne is one of the best bassists I've ever had the pleasure to see. But they are both very loopy, and it comes out in their act. Definitely worth checking out at Sloppy Joe's if you're ever in Key West and they are in town...)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised to see that photo in one of those lists of pics of passed out drunk people, in between Upskirt Shot of Drunk Girl and Drunk Guy with Penises Drawn in Marker on his Face.

And it will have a Lolcat style caption that reads "Go Home Pizza Guy, You're Drunk"

Also, a Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer/Roxanne mash up, complete with classic stop motion animation. It's actually really good. I have this in my Christmas music.
      Last edited by Draper Mel; 01-12-2013, 04:40 AM. Reason: edited to add link
      "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Quoth sstabeler View Post
        As for why the taxi driver took him home: a) the drunk is probably safe if he's passed out drunk b) the drunk can't exactly argue if the taxi driver takes the scenic route, can he? ( aka, if the driver runs up the bill)
        This reminds me of a classic Jeff Foxworthy joke about how a great way to make money is to get all the drunks you can in the back of your truck, stop at every gas station you run into, make everyone chip in for a full tank, and you could make about $400-$500 in a ten mile stretch!

"Dang, Bill! The mileage on this thing SUCKS!!"

Comment

I like to point out to people that the Britney Spears songs "Hit me baby one more time" and "Oops, I did it again" can each be sung to the tune of the other. You can also add the Backstreet Boy's "Larger than life" to the mix, if you want to take it up a level. XD
          Last edited by rapana1; 01-12-2013, 08:19 AM. Reason: random apostrophe removal + derp
          Is it Asshole Day or what? - MoonCat
          It's ALWAYS Asshole Day. - Jay2KWinger

Comment

Is "take it up a level" a catch phrase for "destroy all will to live"? Just wondering.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Lots of songs can be sung to other tunes. Rob Paravonian did a funny bit about Pachelbel's Canon in D and how so many songs go to it.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
                This reminds me of a classic Jeff Foxworthy joke about how a great way to make money is to get all the drunks you can in the back of your truck, stop at every gas station you run into, make everyone chip in for a full tank, and you could make about $400-$500 in a ten mile stretch!

"Dang, Bill! The mileage on this thing SUCKS!!"
                I think he also suggested at the end of the trip, don't drop them off at home, but at their bosses house instead.
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Passed out, face first in a pizza? Sounds like Saturday night in Put-In-Bay.

As for songs being swapped around, my two favorite sets are Ave Maria and Hava Nagila (completely interchangeable), and House of the Rising Sun and the theme to Gilligan's Island. I've convinced my friend to do that one at karaoke a couple of times, and it really messes with people.
                  "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                    Lots of songs can be sung to other tunes. Rob Paravonian did a funny bit about Pachelbel's Canon in D and how so many songs go to it.
                    There is a round on the long running radio series I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue (links to tv tropes beware!) called One Song to the Tune of Another in which surprisingly they sing one song to the tune of another. "Girlfriend in a Coma" to the tune of "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" was one that worked amazing well
                    As soon as I start thinking
                    That I'm sensible and sane
                    The Random Hedgehog comes along
                    And fiddles with my Brain
                    (from card I got)

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      A legendary Key West act, Pete and Wayne, do this in one of their songs, which they call "Sweet Home California," wherein they sing Hotel California and Sweet Home Alabama to the other song's tune. And you realize, both songs have the exact same chords and meter, which is kinda freaky.

While I could not find a link to this song, you can get an idea of Pete & Wayne's ridiculousness with their song, "Buying a Seven Eleven." You may just recognize the tune....

(The irony of their act is that, while it is very silly and goofy, they are both actually very talented musicians; Wayne is one of the best bassists I've ever had the pleasure to see. But they are both very loopy, and it comes out in their act. Definitely worth checking out at Sloppy Joe's if you're ever in Key West and they are in town...)
                      That is priceless!

Quoth XCashier View Post
                      What a great rant! Personally I love Pachelbel's Canon ... but I have no musical ability whatsoever so I didn't realize Pachelbel was haunting every piece of music that's been written over the past 300 years.

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                        As for songs being swapped around, my two favorite sets are Ave Maria and Hava Nagila (completely interchangeable), and House of the Rising Sun and the theme to Gilligan's Island.
                        The first one I can see, no problem, but the second one? Say what? But...but....but....I mean, the songs are at a completely different tempo, and are structured so completely differently....I just don't see how it would work.

Honestly, I would have to hear it.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          Is "take it up a level" a catch phrase for "destroy all will to live"? Just wondering.
                          Maaaaaybe....

Quoth XCashier View Post
                          I love that bit! Our old flatmate played clarinet and oboe, and showed me that clip. That piece of music used to bug her too- the bits for her instrument were super boring.
                          Last edited by rapana1; 01-13-2013, 04:28 AM.
                          Is it Asshole Day or what? - MoonCat
                          It's ALWAYS Asshole Day. - Jay2KWinger

Comment

I was thinking something along the lines of this fellow:

"Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

Comment

Quoth Sandiercy View Post
                              I was thinking something along the lines of this fellow:
                              "Boss, you're delicious."
                              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Pizza is gonna send out, for you!
                                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X