Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Only One Who Deserves Money Back Is Me!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Only One Who Deserves Money Back Is Me!

Specifically I want a few bucks for you wasting 60 some seconds of my life that I'll never ever get back now.

No sooner had I sat down at the dispatch desk than the phone rang. I didn't expect trouble, it's that LAST call at 4:59.59 that you should never answer under any circumstances, not the first of the day. But I digress. Person on the line claims that about 10 minutes ago, one of our mean ol' tow truck drivers forced them to cough up some cash even though they never ever TOUCHED their car!

I ask for them to explain that again, because I KNOW I didn't hear it right the first time....

Person on the other end explains that she parked illegally, but of course didn't know it was illegal because there wasn't any sign in the lot. (I'm not even going to touch that excuse, which is so old and worn out at this point that I think it's mummified remains can be seen at the Smithsonian) She continues and explains she was going to move the car when she realized her error, but at that very moment, our man swooped into the lot, blocked her in, and refused to let her leave until she paid him $65.

I inform her that $65 is the drop fee, and per borough ordinances, it cannot be charged unless the vehicle has been picked up off the ground, and there is simply no way our driver would charge them that (since that's breaking the law and all) unless the vehicle was indeed off the ground.

NO! The person INSISTS that he didn't have her car picked up at all! In fact, he never TOUCHED it!

I tell her that I know for a fact he did, because, the lot she was illegally parked in was one I actually had just DRIVEN PAST on my way into the office that day.

In fact, I had stopped my car and gotten out to see if Randy, the driver in question, needed an extra pair of eyes, or an extra set of fisticuffs if the owner and his crew happened to show up and be itching for a fight. By that time, he had already had the car lifted, halfway out of the spot it was parked in, and was surrounded by our caller and her two acquaintances who seemed to be behaving themselves, so I got back into my car and continued on.

NO! Aren't I listening? She was charged even though the car was NEVER TOUCHED!

Fine, you know what, they don't pay me enough to humor the delusions of others, but they DO pay the towing manager (TM) the big-bucks *SNERK* for that. Hate to do this to you this early in the shift, Boss, but here's a call for ya.... I explain it as best I can, car was lifted and partially towed, I saw it with my own eyes, complaint is baseless as it isn't even factually correct.

I only hear his half of it from here on out

-Towing Manager, can I help you?
    -Yes
    -Yes
    -He didn't even touch the car?
    -Yes he did, one of my drivers saw it picked up.
    -He's a 5 year veteran of mine, and he wouldn't lie.
    -No
    -No, Randy would not have done that
    -No, he wouldn't have charged you unless he had the car lifted
    -He also has 5 years experience, and I know he wouldn't do that
    -Yes, yes I will believe the word of two of my employees with a combined 10 years of honest service with me over you, M'am.
    -No, I won't refund you
    -No
    -No
    -Why? Because you're lying to me, that's why, there's no reason why I should give your money back to you when you straight up lie? Why should I reward poor morals?
    -Hello?
    -Hello?
    -Huh, guess she hung up.

And she had....

Too bad she can't call in now and complain that we broke her car somehow, which is what a lot of people who's initial "no sign" complaint gets them nowhere often do. You know, claiming that dent on the hood that's so old is has rust streaks around it wasn't there when they parked it....

After all, she'd just spent nearly a whole minute arguing we never touched it...
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Quoth Argabarga View Post
    Too bad she can't call in now and complain that we broke her car somehow, which is what a lot of people who's initial "no sign" complaint gets them nowhere often do. You know, claiming that dent on the hood that's so old is has rust streaks around it wasn't there when they parked it....

After all, she'd just spent nearly a whole minute arguing we never touched it...
    Bah, come on. You know that wouldn't stop her from doing that. Logic and consistency are foreign concepts to these kinds of people.
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Why? Because you're lying to me, that's why, there's no reason why I should give your money back to you when you straight up lie? Why should I reward poor morals?
      OMG, I think I LOVE your towing manager!!
      Last edited by Dave1982; 01-19-2013, 05:43 PM. Reason: excessive quoting

Comment

Wonder if this applies in other areas of her life.
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
          Wonder if this applies in other areas of her life.
          I have severe doubts that she's the Virgin Mary.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Why do people think they can get away with anything. "The customer is always right" died in the last century!
            You've got a real problem all right, and a banjo is the only answer! - Pinkie Pie

Comment

Could have gone worse, much worse.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...owing-accident
              "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

heh. please tell me she ended up being stupid enough to try that anyway.

Quoth Dark Psion View Post

that's ... wow. I guess the Dean REALLY didn't want to pay his fine.
                Last edited by PepperElf; 01-19-2013, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  that's ... wow. I guess the Dean REALLY didn't want to pay his fine.
                  That's really awful. It sounds like he was a decent guy who made two bad choices, one fatal. However, it doesn't sound like the tow guy's fault.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Your towing manager... backing you and your fellow operators up like that... THAT'S a good trait for a boss.

Unfortunately, I have dealt with personally, and had other friends/family members describe situations where a manager/supervisor throws their own people under the bus at the slightest whiff of complicated situation/angry person...

Comment

Sounds like you guys need "dash cams" only pointed at the back of the truck.

Bet you you'd get a whole different set of reactions if you could tell them "Lets look at the video".

And you could make extra money by selling the videos of especially stupid customers to TV shows. :-)

Comment

Quoth ComputerNecromancer View Post
                        Sounds like you guys need "dash cams" only pointed at the back of the truck.

Bet you you'd get a whole different set of reactions if you could tell them "Lets look at the video".

And you could make extra money by selling the videos of especially stupid customers to TV shows. :-)
                        Or at least give those Russian dash cam videos a run for their money on Youtube :P

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                          I have severe doubts that she's the Virgin Mary.
                          Heh. If anything, she's got more fingerprints on her than the FBI database at Quantico.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I remember I got towed a couple years ago. I know for a fact there wasn't a 1 inch fresh black scratch all along the passenger side mirror (car was gray). I didn't have any accidents whatsoever in the car. There were a couple very minor ones that were already there but the one in question was glaring and wasn't there before the tow. When I came to pick up my car at the tow lot, I questioned the guy who brought the vehicle out for me to inspect he claimed it was already there and pointed out the paperwork the guy who towed it had filled out. I told him the one who towed it could've accidentally scratched my car then circled the appropriate spot on the diagram afterwards. He told me impossible which is BS cause shit happens, but I digress. I just wanted my car back and they wouldn't accept the fact that mistakes can happen. I was paying for my mistake in getting towed but they wouldn't accept responsibility for their actions. I just took it in stride because I could see they wouldn't own up to their drivers' mistake. I'm sure you've heard and seen it all in your business, I'm just saying.
                            Last edited by Willis; 01-21-2013, 11:30 PM.

Comment

"Welcome to Argabarga's towing, where everyone is awesome!"

Seriously, major kudos to you, your coworker and your manager.

Comment

Working...
                              X