This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "What's a landline?"

That's what this girl, around 8 or 9, asked after I mentioned to her dad that I heard phone companies are planning to phase them out. The dad and all the customers behind them were Me, too.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I bet showing her a rotary phone would be fun.
    How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Makes you wonder what kids would think of typewriters and record players...
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

...or cassettes and 8-tracks
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
          Better yet, one with a crank to ring Central.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
            When I tell people I'm old enough that I learned how to type in a typewriter I get the strangest looks! It was an IMB Selectric with the pop-out font ball, and I learned how to type up business letters, memos, and a bunch of other assorted things that have since fallen out of use in this age of computers and Word templates.
            I learned on those as well during 1st year Typing. Second year we had brother electronic typewriters.

I also had two typewriters at home that I used . . . one was a portable Smith Corona electric (which gave me a royal fit when I'd try to use it) and a vintage Consul manual. Ask me which one got more use?

Quoth Patiokitty
            I know for ages all the kids wanted one of those yellow and black Sony Walkman cassette players - it was to us what iPods are to the kids these days. Well, if your a kid who has bought into the iPod craze, that is.

I had one of those too . . . wasn't a Sony brand (they were too expensive for my mom to afford back then) but I had a GE model w/FM radio. And I've lost count of how many boom boxes (or Ghetto Blasters as they were also popularly known as) we had during that decade.

The next to last one we bought needed a trailer and a hitch - it was SO big. It not only had the double cassette deck built in, but also inputs for a CD player and turntable. Had AM/FM/TV/Shortwave built in and a siren and strobe light that if it were set, you didn't dare walk in front of it. It would go off and it could be heard 5 miles away in all directions!!!

And I found a pic online of one just like it (sadly, I don't have mine anymore - it left my building when all my vintage Commodore computer equipment walked out some years back.)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 07-14-2013, 08:18 PM.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              My stepfather has one.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

My grandmother still has an old calculator that doesn't use any electricity. My mother still has my dad's slide rule.
                This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

As a collector of vintage telephones, I know pretty damn well what they are. I have several dozen of them at this point, mostly with rotary dials, though some are touchtone (several of which are early examples, with only ten buttons on the dial pad, missing the star and pound keys, which makes it difficult to use some phone menus). We have Verizon FiOS's basic phone service which, fortunately, is mostly friendly to rotary phones (only issue is that it's extremely picky with regards to the rate of dial pulses; if the phone's rotary dial is too fast or too slow, it won't recognize the digits). I keep several of my old phones hooked up at all times, rotating between examples in the collection.

Ah yes, a favorite 'prank' among collectors of old phones. *kid pushes their finger through the holes in the dial* "Where are the buttons?"

Quoth dalesys View Post
                  I don't have a full one yet, though I do have a ringer box with a crank magneto in it (referred to as a "subset") which would've been used with a candlestick phone (which I also have an example of).

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  Makes you wonder what kids would think of typewriters and record players...
                  Quoth protege View Post
                  ...or cassettes and 8-tracks
                  Should I be embarrassed that I still have all of these? I'm considering setting up an obsolete technology museum someday, though I'm far from working out the logistics.
                  -Adam
                  Goofy music!
                  Old tech junk!

Comment

Quoth AdamAnt316 View Post
                    As a collector of vintage telephones, I know pretty damn well what they are. I have several dozen of them at this point, mostly with rotary dials, though some are touchtone (several of which are early examples, with only ten buttons on the dial pad, missing the star and pound keys, which makes it difficult to use some phone menus). We have Verizon FiOS's basic phone service which, fortunately, is mostly friendly to rotary phones (only issue is that it's extremely picky with regards to the rate of dial pulses; if the phone's rotary dial is too fast or too slow, it won't recognize the digits). I keep several of my old phones hooked up at all times, rotating between examples in the collection.
                    Awesome! I just sort of assumed that the fios adapter wouldn't talk rotary. I'll have to getbmine back out. Thanks!
                    Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                      Awesome! I just sort of assumed that the fios adapter wouldn't talk rotary. I'll have to getbmine back out. Thanks!
                      The FiOS network interface (aka the ONT) has a built-in pulse-to-tone converter. Occasionally, while dialing, you'll hear a touch-tone after the pulses have gone through. The nice thing about that is, if you're dealing with a phone menu which asks you to dial 1 for English, you can dial 1 on the rotary dial, and it'll advance the phone menu. Remember, though, that said converter is sensitive to the pulse rate; if you start dialing a number and it doesn't break the dial tone, the dial is probably a bit sluggish. Good luck!
                      -Adam
                      Goofy music!
                      Old tech junk!

Comment

Many years ago, parents had only a rotary phone in the house. My brother had one of his friends over, who needed to call home to let his parents know where he was. Dad points out the phone on the kitchen wall and goes back to his book. Several minutes later, brother's friend asks dad how to use the phone.

Comment

I'm considering setting up an obsolete technology museum someday, though I'm far from working out the logistics.
                          That would be pretty nifty, actually.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I'm considering setting up an obsolete technology museum someday, though I'm far from working out the logistics.
                            -Adam
                            Don't forget to put a yellow HB pencil next to the audio casettes.
                            It's not the years in you life that count, it's the life in your years! - Quote from the office coffee cup.

Comment

I still have a portable cassette player/radio. Still works.

I recall once being in the local thrift store with my brother and this kid standing nearby points to a record player and says, "Can you show me how this works?"

Talk about a sign of getting old...!
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X