Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sure, I'm asking for ID to make you mad (language)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always like when I ask for ID and I get "Well, I can give you my birthday." Uh, right. That will work. Hey, I can throw out random dates, too!
    I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
      Sometimes its easy to see this and thing that the second person went away *so* you didn't get ID'd when buying for them/both of you.... Had that happen before. Cashiers do get over paranoid due to the way some companies seem to rant about failing an ID sting could pretty much ruin your life!
      Over here, it's a £90 fine plus the risk of losing your job and getting a police caution into the bargain. Hardly surprising that most cashiers are paranoid then!
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
        Sometimes its easy to see this and thing that the second person went away *so* you didn't get ID'd when buying for them/both of you.... Had that happen before. Cashiers do get over paranoid due to the way some companies seem to rant about failing an ID sting could pretty much ruin your life!
        We've had that drilled into us for YEARS about those undercover stings, as well as the penalties for selling to underage folks, so yes we're supposed to be paranoid as HELL over it.

Nevermind that I've seen managers come and override (and I've had that happen - in which case I sign off my numbers and they use their cashier numbers for the transaction) whenever myself or someone else running a register has a concern about selling someone anything that requires ID.

Way I look at it is this: unless you want to pay not only my court costs but also my bills and utilities and buy my groceries that I won't be able to b/c I have NO JOB - then I am going to refuse to sell to you and you can KISS MY ASS.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
          Nevermind that I've seen managers come and override (and I've had that happen - in which case I sign off my numbers and they use their cashier numbers for the transaction) whenever myself or someone else running a register has a concern about selling someone anything that requires ID.
          Just curious, but if one of those manager overrides turns out to be a "sting", how long would it be before any of the OTHER managers (the one doing the override wouldn't count, since they'd probably be fired) ever did another override?
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            Just curious, but if one of those manager overrides turns out to be a "sting", how long would it be before any of the OTHER managers (the one doing the override wouldn't count, since they'd probably be fired) ever did another override?
            That's a good question, but so far (and I've been with my current employer 9 1/2 years now but in the grocery biz going on 24) I've not seen that happen.

Not saying it couldn't but just that I've not heard of that happening so far at my store.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
              We've had that drilled into us for YEARS about those undercover stings, as well as the penalties for selling to underage folks, so yes we're supposed to be paranoid as HELL over it.

Way I look at it is this: unless you want to pay not only my court costs but also my bills and utilities and buy my groceries that I won't be able to b/c I have NO JOB - then I am going to refuse to sell to you and you can KISS MY ASS.
              I completely agree, as not only would being busted cause the cashier not only to be fired, but have a criminal record that basically prevents them from getting another job, as nobody wants to hire someone who was caught selling alcohol to anyone under age.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                Over here, it's a £90 fine plus the risk of losing your job and getting a police caution into the bargain. Hardly surprising that most cashiers are paranoid then!
                When I first started at the grocery store seven years ago, they showed us a video of a cashier not carding a "kid" under 21 and the police showing up and hauling the cashier away that very same shift. Scared the hell out of me.

Also, our "Secret shoppers" also will test a cashier asking for ID for anyone looking under 30. That happens pretty much weekly.

Hell yeah, I'm paranoid.
                Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

I generally NEVER make a fuss about showing my ID for alcoholic beverages.

Because I'm not an SC. I usually just say "Sure!", and take my license out and show it to the cashier.

Though I did see someone steal some beer once. I felt a little bad because I didn't say anything (I get easily distracted sometimes, and I think I was thinking of something else at the time, too). They were in line in front of us in the grocery store. They had a six pack in their cart, but it was underneath (where you would put some large items), and I don't think they took it out from under their cart, nor do I think the cashier saw it.

The problem here was twofold:

1. They stole beer, most likely intentionally.
                  2. This was on Sunday, before noon. And as many of you know, in the U.S., alcoholic beverages cannot be sold before noon on Sundays.
                  Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                    In the two states I've primarily worked in, the fine ranges from $1,500-$2,000.

That's not counting the legal fees or lost income from after you've been fired from your job, and been unable to get a new job in the industry you're most experienced in because you got busted.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

I get people like that all the time with phone numbers. If I need a phone number, they'll argue with me about it. And it's ALWAYS for when they want a phone call back.

Comment

Working...
                      X