X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deeerrrrrrppppp

So, I had an interesting one today.

Customer "Bottle A says its 34 cents an ounce and Bottle B says its 26 cents an ounce."
    Me "Yes."
    Customer "So is A 34 cents an ounce and B 26 cents an ounce?"
    Me "Yes."
    Customer "But it says that Bottle A is 34 cents an ounce and Bottle B is 26 cents an ounce!!"
    Me "Yes."
    Customer "So does that mean that Bottle A is 34 cents an ounce and Bottle B is 26 cents an ounce?"
    Me "Yes."
    Customer "But that's what it says!!!!!!!!!"
    Me "Yes......."

Really not sure what she was wanting me to say, or even what her question was. Assuming that she actually had a question and didn't just want my attention focused on her instead of on the other 3 people trying to pay for their stuff.
    "Hold this one under a little longer; it didn't take." - My sister and I

It was alcoholic and she wanted you to pour her a 39-cent shot and try to sell the rest of the bottle?
    She was trying to distract you while someone else stole stuff?
    Your guess is as good as mine.
    "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
    Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results" - Albert Einstein

Comment

Quoth Skittles88 View Post
        "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results" - Albert Einstein
        Yes. Yes and once again, yes.

Comment

I'm assuming the two bottles were the same kind of product?

In which case, the SC was, I think, trying to argue (badly) that Bottle A should be the same price per ounce as Bottle B.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Why do I get the feeling that she has never used the "price per unit" method of shopping? It's not rocket science and look, the store even did the hard part (the math) for her. Like government contracts up for bidding, the lowest number wins!

So, I think she was actually asking, "Which is cheaper?" only her brain decided to malfunction even further.
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
              Why do I get the feeling that she has never used the "price per unit" method of shopping? It's not rocket science and look, the store even did the hard part (the math) for her. Like government contracts up for bidding, the lowest number wins!

So, I think she was actually asking, "Which is cheaper?" only her brain decided to malfunction even further.
              I think you may be right. Her expression throughout the whole thing was one of bewilderment.

Comment

Ugh,

Back when I worked retail I did a brief stint in the pricing department.

The state regulations required us to label with the unit price as well as total price of all products.

I can remember the occasional angry email coming though from someone whose unique math skills had interpreted all that information in some totally befuddling way and convinced them we were, once again, false advertizing and ripping them off because according to THEIR math, we overcharged them by $4.8 Million

At least we had management with backbone who'd just dash off a form reply that their math is wrong, we pass all of our audits and if they feel there is really an issue, contact the Weights and Measures Dept. or the Attorney General.
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Star View Post
                  Really not sure what she was wanting me to say, or even what her question was.
                  Sounds like someone with a problem trying to figure out why the same product (I'm guessing) would have different per unit prices.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

^ That's my guess. But she needed to use her words.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Some people just need to learn to stop poking their noses in.

Comment

Two bottles, similar products, BUT if the 26 cent per ounce bottle was larger, the price might exceed the other, causing much confusion [for her].

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                          ^ That's my guess. But she needed to use her words.
                          She was using all the words she had. She needed some different words. Perhaps she should buy a dictionary instead of Bottle A or Bottle B.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

If it was the same product but different sizes it might be cheaper per ounce because you get a discount per ounce by buying the bigger bottle too.

We have that with our bags, cans, and packs of loose tobacco too. The bigger the bag the cheaper it is per ounce.

Example:
                            16 ounce bag is $8.80 plus tax. That is $0.55+ an ounce.
                            6 ounce bag is $3.70 plus tax. That is $0.62+ an ounce.

What really gets people going though is one chewing tobacco company has cartons(12 little packs) of it's chew as.. 12 single packs, buy 2 get 1 free, or buy 1 get 1 free. The cartons have the same amount of packs, same size packs, just different prices for the cartons. These people will stand there forever thinking about which is the better deal. Me telling them the B1G1 is best is ignored.

Comment

Food Lady: That's my guess. But she needed to use her words.

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                              She was using all the words she had. She needed some different words. Perhaps she should buy a dictionary instead of Bottle A or Bottle B.
                              Dictionary - possibly the most underused thing in the town currently I work in. I have never done so many charades-for-communication before........

Comment

Working...
                              X