X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Labels are for losers"

<Background>
    I work for a company that has an IT support contract with big organisation. My role is to work with the Organisation projects office on internal IT projects. One of the types of projects that we get is moving large amounts of IT equipment around. This story involves one such move.
    </background>

This project started off good and went rapidly downhill. It is to move one section (the clients) out of building A and into a newly built extension of building B. We discuss the details of the move with all involved. The person from the section coordinating the move is very helpful. It is agreed that my team will pack the IT equipment into large boxes supplied by the clients. My team will do the set up when everything has arrived. The clients have to get the boxes from building A to Building B and delivered to the right spot. The organisation uses the same team of removalists for all the moves. Both my team and the movers like everything to be labelled with the destination (ie desk 7) that matches a floor plan.

The project went down hill when it was continually delayed by the new building not being ready. It crashed when the client coordinator we had been dealing with left her job two days before the move. The replacement coordinator ditched all the plans and did it her way. Things that went wrong:

1. Not enough boxes
    The client didn't have enough boxes for all the computers. They had known for 6 weeks that they need about 20 large boxes for the computers. Instead they packed other things into the large boxes.

2. "Labels are for losers"
    Why go to all the effort of printing out neat clear labels for the boxes and furniture. Simply grab a marker and scribble a quick one or two word description of where the box is from. Don't even bother labelling all the furniture, just point at it an run away. The problem with this great plan to save on labels was that building A and building B don't have the same layout. There was no store room in B so all the boxes labelled "Storeroom" got put everywhere. It was difficult to find the IT equipment as it was amongst 20 boxes labelled "Bruce". The floor plan only has numbers so which desk does Bruce sit at? The clients have all disappeared and we have no ideas. Let's guess a number.

3. Pack everything including the rubbish
    There were items in there storeroom that was past its used by date. Instead of throwing this out they packed it up and brought it with them. Why bring the rubbish? Because it might be important and no one spent the last 6 weeks preparing to move by throwing out old stuff.

4. Your company moves the computers
    My team will move the computers inside a building using flat bed trolleys. Other in my company will move a computer using the delivery van. It is up to the organisation to move large numbers of computers. My project manager told the client coordinator this and of course the coordinator then tried to get my team to move them. It was not going to happen as I had a single flat bed trolley that fits two boxes, there was a construction site between buildings A and B, we would have had to drag the trolley up a flight of stairs and finally we would have had to drag the trolley along a public road. Look of there, it is a team of movers who are willing to take the computer boxes in their truck just like every other move.

5. "The IT equipment has priority, so load it first"
    Yep, the client coordinator got the movers to put the computers in the truck first. Brilliant plan! I only found this out when I asked the movers where the computer boxes were. The movers don't argue with the clients, they just do as they are told, even if it is a stupid idea.

6. Seriously underestimate the load
    The clients believed that it would take one truck, 4 guys and two hours to move everything from A to B. You know that it is not going well when you hear the head mover on the phone to the office trying to get more guys. In the end it was about 8 guys, two trucks and two days to move everything. We are dependant upon the equipment being move and the client's seem to believe that the movers have teleporters or a tardis.

My team was left sitting around waiting for desks and computers to appear. Client coordinator then wanted us to return to our office on the other side of and come back when they were ready for us. Seems reasonable until you factor in travel allowance which my company pays us but doesn't bill to organisation. We are charged out by the day so it is better for company if we stay were we are. About an hour later sent half the team back to the office to work on other projects and rescheduled to be in building B again the next day.

7. Not all desks are equal
    The movers pulled the desks apart (three pieces per desk) in building A, moved them to building B and then noticed that the desks varied on mounting points. The guys putting the desk together started to play desk tetris with all the bits scattered in 4 different rooms. The desks were not all together until the second day.

8. No Overtime
    When we plan a project the client is given an estimate of any overtime. No estimate then we don't work overtime. This project shouldn't have required it but it was looking like the coordinator was expecting us to work late. It would have been unpaid overtime and I told the coordinator's boss that we had to leave at knock off time. Thirty minutes before knock off the last of the computer boxes arrived and promptly disappeared along with my one remaining team member. The coordinator's computer was in one of the missing boxes and she start to get very narky at me. How did we lose the boxes? They didn't have proper labels and got lost in the chaos of boxes. Fifteen minutes before knock off I find my missing team member and we start sorting out the remaining computers. I also started to pass on a message to him that he wasn't required the next day when the coordinator misheard the message an accused us of not setting up her computer. It was at that point that I nearly lost my temper and told her that she was overhearing a private conversation. We had her computer in our hands as she was complaining. I went home thinking that she was going to lodge a complaint about me. The next day she apologised, we got everything finished and left the movers to sort out the mess. The guy that went missing had been sent to the other end of the building by the client boss to fix an issue.

Ok long rant. The short version is lack of planning and no labels will result in your move taking twice as long.

The move happened at the start of November. In December the client coordinator rang the project manager because they had locked themselves out of the comms cupboard. The project manager had great delight in telling them that it was not our problem as the project was completed.

Just...wow... That is one epic pile-on of fail. Glad they didn't try and blame all this on your firm.

Sounds like this client has been getting advise from Evilhomer's clients...

Comment

You're not making me any more confident in the upcoming move for my office...

At least my laptop will be at home with me for the move weekend.
      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Having to teach hubby about number 2.... we are using lots of existing boxes to move from this house to our own seperate lives. Most of these boxes have writing on them already from prior uses or branding of what was originally in them.

He got annoyed because rather than writing "gizmo" on them.... I took a distinctive tape (yellow and black) and put a strip of that clearly on the top of each box. To me it stands out way more than one or two more words on a already busy box!
        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
          You're not making me any more confident in the upcoming move for my office...
          That was the worst move that we had in a while. Normally we put the computer into a large box and put a nice big label on it. We get the moves to shift the computers first (or put them on the back of the truck). At the destination all the desks are labelled and it is a simple case of box 1 goes to desk 1.

On some jobs the clients have labelled every bit of the computer including the mouse and keyboard. I am happy to see too many labels instead of none.

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
            Sounds like this client has been getting advise from Evilhomer's clients...
            I read Evilhomer's posts and go "had that one before". I have also watched clients try to get the movers to shift full filing cabinets and cupboards. Results are either the destruction of the furniture or a the clients emptying it out.

Comment

The only possible way to move from office "A" to office "B" with minimal complication is for office "A" to burn to the ground the night beforehand
              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                The only possible way to move from office "A" to office "B" with minimal complication is for office "A" to burn to the ground the night beforehand
                Then for somebody to nuke it from orbit ... just to be on the safe side.
                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

nah. worked for a place that moved from one building to another. Each desk was numbered in the new building and each person was given a box to pack their desk into which was labeled by where it was going in the new building. Each cubicle type had each piece numbered with the same number/letter combo so they could be connected to others of the same type fittings.
                  Movers moved everything afterwork Friday. Monday we came to work, everything but our desks were set and ready and the boxes were at the correct desk.
                  Of course we DID have an anal manager who had a nice 'delicate' way of making you feel like a complete idiot if you screwed up. No one wanted to hear what she would say if we didn't do our small part right.

Comment

And for office "B" to burn down just afterward.
                    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Working...
                    X