This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did they make a special queue for me?

So I'm back in the call center game which was somewhere above "Testing razor blade suppositories" on my list of things I wanted to do in life. The field that this center services is rather small so I continue my normal tradition of being vague.

By and large, my customers tend to be nice. However, we are in our peak season and the law of averages take hold. Today, I give you the finalists in the Fecal Olympics.

Bronze: State Law Says No

Some of or customers are exempt from state sales tax. But there are some very specific rules to get this. As such, we have to be the bad guys when they violate one of those rules and can't get that:

SC: Why was I charged tax? I don't pay tax.
    Me: Well, ma'am, you sent the order to your home. Unfor-
    SC: NO! I've done this ELEBENTY BILLION TIMES! TAKE THE TAX OFF!
    <round and round we go>
    Me: I'm sorry, ma'am but this is final. I can't remove the sale tax.
    SC: Cancel my order and I'm going to someone that CAN HELP ME!
    Me:

Silver: Discounts Count

SC: I spoke to a sales rep and they gave us a 15% discount.
    Me: Yes, I see that has been applied.
    SC: But I just got a discount in the mail for 20%
    <I know this discount. It's not for all items, just some. The one the rep gave was for all items. I explain this to her>
    SC: But I still want it applied. I think it's unfair that no one told me.
    Me: Ma'am, the one on the order is better. But it's moot anyway as the order is already being fulfilled. I can't change it.
    SC: But that's not FAAAIIIR! SOMEONE SHOULD HAVE TOOOOOOLD MEEEE!

Gold: Carnac The Magnificent, I am Not

A customer has an issue with an item that comes from a vendor. With these, we put it in a request for a replacement. But not today, apparently.
    ME: I apologize, ma'am. I can get a line to the vendor and get this replaced.
    SC: No, I don't want a replacement.
    Me: Um, okay. Well, I can offer you 15% off another item of the same type.
    SC: No.
    Me: Okay, well, what is it you'd like me to do?
    SC: Something. I can't use this.
    Me: "Something." Well, this item is over a year old and carries no warranty.
    SC: But I paid A LOT OF MONEY! ($140, again from last year)
    Me: Okay, but you don't want a replacement nor do you want a discount on a similar item. What is it I can do for you?
    SC: I don't know! Something! FIX THIS!
    Me: (completely frustrated) You're going to need to give me more than that.
    SC: ....
    Me:....
    SC: ...I have a large order coming up and if you can't do anything to make this right, I'm going to someone else.
    Me: I offered two solutions and you shot them both down.
    SC: ....I want to talk to your manager.
    Me:

Days like today make me wish I could drink...without, you know, the chance of dying.
    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

My sympathies. I've had customers like that.

One woman placed a memoriam ad for some deceased relative. We ran it on the wrong day. I offered to run it the following day at no charge. No, she didn't want that. I said, "So, then, you want a full refund?"

"No, no."

"Ma'am, I can either run it tomorrow at no charge or I can refund your money. I can't do anything about the fact that it's in today's paper."

"Well, I think that's ridiculous."
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

"Something!"

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Silver claim

The computer store I used to work at sold Commodore Computers.

On a Friday we would get a call asking for the serial numbers (inventory) of the items we still had in stock for a refund because the price would be dropping x% on Monday.

The store was close on Saturday and Sunday, so if you were a customer who bought just before the call there was no way for us to know the price would be dropping that weekend. Some people who came in late on those Fridays could save by waiting till the next day, the most of the rest understood prices drop, but a few of them

My saying at the time was "If Bill Gates, the richest man in North America bought the best microcomputer available, the following year a kid with a paper-route could afford to buy a better machine.".

Comment

If someone says they want "something" done, I'll give them "something": nothing. Yes, that IS something, isn't it?
          Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

I think someone wasn't fishing for a freebie. I think she was throwing the dynamite into the pond for a freebie.
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post
              SC: I spoke to a sales rep and they gave us a 15% discount.
              Me: Yes, I see that has been applied.
              SC: But I just got a discount in the mail for 20%
              <I know this discount. It's not for all items, just some. The one the rep gave was for all items. I explain this to her>
              SC: But I still want it applied. I think it's unfair that no one told me.
              Me: Ma'am, the one on the order is better...
              I had several customers like this, both when I worked at a pizza place and later at Major Electronics Retailer. I'd usually just run the total for the order as I had entered it and again for the order as they wanted it and asked them to tell me which price they preferred.

Only one customer insisted that her deal--same items, higher price--was better than mine and demanded that I allow her to pay more. I obliged.
              I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
              - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
              - IPF

Comment

Is it just me, or could "Razor Blade Suppositories" be a band name??
                Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Welcome fellow headset minion! You're in good company here.
                  "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Working...
                  X