This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotel ice machines

Hello all as it's been a while since I've posted. I just got back from vacation and have a nice story to tell about those hotel ice machines.

Last year, the family and I went to Panama City Beach, FL. This is a town located in the panhandle of Florida, about an hour to the east of Pensacola. We stayed at this wonderful hotel called the Casa Loma. It's a bit of a dated hotel, but well taken care of, and clean.

This was our first time there, and one of the courtesies they had was providing a ten pound bag of ice for each day you stayed there. I thought this was great as it meant not having to go to the store and keep replenishing our ice in the cooler. This was also on an honor system where you simply helped yourself to one bag.

Well, guess what? I recall seeing people taking two and three bags at a time, per day. When we left there last year, my feeling was that they would probably one day change this policy.

We had so much fun last year, we went back and stayed longer, and even stayed in the same room we had last time. After checking in, I saw that the hotel now has the normal ice machines that you push the button and fill up a bucket from your room, and they had a sign on them that said "Please do not fill coolers with ice". So, looks like my premonition came true.

Now, I will admit, there are times when I will get one or two buckets of ice and put a little bit in my cooler, and then I go buy more at a nearby store. But, there are times you go and people are literally filling up for a soccer game, or a cooler for twenty people. Then, when you want to get a bucket for yourself, the machine is empty.

When I was a kid in the 70's and 80's, I remember when hotels had the huge ice chests, and you used to scoop the ice out, similar to what construction sites sometimes have. But, people used to empty those out in no time at all, too, which is probably why they have the rinky dink machines.

As I say, people ruin it for others by taking advantage of a business' hospitality.

Something about anything that's free makes people go nuts. HotelMinion has posted about people filling shopping bags full of food at the free breakfast her hotel offers. I haven't seen that myself at my location (I'm not going to fuss at someone for taking an extra two slices of bread for a lunch sammich) but I have no doubt someone has done it at some point.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

WishfulSpirit....believe me, it happens. Just take a look at this thread I posted a couple of years back:

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...d.php?t=101478

And sometimes, you wonder if the people you see doing this are actually staying there, or if they just pulled in to avoid paying a few bucks at the local McDonald's.

Comment

At the motel I work at it is the coffee that is taken in large amounts. My feeling is that coffee is provided to drink with your breakfast but this does not stop people from filling up huge thermos's with all the coffee I put out. I would be more than happy to provide those people with coffee from the back so that the coffee put out stays more full for everyone else. We also have people that pig out on the breakfast and take stuff with them. We had one guy who filled up a tupperware container with sausage gravy and then put it in his cooler with biscuits. Another guest used to take bread and peanut butter and jelly with her for sandwiches at lunch.

Comment

With more hotels going for electronic card keys, why doesn't someone come up with a (looks to me to be simple) way to stop the ice machine abuse? Instead of just a "push button to dispense", you have to swipe your card to make the button "live". After a set amount of dispensing time (let's say enough to fill the provided ice bucket twice), or a set amount of elapsed time (2-3 minutes would be good), whichever comes first, the button goes "dead" again.

The hotel can take one of 2 options:

- If they want to limit ice consumption, there's a "cooldown" (let's say half an hour) before any card key assigned to that room will activate the button again.

- If they want to make a bit of extra money (would require more hardware), there's the same "cooldown", but with the option to override it with a second button - but this override bills the room for the extra ice.

Either way, the person wanting a normal quantity of ice won't be affected (other than having to swipe their card), but someone wanting to fill a cooler will either be blocked or have to pay for their ice.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            With more hotels going for electronic card keys, why doesn't someone come up with a (looks to me to be simple) way to stop the ice machine abuse? Instead of just a "push button to dispense", you have to swipe your card to make the button "live". After a set amount of dispensing time (let's say enough to fill the provided ice bucket twice), or a set amount of elapsed time (2-3 minutes would be good), whichever comes first, the button goes "dead" again.
            I recall using a ice machine like that several years ago. You needed a room card to get the machine to dispense ice. I don't recall if it limited the amount of ice.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Some hotels have one ice machine, which creates problems if it's a huge one with all of the rooms booked.

As with the key card, I've been to some hotels where they have those. It still doesn't stop people from the abuse though.

Comment

My favorite hotel

...in Toronto on Lombard St. Has always had a free continental breakfast got guests. Nothing fancy, but yogurt, cereal, coffee, fruit, toast & bagels. The breakfast room is modest-sized, and cannot accommodate the group tour sized groups that are their bread and butter. Our last visit in '04, allowed non-group guests take food from the breakfast room in a cardboard tray back to their rooms to eat.
                The number of bent-out-of-shape tourists who were denied stocking their rooms with food for another meal was astounding, and we only stayed 5 or 6 days....

Comment

Give idiots all they can eat and you'll see how much like pigs humans really are.
                  I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

people filling shopping bags full of food at the free breakfast her hotel offers
                    This...has never even occurred to me to try.

We stayed at a hotel once years ago for a con. The only restaurant they had was an overpriced, very fancy type...you couldn't possibly eat every meal for the whole weekend in there unless you were rich (we had ONE lunch in there. The waiter not only poured my hot water for tea, he also dunked the tea bag for me! This was also the day I learned that I loathe avocado )

And yet it never occurred to us to grab a pile of stuff at the continental breakfast buffet in the morning. We just went out and bought a few things to eat later. The con people also talked the hotel into providing pre-made sandwiches for lunch & dinner the rest of the weekend, so it all worked out well.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post
                      Give idiots all they can eat and you'll see how much like pigs humans really are.
                      Don't insult the pigs. They're highly intelligent animals (as intelligent as dogs) and they STOP eating when they're full.
                      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                        This...has never even occurred to me to try.
                        Of course not; you're not a greedy, self-centered jerk like the people who do this.

And naturally, decent people get stiffed when greedy, self-centered jerks run amok and take everything first.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

It's pretty rare to see the big bin style ice machines anywhere but inside a restaurant kitchen nowadays. Liability issues arise with the bins that you don't get with the dispensing machines.

Comment

I haven't seen one like that in a hotel since the '70's.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                            X