This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not trying to be sucky, but was frustrating

To give some background info on this - in the library system I work in, those of us who work at the service desk can provide limited computer-use assistance to customers......we aren't supposed to sit down and work with someone for long periods of time.

Yesterday afternoon, I have a man come up to me and ask if I can help his sister, said she was on computer #5. (I'll refer to her as Martha) Martha has a piece of mail from a well-known sweepstakes company, is trying to enter a code on their website, but was having trouble logging into her account.

To make it short, I ended up having to repeatedly explain the following things to Martha:

- I don't have access to account settings on the sweepstakes website, and can't manually reset her password.

- Martha had a "password reset" link that was sent to her G-mail account. She needed to go into her e-mail account to open that message. Martha didn't remember her Gmail password, and I can't manually reset that password for her, either.

- her library card number and password ONLY work for access to our public computers, website, and databases....NOT other areas of the Internet.

Anyhow, I don't know if Martha was just REALLY ignorant about how things on the Internet work, or if she was given the wrong information about what library staff could help her with. Either way, it was a rather sucky and frustration situation.....especially since I could sense she was getting annoyed with me for not being able to help her.

She's really ignorant, people should know that no one else can fix or reset passwords on their personal accounts with gmail or anyone else.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Well, some staff from the company that runs the website can do password resets if their system permits. I did several today while helping my caller's with my employer's website. I of course cannot (and would refuse to) get involved in servicing any website other than the one that falls into my job duties.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
        She's really ignorant, people should know that no one else can fix or reset passwords on their personal accounts with gmail or anyone else.
        Exactly so. On many sites, you have to type in your old password to get into the site to reset your password. So if she can't remember her own password ... how is somebody else supposed to know it??

This is why I've written down all my passwords. If I am going to use a computer other than my home one, I take the book with me so I can, you know, look up the necessary password(s) ...
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I let Chrome sync across devices.
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

"I told the computer to remember it. *Your* computer forgot it. Fix it!"
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
            X