Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discount Store Rants (ID) (Language) (Very long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth XCashier View Post
    While I do think it's a little silly for aerosol deodorant to be an age-restricted product, I didn't write the law and neither did you, but everyone has to follow it. I know why it is, of course; idiots trying to get high. Same reason Sudafed is prescription-only here when it used to be over-the-counter. It's an annoyance to law-abiding citizens, but it is the law and it must be followed. Screaming at the cashier over it does no good and only makes the screamer look like an asshole.
    Same reason I got carded for a can of "dust off" for my computer. Although I'm not sure why they think only people UNDER 18 huff. I saw a woman in her 20's pass out in a college bathroom doing just that.

Comment

I love getting carded.

Sometimes when I don't get carded, I have to try to remind myself that I go to the same stores too often, and they probably remembered me. Right?
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth manybellsdown View Post
        People would rather spend 15 minutes pitching a tantrum than 3 seconds fishing out their ID. Those people need a new goddamn hobby.
        This. So much this.

I used to volunteer at a convention I frequent, as Beer Troll. This was the essentially thankless job (although staff did thank me) of standing in front of the keg and getting ID from everyone before serving them alcohol. And I mean everyone, including the guys who looked 85 and had white beards, because that was con policy.

Most of the people were assholes about it if I carded them a second or third time, in which case I would snap something along the lines of "There are 1500 people at this convention, and 300 of them have come through my line since I saw you last. Take it as a compliment that I don't consider you ugly or annoying enough that I remember you." That usually shut them up.

Of course, the one who threw the tantrum about this was a 25-or-so-year-old woman who looked about 14. She started raging at me about how her boyfriend gets accused of being a pedophile everywhere she goes and how sick she was of that kind of treatment, and how dare I, argle blargle. Funnily enough, while he went to the car to get her ID, she sat and watched me card absolutely everyone who came up for alcohol, and got really, really quiet by the time I saw her ID and gave her her booze.
        "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
        Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

Wow...I'm so sorry any of that happened to you. I work in a convenience store, and i still don't get what is so bad about asking for ID...and SC 6 was out of line. you should have called the cops on that dude....yikes
          “I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat.”
          ― Rebecca West

Comment

Why do people get upset about being asked to show ID? One summer I worked as a bartender, and I QUICKLY learned to card ALL female customers, not just the ones who I wasn't sure were of age - the older they were, the bigger the tip I got.

Not just this thread, but it seems to be common for people to start swearing when asked for ID. Why doesn't some store put up a sign along the lines of "For each profanity used, we'll knock a year off the age shown on your ID"? Using U.S. booze sales as an example, person is 25 years old, but drops a half-dozen "F-bombs". Effective age 19 - no booze for you.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Wow, what a nightmare! Good thing you're out of there; especially since your bosses are spineless and don't back you up. Seriously, any customer whinging on about "sarcasm disguised as politeness" where I am would have their complaint filed where it deserves... in the idiot file.
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
              X