This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Parents: (wall of text)

B/G - I work in a private, religious, dormitory high school - our student body comes from across the US and Canada. Today was check-in day for the new school year - some of these are from today, but some are from over the years.

No, really, we aren't being stupid for asking you for your phone number every year. Want to know why? Because it is parents like YOU who move and don't even bother to tell us, much less update your contact info. So, yeah, we ask every parent, every year to give us that information.

Really, you are going to bitch and moan about filling in the emergency contact information and then once you do, that is when we find out your child has a life-threatening food allergy? SERIOUSLY? I'm food-allergy parent myself and you are the reason people get wary around me when they learn my child has food allergies. I may actually hate you.

Yes, we do expect you to pay us the tuition that is owed, and you know what, we aren't mean or demanding to ask you to pay it. Especially since full tuition is over $20,000 a year and that includes room and board and you were given a scholarship so that all you are paying is $4000. Hell, you can't feed your kid for 10 months on $4000, so frankly, you should be kissing our feet and thanking us for saving you money.

You actually put your 15 year old child on a plane by themselves, and not only didn't you send in the enrollment papers, you never even confirmed they were coming back this year, and you are surprised to get a phone call?

I'm sorry you left your check book at home, but you know what, you live here in town, and it is only a 20 minute drive. So, yeah, go get it and don't get angry at me that you thought we'd let you slide for 'forgetting' your checkbook. You owe us, you need to pay us.

Yes, we know you and your child's mother are divorced. Yes, we know you are the father. Your ex-wife did provide us with all your information on the initial application and on the enrollment paperwork. But you know what, we are NOT going to change our entire school schedule to fit into your pre-agreed visitation schedule. So, why don't you talk to your ex-wife's attorney about the visitation schedule and stop calling and yelling at us that your son will not be available in the middle of class to Skype with you once a week. Oh, and yes, we do like your ex-wife better than you, but so does your son, and it may have something to do with the fact that she's just a nicer person than you.

I don't freaking care if your kid is 18. You are the one who is responsible for paying tuition, so it is your responsibility to sign this paperwork.

Really, we mailed you the paperwork twice; we emailed it 3 times (and you replied to at least two of those emails). You don't get to claim that we didn't send it you. No, you really don't.

Do you really think yelling at me about any of the above is going to change anything? I don't decide on tuition; I don't decide on the rules; I don't decide what paperwork is needed. But I decide who I'm going to listen to, and since I want my boss to give me a raise and you are just the jerk not paying your tuition so there is no money to give me said raise, I think I shall listen to my boss.

Yes, our school does not allow students to have cell phones on campus. Students can bring them for traveling; we'll lock them in the safe and give them back when they have to travel home (and we'll do it for every single trip, even if your child has to fly home weekly for some reason). I know you don't like it, and I agree with you, it is extreme. But those are the rules. If you don't like it, don't send your child to our school! It is seriously that simple. We are not the only school in the country that can provide your child with an education. But when you try to work around the rules? Yeah, we know and we will catch your kid with his cell phone that he isn't allowed to have. We aren't stupid and we will think less of you.

Regarding the cell phone rule: are kids allowed to bring their iPods or Wi-Fi only iPads? If not, then I understand.
    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

I actually think the cell phone rule is good. Learning to exist without being attached to an electronic device like an umbilical cord isn't a bad idea. This coming from someone who really loves computers. And like you said, if they don't like it they can send their kid elsewhere. Or even try to go through the school to get the rule changed. Not just try to have their kid sneak it in. Way to teach your kid to deceive!

Working with parents is one of those things I don't think I could do, like dealing with weddings. I mean, retail makes me irritated, but this would kill me. Don't have two seconds to confirm a phone number which might be needed in an emergency involving your CHILD? You have failed parenthood.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

They are not allowed to have any of that stuff, except for items that only play music. The rules are very strict, and my DH and I have don't know if we will send our child to this school, partially because we think some of the rules are strict, but we both agree if we do send there, we will follow the rules (even if I have quit in a desire to somehow save my sanity).

And yes, the students drive me nuts - today's story involves the son whose father (most likely) left him the phone he shouldn't have. Because of Amazon and the like where you can order anything, and because one student did order a knife that was more weapon than tool and another was able to have alcohol shipped to him (scary how easily he was able to do that despite being only 15), we now have to check all packages. Cell phone student tried to convince me that he could take his package without it being checked (I just check the packages in, the AP distributes and checks contents). He's an idiot, because now, they won't take his word on what is in it (usually they are pretty trusting - if it is obviously from a parent, or from certain stores like Zappo's, they'll just take their word on it), and he will have to open it in front of the AP, and will have to open every package he receives for the rest of his stay at this school in front of the AP.

Comment

These rules don't sound too strict to me. These are people's children living away from home. Just looking around these days, I have to say that for some of them, even a little discipline is going to be a brand new experience.

And the phones, YES! Kids are growing up too dependent on their phones. Cell phones these days are fantastic, but if being without it gives you the vapors, you've got a problem. Besides, why make it easier for them to cheat or buy things they're not supposed to have?
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Too strict, not too strict. It's all in your perspective. But you are totally right. There are many, many school choices in this country. Unbelievably many if you have money. If you don't like the rules, don't send your kid. Idiot parents.

Comment

Good grief. You're sending your child to a very expensive private school. Of course there's probably gonna be a few unfortunate hoops you might have to jump through, but you're the ones picking this option and school in the first place! :|

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
                Too strict, not too strict. It's all in your perspective. But you are totally right. There are many, many school choices in this country. Unbelievably many if you have money. If you don't like the rules, don't send your kid. Idiot parents.
                And yet this seems hard to figure out for many people...

Comment

Working...
                X