This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
    Yet another reason I've been reading reviews less and less. Yes I know, it is possible to sort through the valid and stupid reviews, but I don't have the patience for it. Ever been on allrecipes? The reviews are psychotic. "I love this recipe, here's what I changed! *wall of text*" So... You're not reviewing the recipe are you??
    Their reviews are the worst! "This recipe is horrible! I didn't have any chicken stock or onions, so I used milk and apples instead. It was the most disgusting chicken noodle soup I've ever tasted!" Ya think?!
    Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      I'm sure somewhere out there, a restaurant has a review that reads like "The service was just too fast! The waiters were smiling too much! These prices are so low I'm suspicious! 1 star!"
      My wife used to work in a student loan call center. She had one customer call in saying they made the payment by mistake from the wrong account. "That's no problem...*type type* Ok, that's been refunded, you'll see it back in 3 to 5 days depending on your bank! Make sure you make a new payment before your due date to avoid any issues, please." "I WANT A SUPERVISOR!" " Why?" "That was too fast. You're lying to me!"

Comment

I enjoy reading reviews where a mix of people tried a recipe as-is along with those that tweaked it *shrugs*. I guess I've always figured that each person has their own taste, likes and dislikes, and I enjoy the varying opinions explaining WHY an alteration works better for them. Maybe they like less salt, or thicker soup, etc etc.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
          I write westerns.
          Quoth MoonCat View Post
          What did they expect? A stroll through the meadow, picking dandelions...?
          I am reminded of this song from a western.

A Home in the Meadow from How The West Was Won.

Westerns can have a stroll through the meadow.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
            I am reminded of this song from a western.

A Home in the Meadow from How The West Was Won.

Well, sure, but there's bound to be some of that other stuff, too...(fights, a swear word or two, and surely a saloon! )
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

... Westerns can have a stroll through the meadow.
              Tiptoe Through the Cow-Flops - Tucson Tim
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                I enjoy reading reviews where a mix of people tried a recipe as-is along with those that tweaked it *shrugs*.
                I think what HH meant was that there are times that a reviewer will change most or all of the ingredients, and then give the recipe -- that they didn't actually follow -- a really low rating when the dish doesn't turn out well.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  I think what HH meant was that there are times that a reviewer will change most or all of the ingredients, and then give the recipe -- that they didn't actually follow -- a really low rating when the dish doesn't turn out well.
                  Or a high rating. Because maybe I don't have lots of time to spend sorting through the reviews. I just pick the recipe with a zillion five star reviews and make it. Then maybe it's not as great as I expected, and I go back to the site and scroll down to find that the reviewers changed everything IN ORDER to make it a five star recipe. Yes, I know I can alter a recipe to make it awesome. I often do. And when I have time I don't mind looking through to see what I could substitute/etc in a recipe. But why not review the recipe as say, three stars, and then explain how it could be five stars? That would give a more accurate rating of the original recipe. /rant sorry.

It's like moving to a small fishing community and complaining about the "ugly buildings on the waterfront." Those buildings were net sheds. The people complaining had lots of money, so the city demolished the sheds. Now that town doesn't even have a fuel dock, and many boaters skip the harbor entirely. Yet its slogan is "the maritime city." Who's bitter? Me?
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    Well, sure, but there's bound to be some of that other stuff, too...(fights, a swear word or two, and surely a saloon! )
                    There was a lot of that other stuff in there, including a train wreck. That's why it was a good movie.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Yeah, there's a meadow in book three, and a brief bit of strolling...and...other things. So I guess it's a good thing this Very Sensitive Reader likely won't be going past book 1.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                        I remember when I saw the film Lust, Caution in a theater, and there were a couple of blue-hairs tutting throughout the fairly explicit sex scenes, and I was thinking, "Ladies...did not the presence of the word "Lust" in the title nor the NC-17 rating on the poster let you know what you were in for?
                        I'm one of those souls who is real picky about sex and violence in movies. This is why I do my research and pay attention to the ratings, instead of being a pain in the neck later. It's not the theater's fault that you didn't do your part to choose a movie you'd enjoy.
                        1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                        -----
                        http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

They really do this!

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          Welcome back!

...And, yeah, some folks will troll you that way, no matter what you do. I'm sure somewhere out there, a restaurant has a review that reads like "The service was just too fast! The waiters were smiling too much! These prices are so low I'm suspicious! 1 star!"
                          At the computer repair center we have gotten both complaints:

1) Customer described problem, we thought we knew what was wrong and quoted a high price to repair. Turned out we were wrong, it was a quick fix that used no parts.

Billed the customer the min. charge $15 plus taxes.

The Customer at pickup complained that the reason we quoted the high price is so we could "rip him off".

2) We did repairs in the order we received them. Told a customer it would be a business week before we could work on his machine. However, there was a mixup on the ordering of parts for the other repairs and we ended up working on the customer's machine the next day - and repairing too.

So we call the customer that his machine was ready for pickup.

The customer over the phone complains that he made all sorts of plans since he expected not to have his computer and now his whole week was ruined because we repaired the machine early.
                          Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 09-04-2015, 06:47 AM.

Comment

I admit, I was concerned about a quick turn around when I sent in a DS Lite to Nintendo for repair. Seriously, it was a lot faster than I expected. A week or two faster than I expected. Turns out the tech tried turning it on and decided it'd be faster and cheaper to send out another DS Lite. I only called them because I was kinda curious as to why it didn't take LONGER. No work order online for me to look at, just a "item in shipping."
                            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                              Yeah, there's a meadow in book three, and a brief bit of strolling...and...other things. So I guess it's a good thing this Very Sensitive Reader likely won't be going past book 1.
                              What's the name of that book again?
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                                What's the name of that book again?
                                I write under the name of Regina Shelley. That's all I can say.

My stuff is more geared to the YA market, so in all honesty, it's not graphic. If you're looking for a book to bookmark with yellow stickies, mine are probably not what you're looking for.

I do intend to write a smut novella under a pseudonym after the last one in the series is done being published. Market experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X