This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I get to put a SC in their place.

So I stopped off after work to my favourite 24hrs Timmys (yes I'm Canadian, deal with my Timmys addiction). I'm come to know the night staff quite well on account of frequency and the same order everytime.

These teens were in the store at the time ahead of me. They kept giving the night clerk shit because he wouldn't let them have their "service dog" in the store.

It wasn't a service dog. Very very clearly was not a service dog.

Service dogs are attentive to their handler. They don't start pulling at the leash and acting like pint sized pychos because they got to go in a food place. They are trained to behave in food establishments long before they ever get paired off with someone who needs them.

I don't like people harassing my friends.

Me: So I ask them what the service dog is supposed to be for.
    Kid: uh, I'm disabled obviously.
    Me: [being an asshole isn't considered a legal disability] Okay, where is your service dog's best or collar signifying it is a service dog. (All service dogs are required to have a clearly marked vest or wide collar with the dog's identification card in a special clear plastic card holder seen into the vest or collar. They are usually in bright florescent colours though not always.)
    Kid: uh, I left it at home.
    Me: [fine but you're still breaking the law technically] okay so who trained him/her.
    Kid: how should I know?
    Me: Because your parents would have had to apply to the organization to get one paired up with you and when you turned 17 you would have been required to sign paperwork stating you are responsible for taking care of this animal and that you do in fact need it to function.
    Kid: you can't possibly know that! You're lying.
    Me: No I'm not. I used to train service dogs for assisted living. Mostly CP, early MS dogs. I used to train bigger dogs for bigger people since part of their necessary function would require them to be used to pull oneself up off the ground. Do you have your dog's identification papers or card? (Again here it's illegal for them not to have them). Legally you must present them if asked. The dog should have a vest or collar on it with clear identification stating it is a service dog (please do not pet), what organization is responsible for its training and pairing it up with you. It should also have a clear card pocket stating the dog's name, ID number, age, etc and most importantly what its used for. This is so that if you are rendered unconscious for whatever reason then paramedics can know if there is any medication that they shouldn't give you ever (for instance for certain heart issues issuing certain drugs can kill you) and to ascertain that whatever caused your unconscious state was not because of a medical condition. (For instance if you're diabetic. And the dog is there for that then they would also make checking your levels a priority rather then let's check this since nothing else is working. It could very well mean life or death, which is why it's now a legal requirement)
    Oh, did you also know it's considered a provincial crime to claim a dog is a service dog when it isn't. If you go to the lengths of fake ID/paperwork and a fake vest it becomes federal.
    Kid: que stammering and quickly leaving the building quickly.

Later on returning to car.

Kid and friends: your cars parked illegally. I'm gonna call a tow truck.
    Me: not worried, it will take at least 20min to get here.
    Kid: my dads a cop. I'll just call him.
    Me: oh? And what number will you use?
    Kid: lists the non-emergency number (probably pulled off google)
    Me: bullshit. If you were actually a cops kid you would be using a direct line where you would then have to type in numbers as the robot asks to get what particular part of law enforcement (cop covers a wide area) and if your dad was a patrolling officer then they would patch you directly to the car via the radio system in the car, which depending on gear that they've got would possibly mean using the little hand radio to communicate. Because news flash, they don't generally want even cop kids to be bugging their officers at work. If there's an emergency, they'll either call you or dispatch will call them directly instead of making you jump through hoops. Or just use his fucking cell phone.
    Kid: you're just jealous.
    Me *after I stop laughing so hard I'm tearing up*: Jealous of a little shit like you honey? Really? I go skydiving. I have military training that by rights as a civilian now I shouldn't be allowed to have. I am qualified long distance precision marksman. (My dear Russian grandma taught me. Picture a female Yoda with a Russian accent and more crazy then an entire insane asylum all together) ever sit on a 1200lb animal and ride it over a series of 4ft high fences? No? Do you know the adrenaline rush of jumping out of a plane at 50,000ft? So high you can see the curve of the earth and have to where a mask just to breath?(technically two if you count the prebreathing). No? Ever glory in the looks of 40yr old men as you out shoot them? Have you even held anything more dangerous then a plastic knife? No? Have you ever practiced any form of martial arts? Ever bowed to your teacher as they present you with a second Dan blackbelt? Felt pride in how far you've come from not being able to throw a punch or do so much as a shoulder roll? Do you do parkour/freerunning every Sunday even though the wall still outsmarts me? No? Then what the hell do I have to be jealous of little boy? Have you even had sex yet?"

Don't know what he said back if anything because I got in my car, cranked my music and left before I decided to show him my actual skill set reserved generally for non-civilians.
    Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

When D-rank "talent" meets S-Rank... AND NOBODY CAUGHT IT ON VIDEO!

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
      When D-rank "talent" meets S-Rank... AND NOBODY CAUGHT IT ON VIDEO!
      That's alright. I'm pretty sure that PWN moment just balances out the vulture incident at my new volunteer job.
      Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Out of all of that I bet the last one hurt the most.

I'm tolerant of everyone and everything except for assholes. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
          My dear Russian grandma taught me. Picture a female Yoda with a Russian accent and more crazy then an entire insane asylum all together
          She sounds like an awesome person and I would definitely love to meet her
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Pretty sure that pwnage was visible from orbit.
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I had that shit Sunday, this fucking ratty dickhole drags his dog in to the grocery store and it kept jumping up. I had much of the same convo.
              AkaiKitsune
              Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
                I had that shit Sunday, this fucking ratty dickhole drags his dog in to the grocery store and it kept jumping up. I had much of the same convo.
                People don't seem to realize that even if it was a legit service dog, you can still ask them to leave if the dog is misbehaving because now it has become a safety hazard for other customers for which the business is responsible for.

Comment

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
                  People don't seem to realize that even if it was a legit service dog, you can still ask them to leave if the dog is misbehaving because now it has become a safety hazard for other customers for which the business is responsible for.
                  I'm pretty sure hardly anybody knows that, or that you can demand proof that it IS a service dog.

Probably depends on where you are, though. I'm in Ontario; I've always been told you can't ask for any proof.
                  Last edited by Pixelated; 07-27-2018, 04:36 AM.
                  Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I've lost count of the number of YouTube videos I've seen with some irate person recording their argument with some poor store employee asking them for proof that their misbehaving mutt is a "service dog". I think people do it just so they don't have to leave their dog in the car. How about leaving them HOME?!

Comment

I had heard that here in Minnesota, businesses can't require documentation that an animal is a service animal. I verified that here. However, it says the only animals that qualify as service animals are dogs and miniature horses. And "A dog whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support does not qualify as a service animal."

So it seems (in Minnesota, at least) that a dog that's being unruly, or treated as a pet rather than a service animal, would rightly be asked to leave. But the employees can't ask for tags or other documentation that it's a service dog. Seems a little weird.

Anyroad, that was an epic pwn, AkaiKitsune!
                      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                      -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                        I think people do it just so they don't have to leave their dog in the car. How about leaving them HOME?!
                        We can't leave mum's rescue dog at home; he has massive separation anxiety after years in and out of rescue centres (his last stint was 11 months before he found a forever home with mum). It's taken us just over a year to get him to trust us enough to settle down; we don't want to stress that by trying to leave him alone. He's such a social dog (he's not happy unless he's in the same room as someone) that even taking out the bins can stress him out (although he's calmed down on that now).

With us it's simple; if there's no-one at home to dog-sit, and we can't take him wherever it is with us, we don't go. There are plenty of dog-friendly pubs around, so it's never really been an issue. When mum was in hospital and my sister needed to do the weekly shop, I drove her there (she doesn't drive), sat in the car with the dog cuddled up against me and waited for her to finish. We got out at one point to give him a quick walk and a drink, then curled up again. I fielded many, many people wanting to say "hi" to him (he now trusts us enough to protect him so he's happy to be petted so long as people don't lunge at him) and zoned listening to music.
                        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                          With us it's simple; if there's no-one at home to dog-sit, and we can't take him wherever it is with us, we don't go.
                          This. This kind of logic is beyond so many people nowadays...
                          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                            I'm pretty sure hardly anybody knows that, or that you can demand proof that it IS a service dog.

Probably depends on where you are, though. I'm in Ontario; I've always been told you can't ask for any proof.
                            Definitely depends on where you are. I work cons in the states and we are permitted to ask exactly two questions: Is this a service dog that is required because of a disability? and What service is this dog trained to perform? Exact wording. Even then, we can't ask if the animal is wearing a vest. We are not permitted to request proof, even though they are required to have it.

Where we do see issues frequently is that the dog is not under the direct control of the handler: lunging, barking, pulling the lead, and our favorite- not housebroken.

And I say "dog" everywhere because I have yet to see anyone bring a service miniature horse yet...
                            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

This wasn't just a wonderful serving of PWNADE(TM)...

...this was a glorious PWNZER strike!
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                              X