This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can read a label

Unlike my brilliant CW's, I actually have the brainpower to figure out that when an item is labelled for room 102, that means that it is supposed to go to room 102. Also, unlike my cw's, I know how to read plans, so when I am in room 102, with the item labelled for 102, I can place it in the exact location where the designer intended it to be placed. What I cannot do is find this location when the item is nowhere to be seen on the plans.

Now this should be no big deal. Plans get revised all the time. Typically by the time it reaches me, it's on revision 10 or even 50; I've seen plans get revised literally before they are even finished printing. So all this means is that this item got added on and I didn't get the updated plans. All the vendor has to do is look at the "final" revision and see the location of our mystery item.

But that's far too simple of a solution. Isn't it much easier to just assume that the person you are dealing with is a complete moron? Yes, that's a better option, so I'm just going to tell him that it's for room 102.

Yes, thank you Vendor. I am well aware that an item labelled for room 102 is supposed to go to room 102. The problem, as I originally stated, is that this item is not on the plans, so I do not know where it is to be placed in room 102. This prompts a phone call.

SC: So this item isn't on your plans?
    Me: No, I thought I made that clear.
    SC: What is it?
    Me: It's a 2 seater couch
    SC: Okay, they go right in front of the table.
    Me: No, the 2 single seats go in front of the table, this is a separate couch that is not on the plans.
    SC: Yes, the 2 seats in front of the table
    Me: NO! There are 2 seats, they are placed as per the plans already. I am talking about the couch that is not on the plans.
    SC: So it doesn't go where the 2 seats are?
    Me: No, the 2 seats go where the 2 seats go. The couch is not on the plans at all.
    SC: What is the part number?
    Me: All the information is on the label that I sent to you
    SC: I don't know how to get the part number.
    Me: (Seriously?!? How the hell do you keep your job?) Fine, I'll look up the part number and send it to you.

So I send her the part number. All she has to do is look at her plans. Failing that, contact someone who doesn't have their head up their ass to get them to tell her. But no, much better to call me and treat me like a moron once again. This time she is adamant that the couch goes where the 2 seats are supposed to go. Her "logic" behind this conclusion? Well you see, part number 3362 is so close to being part number 3361 that this must be the location for it. Okay, so let's see if I'm understanding you here. The 2 chairs, part number 3361 DO NOT go on the marked location for 2 of part number 3361; where the plans show 2 of part number 3361, it is in fact supposed to be 1 of part number 3362. Whatever you say miss genius vendor, problem solved. But uh yeah, since I am not putting the 2 seats, part number 3361 in the space marked for part number 3361, where am I supposed to put them now? Oh, um..... gee, she will have to look into this for me. Yeah, you do that dumbass, but get me an answer fast because I am not getting paid to sit around waiting for you to pull your head out of your ass.

She never managed to pull her head out of her ass. I picked a reasonable spot for the couch and called it a day. If someone doesn't like it, call someone who cares.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Are you sure you haven't died and this is your personal Hell?
    My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

Shhhh. Don't TELL him...
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth YamiNoHime View Post
        Hell?!? Hell would be like Club Med compared to this shit!

I don't know which god I have pissed off, I tried apologizing to all of them but they didn't accept it.
        D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
        Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

I remember this sorta shit from when I worked construction. The guy that ran everyone on the ground didn’t know how to read blueprints. He couldn’t tell if things were supposed to me in metric or imperial and would wing it. I eventually told him to fuck off while I did his job. Then when my contract was up I moved on.

Is there anyway for them to email a picture of the latest copy of that plan? Or at least for the damn room? How hard can it be for the other person to simply snap a picture from wherever the latest copy is stored and just go “here, you figure it out.”? I don’t know if you are using actual paper printed plans or if you have an electronic version but every plan and blueprint I’ve ever worked with has been pretty damn clear where everything goes.
          Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
            .. but every plan and blueprint I’ve ever worked with has been pretty damn clear where everything goes.
            Except when the client changes things and doesn't put the changes on the plan or blueprint. Or send you the updated version.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth YamiNoHime View Post
              Not quite that was Room 102, not 101.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Wow. Good reference
                My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                  Not quite that was Room 102, not 101.
                  Hmm, my greatest fear? Working for complete morons, with complete morons, with morons for customers, ... and not having any clean underwear.

Phew, I was worried I actually was in 101
                  D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Comment

Bad news, Homer. The washing machine's on the fritz.

Comment

Quoth evilhomer View Post
                      Unlike my brilliant CW's, I actually have the brainpower to figure out that when an item is labelled for room 102, that means that it is supposed to go to room 102. Also, unlike my cw's, I know how to read plans, so when I am in room 102, with the item labelled for 102, I can place it in the exact location where the designer intended it to be placed.... (snip)
                      ... Isn't it much easier to just assume that the person you are dealing with is a complete moron?
                      To be fair, it seems that assuming someone who works for your company is too stupid to read plans and/or shipping labels has a 90%+ chance of being correct.

I, too, hate it when people I've never met assume I'm incompetent. And I take no solace in knowing that if they just treat every stranger they encounter that way, they are usually right.

Comment

Working...
                      X