Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah yes the whole argument Lord of the Rings is good Harry Potter is evil strangeness.

My Zealot BIL tried that one with me back long ago when we where still speaking. He claimed that LOTR was acceptable because it was an allegorical story of christ's journey and rebirth and the christian belief of redemption while Potter was just a book of vile darkness tempting children into pagen and devil worship.....

And all this he knew even though he had never cracked the covers of a Potter book and was proud to say he would never touch that filth.

What a lovely attitude for a MINISTER to have!

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
      So, where's your version?

Rapscallion

I stopped. My friend convinced me that I should go as a Moogle to the party. I almost killed him with a rolled up issue of Truckin' magazine.

Comment

I love the "Harry Potter" is evil campaign. It's so fun to tell those people that I'm a practicing Necromancer, and Harry Potter can't even being to touch on the summonings of the daemons that live in the outer world. Then go into a summoning routine, complete with Lovecraftian words, and watch their eyes go a batty. It's great. Especially the one or two that tried to "expel the devil from within" only for me to look up and exclaim "The devil I am not. I am merely his keeper, his master. HE DOES MY BIDDING!!!! *evil laugh*" I had a black cloak too that went missing.
        It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.
        ~~~H.L. Mencken

Comment

Quoth Aldous View Post
          I love the "Harry Potter" is evil campaign. It's so fun to tell those people that I'm a practicing Necromancer, and Harry Potter can't even being to touch on the summonings of the daemons that live in the outer world. Then go into a summoning routine, complete with Lovecraftian words, and watch their eyes go a batty. It's great. Especially the one or two that tried to "expel the devil from within" only for me to look up and exclaim "The devil I am not. I am merely his keeper, his master. HE DOES MY BIDDING!!!! *evil laugh*" I had a black cloak too that went missing.
          Heh. I'll whip out the Demonic Voice Of Evil on those guys occasionally. Some quick nonsense, including scraps of Klingon, a Loctar Ogar (bonus for anyone who gets this one) or two, and plenty of gibberish made up on the spot, accompanied by a 'devil horns' (aka ROCK ON!) gesture pointed at them tends to have a great effect. It helps if it's near the 4th and a friend with 'snappers' happens to be behind them.
          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

"The Harry Potter is evil" campaign would amuse me, but the short-sightedness of these people piss me off. If they think that fantasy series is evil, they may as well ban the Chronicles of Narnia (a series I love), which deals with magic, witchcraft, and occasionally violence... and was written by a devout Christian.
            "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

Quoth Rahmota View Post
              My Zealot BIL tried that one with me back long ago when we where still speaking. He claimed that LOTR was acceptable because it was an allegorical story of christ's journey and rebirth and the christian belief of redemption while Potter was just a book of vile darkness tempting children into pagen and devil worship.....
              Kind of ironic, since (if I recall correctly, though I probably don't) Tolkien despised allegory. I think I'll just stick with the idea of Middle-earth merely being a far-ancient version of England and Europe.

..which reminds me, I still need to come up with a symbol for one of my DnD charaters. She became a goddess.
              "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Quoth Hon'ya-chan View Post
                Oh, don't remind me. I still have to assemble my Bellatrix Lestrange Costume. Problem is, it shows too much clevage.
                Netting. Skin-tone, ivory or black netting in the cleavage, rising as high as you need it to. Or lace, if you prefer.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I miss all the fun. I have yet to be accosted by a Harry Potter Is Evil weirdo. I think, though, that I will make up a non-existant part of the book to refer to..You know, something really over the top...in case I ever am. I will tell the weirdo that THAT scene is what turned me into an demon-possessed minion of Satan.

That way, the weirdo will look even MORE nutzoid when he goes off and repeats the story.

It will provide a lot of entertainment for his next victim, I'm sure.

Help me out here, what would be a completely over the top chapter-that- never-was to explain my descent into hell?

Comment

Quoth Bloodsoul View Post
                    Kind of ironic, since (if I recall correctly, though I probably don't) Tolkien despised allegory. I think I'll just stick with the idea of Middle-earth merely being a far-ancient version of England and Europe.
                    Tolkien did despised allegory, his good friend C.S. Lewis loved allegory writing. That another Christian author that did heavy magic and fantasy world. Feel free to throw his works into those nuts faces.

My personal favorite of C.S. Lewis is The Screwtapes Letters. If you haven't read it, oh it's a blast. Warning, screwtape is demon. the whole book is about that demon's life. Talk about allegory writings.
                    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
                      My personal favorite of C.S. Lewis is The Screwtapes Letters. If you haven't read it, oh it's a blast. Warning, screwtape is demon. the whole book is about that demon's life. Talk about allegory writings.
                      I have the audiobook, read by John Cleese. It's great, especially the bit where Screwtape is freaking out at Wormwood.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Blueberry View Post
                        So my bookstore is having a giant Harry Potter launch.
                        We will have circus acts, magicians, bands, facepainting, etc.
                        So today the Graphic designer and I looked out the window and saw a guy making balloon animals and hats for kids. So we thought, Hey, wouldn't it be great to have a guy doing that at our Potter thing?
                        Like a good little manager I went over to him.
                        Me-Excuse me sir, I'm from the bookstore across the street and we were wondering if you could come to our Harry Potter party and...'
                        Guy cuts me off, looks at me like I crawled from a sewer:
                        -Oh NO. I serve the LORD JESUS CHRIST and NOT THAT DEVIL HARRY POTTER!
                        Me-Um. Okay...Thank you for your time....
                        Guy-It's just this weird thing I have, I SERVE THE LORD JESUS CHRIST.
                        I back away slowly.
                        He also smelled as if he had been looking for Jesus at the bottoms of a lot of beer cans.
                        The guy in our store who will be playing Harry Potter at the party was thinking of dressing up like Harry, going over to the balloon guy, and pointing a wand at him while screaming 'THE POWER OF HARRY POTTER COMPELS YOU!'
                        Tell him to point the wand and scream "Sectumsempra", or "Cruico" or "avada kedavra"
                        Last edited by mafiagodfather; 07-07-2007, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                          Netting. Skin-tone, ivory or black netting in the cleavage, rising as high as you need it to. Or lace, if you prefer.
                          I already scrapped it in favor of another costume.

Comment

Quoth mafiagodfather View Post
                            Tell him to point the wand and scream "Sectumsempra", or "Cruico" or "avada kedavra"
                            I've never read any Harry Potter, but would "Circumcissio" work?

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                              I've never read any Harry Potter, but would "Circumcissio" work?

Rapscallion
                              They only way to find out is to try it. That is if he has something to circumcissio in the first place.

Comment

One of these times, when some crazy christian-holier-than-thou comes up to me when im reading harry potter in the park, i just want to shut the book. Set it aside,take off my pentagram necklace, hold it up like they do with their crosses and say : No, back you holy pieace of shit. Back or I'll hit you with this book. It's a pretty good size, I'm sure it'll knock what little brain cells you have out of your head."

*walks off to park to find next victim*
                                Just because they serve you, doesn't mean they like you. And just because they smile and act polite doesn't mean they aren't planning to destroy you.

"I put the laughter in slaughter."

Comment

Working...
                                X