X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I can read!" And other tales

"I Can Read!"
    Older lady came in wanting to book a flight online. She really was a sweet person--much better than a good number of elderly people I deal with. The problem was, my lab was full with a line going out the door. Whoopee. So, I see if one of our Word computers outside the lab is available. Enter Mr Grumpy Gills (as always, fresh cookies for the movie reference). Last week, the computer he was using kept shutting down unexpectedly. It happens. Someone probably downloaded some malware through Limewire. But instead of being mildly annoyed, he was PISSED. At me, the poor lab assistant who could only beg for mercy from the Microsoft demons, and for some reason they were displeased.

Anywho, I see him heading for one of the Word computers and thinking it's the last one, I ask him if he needs it for Word processing. Those computers are connected to the Internet for job/school/business uses, but usually we're kicking people off for using MySpace/Facebook. His answer:

"YES. That's what the tag says. I can read."

Eureka! Glad to see SOMEONE around here can. Even if you really need an attitude adjustment, which I'd be happy to provide with a rusty spork. A simple, polite "yes" would have sufficed, but congratulations on your literacy.

Luckily, there was another computer open, and I was able to get Sweet Old Lady squared away.

Reading Comprehension Fail
    So, Sucky Job Seeker is back. Last time she was here, she handed me her cell phone to talk to two different HR reps for instructions on getting to/filling out the online job application. She is one who knows enough about computers to be dangerous. One of her job postings sent a rejection response because 1) she did not fill out all relevent parts of the app, and 2) did not include a resume. The e-mail stated that particular opening was closed, and advised she go back to the website for further opportunities. I was able to gleen the above information from a quick glance at the e-mail message.

What is Sucky Job Seeker to do? If you guessed follow the instructions, I've got beach front property in Kansas to sell you. She decides to reply to the e-mail to ask what other jobs are available. Fine. So I walk her through how to reply to an e-mail. Click "Reply," type message in the big box, click "Send." Somehow this was confusing.

Ok. E-mail is sent. Then comes "So that had my resume, right?" D'oh! Somebody failed to mention she wanted to send an e-mail with a copy of her resume attached. Let's review. The job she applied for is no longer available. She also failed to follow instructions on the original app. But who am I to tell people they really are stupid and should spontaneously combust, thus removing themselves from the gene pool, right? She also has one of those newfangled stick things she doesn't know how to use. It was in the wrong port, so the computer didn't recongize it, causing much growling and grumbling from me. I'm beyond annoyed at this point as this is my THIRD time dealing with Sucky Job Seeker, but I show her which buttons to click to attach the resume file.

SJS: How do I pull it up to make sure it's the right one?
    Me: ( ) You have to open the file in Word.
    SJS: *vacant stare*
    Me: ( ) Cancel that [file attachment] box. Minimize your e-mail window. No, not that button! Yes, that button. Now open Word.
    SJS: *goes to click on the Publisher icon*
    Me: Does that look like "Word" to you? No, click on the big blue W. *she clicks* Twice. *she clicks again, gets the rename function* No, click out on the desktop somewhere. Now click twice REALLY FAST. *finally succeedes in opening Word*
    SJS: Now what?
    Me: Go to Open. *pause for her to make a feeble attempt at locating the magic button* Use either the folder icon or go under File.
    SJS: *mouse goes to Save icon* This one?
    Me: *brain to mouth filter fail* Does it say Open?
    SJS: Oh. *clicks the right one*
    Me: Now, find your flash drive.
    SJS: *stare*
    Me: Click in the top box and tell the computer to look in your flash drive.
    SJS: This one?
    Me: Yes! Now, open the file you want.
    SJS: *clicks a file, once, stares*
    Me: Twice
    SJS: *clicks again, gets the rename function*
    Me: No, click in the white. Now click twice REALLY FAST! (yes, we went through this twice)
    SJS: *does so* This one's ok, I guess.
    Me: Super! Alright, go back to your e-mail window...*rinse, lather, repeat on attaching the stupid file to her stupid e-mail*

Thought all was quiet until she wanted to take out that newfangled stick thing. Had to walk her through that too.

I'm thinking she's not getting a job anytime soon.

Meetings
    Dear B,
    I know keeping track of a hectic schedule such as yours is tough. That's why I stopped by your office before we even opened. If you tell me to come back at 10:15, FRAKKING BE THERE AT 10:15!! I can forgive a few minutes late; I understand sometimes other meetings run late, and time gets away from us, but do NOT leave me standing outside your office being stared down by creepy people for half an hour before I give up and go back to work. Almost two hours later, still no word on actually meeting with you. I think I'll be "busy" the rest of the day.

Sincerely,
    Jedi
    Last edited by MadMike; 12-29-2008, 11:44 PM.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Finding Nemo. I'll take oatmeal raisin.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
      [SIZE=2] Enter Mr Grumpy Gills (as always, fresh cookies for the movie reference)
      Just keep swimming, Marlin!
      Oh come on, you gotta make em hard...

Damn, missed 'em by a minute! I knew I shouldn't have waited to read the whole post.
      Last edited by Imogene; 12-29-2008, 11:22 PM. Reason: Gracious concession speech.
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

If she doesn't know much about computers, then why was she applying for jobs online?? Whatever happened to the good ol' fashion way of walking in and asking for an application, or presenting a hard copy of your resume?
        This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Quoth karma_gypsy View Post
          If she doesn't know much about computers, then why was she applying for jobs online?? Whatever happened to the good ol' fashion way of walking in and asking for an application, or presenting a hard copy of your resume?
          Sadly, at least in my area, more and more people don't give out applications, they just tell you to go online
          Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
            Thought all was quiet until she wanted to take out that newfangled stick thing. Had to walk her through that too.
            Wait, you had to walk her through on how to remove a flash drive?

Let's see:

Step 1: Grab hold of said Flash Drive with fingers.
            Step 2: Pull.

Exactly, HOW stupid is this lady? Using a knife and fork is more difficult than that... does she not feed herself?
            <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post

Exactly, HOW stupid is this lady? Using a knife and fork is more difficult than that... does she not feed herself?
              She probably just jams her face right into the plate, like a dog.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Actually, you should disconnect it from the task bar before physically pulling it out.

However, in story 2, I can save you a lot of headache. In that attachment window thingy ... just right-click the file and select Open. The default would be something like "Insert" to add it to the email, but "Open" will be an option. It'll automagically open Word and display the doco. Mucho faster and easier.

I have a guy at work like that for meetings. Never is available. Granted, he does have a lot, some run late etc, and sometimes he is required for "urgent" things that mean he can't make a meeting. But never ... NEVER ... available when he said he would be. OTOH, he's almost always open for a quick chat if you actually catch him IN his office for a change, so it works out most of the time.

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
                  Actually, you should disconnect it from the task bar before physically pulling it out.
                  Nah, that's not necessary for USB devices. The only way you're really gonna do any damage is if you're actively writing to the drive at the same moment you yank it out.

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
                    However, in story 2, I can save you a lot of headache. In that attachment window thingy ... just right-click the file and select Open.
                    My impression of the job-seeker is that the concept of a right-click is too far advanced for it to be successful.
                    That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

We also have our right click mostly disabled. IT finally deemed to turn it on for Office programs, but that's about it. Sucks too.

Although I think you may be correct on it being too advanced for her.
                      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Wait, you had to walk her through on how to remove a flash drive?

Let's see:

Step 1: Grab hold of said Flash Drive with fingers.
                        Step 2: Pull.

Sadly, its an issue of people refusing to learn. They're not idiots, they just somehow refuse to learn. After all, why should they when they can just summon another person to do things for them?

My mother does much the same. The conversation in the OP is almost exactly the kind of conversation I have with her when dealing with computer issues. She seems to function just fine on her own, but as soon as I'm in the room she instantly forgets everything, relying 100% on me, to the point where she doesn't even bother to read the screen.

Comment

Quoth Kyree View Post
                          Sadly, at least in my area, more and more people don't give out applications, they just tell you to go online
                          Well, given how many jobs require working with a computer it's a good 'pre-test' for HR
                          Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Nah, that's not necessary for USB devices. The only way you're really gonna do any damage is if you're actively writing to the drive at the same moment you yank it out.
                            ... Which is why it would seem like a good idea to teach stupid people the "proper" way of popping/pulling a Thumb/Jump Drive. One less way for them to shot themselves in the foot!

(Plus, I get annoyed with my computer's unhappy message if I don't use the "proper" method.)
                            Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

Quoth Alpha Strike View Post
                              ... Which is why it would seem like a good idea to teach stupid people the "proper" way of popping/pulling a Thumb/Jump Drive. One less way for them to shot themselves in the foot!
                              awww... but they're only hurting themselves!

If they don't wanna listen when you tell them "Make sure you're not accessing the drive before you pull it out". It's their own damn fault!

(Yes... I'm vindictive and evil )

Really though, using the task bar utility for USB devices just closes the device out, which you can accomplish yourself, by merely closing the program you're using. It's really meant for the "swap drives" that you mostly see on Laptops (Where you can swap the CD Drive out for a floppy drive, or another harddrive), in those cases, it actually tells the computer to cut the power off to the device, since they can be damaged if they're even turned on when they are removed.
                              Last edited by Lingering Grin; 12-30-2008, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X