This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Desk Services

Okay I was talking about this in another thread and it died. So I'm going to ask it here. If you work in a grocery store or have worked in one, what services did you do besides listen to people complain. Thanks to a Super W opening across the street, my store has been downsized and I do the work of two people.

I'm countdown office, responsible for counting cashiers drawers and doing minimum accounting for the store's bookkeeper, and I'm customer service. It sucks and i'm constantly distracted.

Our customer service desk sells postage stamps, but they're never the one customers want. They'll complain about the picture on the stamp! GO TO THE POST OFFICE IF YOU WANT SELECTION. We sell lotto and have the agony of having to deal with the eldery, who are entirely too picky about lotto tickets and are always fudging up the lotto cards and blaming it on me.

We handle electric bill, and have to deal with people who complain about the price of energy and if their service got cut off. We have no affliation with the electrical company. All we do is accept bill payments, and at the end of the month it never fails to have a huge rush of people who wait till the absolute last minute to pay their bill. In the next month the power company is implementing a system that will notify us if the power company cannot accept a customers check....let the bitching begin now!

We accept Water dept. bills, and those are always a big pain in the ass. People try to pay the past due bills that clearly say the must be paid at the Water Dept office downtown, then bitch and moan to me when I can't accept it.

We also cash payroll checks, but we have tough policies that people never seem to understand. We have a huge sign, but will continue to walk up with shit that violates our policies. Also not to mention I'm constantly watching for people to scam us. We literally have a wall of photocopied bad checks...so I have to make sure that the check I'm taking is not a bad one. It's very annoying.

Not to mention the people who try to scam us by returning stuff. They never have a receipt and act really suprised when I tell them I can't give them cash back. 50 percent of the time it's people who buy stuff on EBT, wanting to get cash back to buy cigarettes. There is no such thing as store credit, and people can't grasp that concept. Also corporate has a scan gaurantee now that is a headache all in itself.

One fellow service desk employee had a box of chicken thrown at him. He had grease on his shirt, he called to the deli at the time and told us what happened...appearently the box had broken and this SC was mad because the chicken got on the leather seats of her car...boo-hoo uppity beeyotch. Since she attacked a fellow employee I took the returned chicken that had been on the floor of her car and repackaged it. Don't mess with us!

That's my service desk daily war, until I graduate college in May and find a real job. Feel free to respond.
    --AmericanZero8503--
    Telling Stories from the Front Line a.k.a Customer Service at a Grocery Store
Working...
X