Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Day at Big Red Wireless: Not As Bad As I Thought! (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Day at Big Red Wireless: Not As Bad As I Thought! (long)

Do excuse the wall of text please, I am wiped out from standing on my feet for eight hours straight.

What a mental 16 months it's been for me. I left Aid of Rite in March of 2013 (after being threatened to start smiling or be fired), and have been looking for a job since. In the past 16 months I've had a mental health issue uncovered (and am in treatment for it), applied to well over a hundred jobs, been playing a fairly popular MMO (and the story of the abuse from a friend I met and later lost might be told at a later time); worked at Popular Freelancing Website and avoided a scam; brushed up on my 2nd language and am learning a third and submitted a novel to the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award and lost. So...I didn't fall off the earth. I just haven't really been working.

So literally 2 weeks ago I woke on Monday, got a job interview, got offered the job Thursday and have completed a mountain of paperwork after months and months and months of being turned down for every job I applied for and having my mental issues slowly get worse. I woke for Big Red Wireless now. Well...I should say that I do but I don't: I temp for them. I work for Generic Temp Agency, who contract me to Big Red Wireless. I am essentially a greeter: I walk the store with my nifty iPad greeting customers and referring them to reps who help them get product. It's a little frustrating for me because I don't know enough about the products, can't really help customers get the products because the reps work on commission and they need their commission. When I worked for Aid of Rite I knew everything and did everything. Here, I'm being paid to stand, look pretty, smile and obsessively wipe fingerprints off screens. MUCH More money than I ever made at Aid of Rite but the work is more boring. So. We'll see.

As far as actual suck: surprisingly little! Most people took my deer in headlights looks and apologies that it was my first day in stride (and one older gentleman jokingly told me to go away). One woman did have a yell at one of my coworkers/reps (who I will call Josh) because her son wanted a new iPhone 5s and that it would cost her an extra $40/month to pay.

"I am on the Knife program and I shouldn't have to pay! You kids are so expensive!" Josh tried to calm her down but she wasn't having it and eventually stormed out.

One cute story: A customer came in with her 4 year old daughter and talked to rep Fringe about her phone crashing. Little girl started talking to me about her pretty pink Disney princess phone. When Fringe said to her mom "Oh yeah your phone keeps crashing?" little girl piped in with "Yes, my phone keep crashing too! It plays games and crashes and all kinds of sticker games!" I found it hilarious.

Phah, bedtime and then more work tomorrow! I hope it goes well.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Cute kid.

Also "Knife" program?
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
      Cute kid.

Also "Knife" program?
      The company has a popular rewards program that lets you get phones/tablets/accessories and the like for reduced cost. The program's named after the cutting part of a knife.
      Last edited by ralerin; 08-05-2014, 01:13 PM.
      Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Quoth ralerin View Post
        The company has a popular rewards program that lets you get phones/tablets/accessories and the like for reduced cost. The program's named after the cutting part of a knife.
        It's not a reduced cost.. it's basically phone financing*, where you make monthly payments and after X number of months, the phone becomes yours. If you cancel service before X number months are up, you're on the hook for the amount left to pay off the phone. If you use the program, you get some amount off the monthly service. (Of course, employees aren't eligible for that part of the program, but they can get the monthly financing.)

* DO NOT CALL IT PHONE FINANCING AT WORK!!! Even though that's what it is!
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Working...
        X