This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth fireheart View Post
    I seem to have the toughest iPhone around at the moment . It's taken quite a few hits and the only damage so far has been to the back cover.
    You may have some competition with my middle son's iPhone. This child has dropped it down stairs, had it fly out of his pocket while he was seeing how fast he could get his bike down a rather substantial hill (while his left leg was in a cast, but we won't go there...the doctor suggested duct tape), gotten thrown into a pool with the phone in his pocket, dropped it while playing the new and exciting game of "how many smart phones can I juggle at once", stepped on it more times than I can count, and I'm sure a number of other incidents I haven't heard of.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Shangri-laschild View Post
      This is why I have a waterproof case (Lifeproof cases actually say waterproof, not water resistant). I think even if I had a phone that claimed to be waterproof, it would still be going in the case anyway. I do wish people would learn the difference between the two words. And yes, I still am careful about how much water it gets exposed to. Mostly it's just rain and showers.
      I've actually seen the lifeproof cases fail dramatically. And the company won't take responsibility for the phone, just the case. There is no such thing as a lifeproof anything.

Comment

I'm old enough to remember "water resistant" and "splash resistant" wristwatches. The "water resistant" ones were rated to a particular depth, often as much as 50 metres - you need scuba gear to get that deep. Meanwhile I once had a cheap "splash resistant" one which failed after being left in a rather humid shoe in the changing-room locker while I went swimming - at no point was it immersed.

But even though most of the better watches were tested to 50m pressures, and were functionally waterproof as far as typical consumers were concerned, no watch manufacturer would dare claim "waterproof". This probably leads to the current confusion - people still associate "water resistant" with "50 metres depth".

Comment

I am ashamed to admit that hubby is a SC when he comes to his phone. I don't have one. So I still don't understand the obsession. I use it a few hours to run apps to make a little money for christmas.

Hubby was in the army. And as such those guys are tough on their phones. And hubby is an idiot. He can't put it in a locker or a pocket, no he has to hold it 24/7. He even sleeps with the damn thing. Of course the one time he put it in his pocket. He forgot to take it out before he washed those pants.

Couldn't be his fault.

Had to be mine. NVM that I didn't do the laundry that day. I should remind him to make sure his phone isn't swimming in the washing machine.

Obviously when we called the cell company they were like gee that sucks. good thing you have insurance and you been a good custy for x years. We can get you a brand new phone for 150. Thats a new phone and a newer model. Hubby pitched a fit that it wasn't free.

Well dear. Thats phone number 4 you have destroyed and the first 3 were replaced free. Two cause of a manufacturer defect not our fault but probably not helped by his man hands squashing buttons. and the 3rd was because hes a damn idiot. So 150 seemed reasonable to me.

"JUST CANCEL MY ACCOUNT!" (Its in my name so they ignored that) and insert profanities and all sorts of nonsense.

Ended up switching providers cause he wanted a phone free and wouldn't budge.

I worked in retail so I get it. And he is usually nice to every other slave in the store or restaurant but the Cell phone slaves got it bad sorry.

Comment

Quoth Orgaloth View Post
            I've actually seen the lifeproof cases fail dramatically. And the company won't take responsibility for the phone, just the case. There is no such thing as a lifeproof anything.
            I've had good luck so far and at least it's better for me than not having it in the case. I'm bad about accidentally dropping my phone onto hard or wet surfaces.
            "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Yeah, generally I ignore claims something is waterproof unless it's scuba gear. granted, i'm pretty sure my iPhone's survived rain on it before. but taking it into the pool? nope.

Comment

I hope

Quoth cleorose View Post
                "JUST CANCEL MY ACCOUNT!" (Its in my name so they ignored that) and insert profanities and all sorts of nonsense.

Ended up switching providers cause he wanted a phone free and wouldn't budge.

I worked in retail so I get it. And he is usually nice to every other slave in the store or restaurant but the Cell phone slaves got it bad sorry.
                I hope you kept your phone on your old account, that way anything goes wrong is 100% his problem to deal with from then on. Meanwhile you can build a good record for your phone plan.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post

I can almost guarantee that whatever genius at Samsung decided to go with a "water resistant" feature had zero experience with SCs.
                  It also doesn't help when the salesperson at the store tells you that since it is water resistant, "you can take a shower with it".

And for the record, I have absolutely no intention of actually testing that out with my new galaxy 5.

Comment

Quoth Orgaloth View Post
                    Took a call over this the other day, I felt so bad for the (NOT sucky in any way) customer because she had a legit complaint but she found herself between <red checkmark>, Samsung and Lifeproof. I predict much passing of the buck in her future, sadly.
                    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                      Took a call over this the other day, I felt so bad for the (NOT sucky in any way) customer because she had a legit complaint but she found herself between <red checkmark>, Samsung and Lifeproof. I predict much passing of the buck in her future, sadly.
                      Unfortunately the lifeproof warranty card states that they won't be held responsible for any damage sustained to the phone and only to the case. It's on their website as well. The customer does the right thing and tries to protect their phone with something that says it's "shock, water and dust proof ", and then have nothing to stand on when their phone breaks.

Comment

I gets worse

It is not all the SCs fault! Yesterday I saw my first TV ad for one of these cell phones.

They show it surviving rain, splashes, mud and no-one worries about it. In-fact you don't see anyone trying to protect their phone and then it gets bad!

They show the phone falling into water and staying immersed, and no-one is taking it back out. The ad implies that you can leave it there.

The SCs are bad, but they are also being misled to think that way.

Of-course a little thought on their own part is too much to ask.

Comment

And when something goes wrong, they blame the carrier, not the manufacturers.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                            It is not all the SCs fault! Yesterday I saw my first TV ad for one of these cell phones.

They show it surviving rain, splashes, mud and no-one worries about it. In-fact you don't see anyone trying to protect their phone and then it gets bad!

They show the phone falling into water and staying immersed, and no-one is taking it back out. The ad implies that you can leave it there.

The SCs are bad, but they are also being misled to think that way.

Of-course a little thought on their own part is too much to ask.
                            The first ad I saw for those water resistant phones, was from Bell up here, and showed people jumping off the docks at a lake with the phone and snapping pictures while underwater and such. In the small print they say to make sure all the port plugs are in place and to make sure it's in freshwater only and only good for a few feet of depth or something.

Even then, I was shaking my head at the calls the CSR's would be getting with those phones once those ads started.

Comment

But

Quoth Jetfire View Post
                              ... make sure it's in freshwater only ...
                              I have been in public pools that have so much chloride for health safety that my very black swim trunks turned light grey.

I bet the SCs will not realize that does not really count as fresh water, and think their phones are safe.

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
                                The first ad I saw for those water resistant phones, was from Bell up here, and showed people jumping off the docks at a lake with the phone and snapping pictures while underwater and such. In the small print they say to make sure all the port plugs are in place and to make sure it's in freshwater only and only good for a few feet of depth or something.

Even then, I was shaking my head at the calls the CSR's would be getting with those phones once those ads started.
                                Precisely. In order for the water resistance to apply, a Lifeproof case has to be properly secured and sealed (you know, to make it water TIGHT). Anything comes loose or gets knocked out of place even slightly on the seals and bye bye water protection.

It's simple physics.
                                "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Working...
                                X